“Stumbled into this famous restaurant and it was impressive!”
Review of Chef Chu's

Chef Chu's
Ranked #1 of 97 Restaurants in Los Altos
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 25 October 2018

There was a long wait but we had a drink at the bar. I heard their Mai Tai was one of their specialties so I gave it a try! WoW! What a delicious drink and one was enough to give a buz for quite some time. I saw that bartender pouring the drinks and man, he is not skimpy! The wait was not long at all, much shorter than expected. The atmosphere at this restaurant is not the best, the restaurant is small and we sit very close to each other, but the food is superb! I was with one other person and we shared a seafood soup, which was delicious and we shared a couple of plates and they were all delicious! Large servings, good service, GREAT food! While in Palo Alto you have to try it!

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 22 October 2018

I was quite impressed with Chef Chu’s restaurant.

I ordered from the luncheon menu – both the quality and the taste of the Rainbow Fish Fillet were excellent. The meal consisted of a fairly large portion of white fish and some vegetables sautéed in a mild, but tasty white wine sauce.

The Chef Chu’s lunch meal comes with rice (brown or steamed) and soup or spring roll. I chose the hot and sour soup and it was excellent; I think it was the best hot and sour soup I have tasted in a long while. But the menu says “soup of the day,” so I am guessing that sometimes they have other soups.

A maître d/host seats customer and he was cordial.

I liked my waiter. All of the waiters are well-dressed and clean. I like that.

The décor is excellent. All tables have white table clothes. Chef Chu’s is classy but not pretentions.

Parking is free in the front and in back of the restaurant.

I definitely will be back!

One suggestion/criticism: even though I liked my waiter, I wish when he approached me, he would face me and make eye contact. Sometimes he did not and that generates a slight negative feeling.

Reviewed 16 October 2018

1. Service - ok
2. Atmosphere - OK, a little clouded - too many people.
3. Cold cut of various dishes
4. Shanghai Xiao Long Bao - Dumpling.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

I've been coming to Chef Chu's for over 20 years and it is always consistently delicious. I have never gotten a dish that disappointed, and have never brought someone who walked away unhappy.

I typically go for a weekday lunch - this weekend I went for a Saturday evening dinner for the first time. There was a wait, but we sat at the bar and got Mai Tais, which were delicious, and the bartender was super nice. There are won ton snacks at the bar while you are waiting as well.

I always have to get the chicken salad when I go, and the make the best fried won tons that I have ever had.

It is not the place for a quiet meal, because it is quite crowded and tables are a little close together. But the food more than makes up for it!

Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

This place is known for its celebrity pictures on the wall. Now since the owners son was the director of Crazy Rich Asians there seems to be more people eating there. I would avoid eating there if your looking authentic regional Chinese fare. They do serve the American standards like orange chicken etc. Also I wasn’t impressed when we told them that our friend was celebrating a major birthday and we wanted to have a desert brought out and nothing happened.