“Best indian food I've ever had”
Review of Crown of India

Crown of India
Ranked #2,223 of 11,892 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 21
Cuisines: Indian
Neighbourhood: Hollywood
Neighbourhood: Hollywood
Reviewed 16 May 2016 via mobile

I ordered the coconut curry with chicken. I got the dinner special for $15.95, with two sides, rice, and a salad. It was so much food! I was glad to have it because I stuffed my face. This place is a new favorite! You have to try it.

Reviewed 2 May 2016

We read some folks' review & was curious. We wanted some good Indian food. Hard to find in the North East. We are from South India.
We got to Crown of India at 2:00pm. We were please with how hospitable the wait staff was. The lunch specials were quite good. Taste, quality, quantity exceeded our expectation.
I ordered chicken korma. The others in my party ordered lamb vindaloo, chicken vindaloo, chicken tikka masala curry, tandoori chicken, garlic naan. The sides were either spinach or chick peas. Everyone in our party was very satisfied. Every order was very pleasing. Just blown away by the portions served. We definitely will return to this restaurant when we come back to this area.

1  Thank S V
Reviewed 28 April 2016

This place is a very solid, no frills Indian restaurant. We went with three other people after attending a movie at the Indian Film Festival down the street a few weeks ago (~2pm). The place wasn't crowded, as they were an hour away from closing for a few hours before their dinner shift. Service was very friendly and relatively quick. They have an extensive vegetarian section of the menu, as well as meat and fish, so there's really something for everyone! You can choose to get your dishes mild, medium or spicy. They're known for their spicy, but we got everything medium, out of concern spicy may be too much and not fun to eat. Medium wasn't bad at all, but I could see how spicy may be too much! (Side note, my stomach didn't feel great afterward, which I attribute to the spice more than the food).

We shared a few dishes, including:

- Yellow Tarka Dhal - Good creaminess to it. Almost more of a soupy texture, so a great topping for other foods and naan.

- Begen Bharta - Mix of eggplant, onions and tomatoes. The added vegetables didn't upstage the eggplant as can sometimes happen. A great mix and very well-spiced.

- Bhindi - This was definitely a bit oily but the flavors itself were fantastic in this dish. The okra and onion were cooked to perfection!

- Shahi Panner - This was just okay. They said it wasn't to be missed, but the shredded panner was less satisfying than other panner we've had. I tend to avoid panner anyway, but my husband who usually loves it was underwhelmed.

- There were one or two meat dishes as well which we didn't have, but our dining companions enjoyed them.

- Chai Tea - My husband had this and thought the flavor was lacking and a bit dull, not full of spice and body like many other chais.

- Naan - Very good and not too buttered. Fluffy and the perfect vessel for getting all of the extra sauces!

Dishes were reasonably priced, and after a bunch of naans, about five or six entree dishes and four chai teas, I think we only paid around $20 each, including tax and tip. Very reasonable considering how stuffed we felt.

1  Thank Jackie_R_7289
Reviewed 23 December 2015

If you're from the UK and want a papadom you recognise, don't order any here. You get the tasteless, herb variety here.

Food was below average to average but portions are pretty big.

Reviewed 15 July 2015

We went there around 2.30 PM. We had few vegetarian dishes along with soup and rice. Vegetable soup was very thin. We had Indian lussy. But it tasted like butter milk. We had Alu mutter and dal fry. Both tasted very good. The soup tasting like South Indian rasam and lussy tasting like butter milk, the food combination was equivalent to South Indian thali but tasty