New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Got a photo?
Add it.
Carlton Motel Long Beach
Ranked #46 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
“Ok, for the most part.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Its a very small motel, very easy to miss. I didn't like the parking lot, I was afraid of hitting someone in my SUV. And going in and out of the parking lot is one way. Over all the room was ok, very small but nice. The walls are extremely thin, we could clearly hear our neighbors doing everything ! What I didn't like is that at 10:40am the manger came knocking at the door and told me I needed to wake up because it's check out time. Check out is 11am. And then when I was taking my stuff to the car at 10:55am stood a door away watching me and checking his watch repeatedly. After I shut the hotel door he didn't even give me time to put my purse in the car before rudely reminding me "Hey, I need my key!"
Other than that it was fine. We've stayed here a few times before and probably will again. Its close to almost everything and pretty cheap.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Dallas, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I read the reviews prior to booking this room... and it was the best rate on expedia and in the location I needed to be in. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and had to see for myself. Upon arriving from a tiring early morning flight I was welcomed by the owner/manager standing in the parking lot overseeing the staff cleaning the rooms... as soon as i got out of my rental he told me to come back at 3... It was around noon... there was no friendly hello or anything, just we don’t do early checkins come back at 3... OK.... so I had to then go waste 3 hours at the mall/movies... finally after that around 5 pm came back to the motel to check in... He gave me my keys and told me what room I was in... As soon as I opened the door I was engulfed with the stench of cigarettes!!! The Whole room STUNK!!! I turned around and went back to the window and told him I booked a NONSMOKING room. From there he tried to convince me that it was a non smoking room. And there was no FLATSCREEN TV as what was written in the description. He said that was for a deluxe room mine was a standard... I told him I was going to call expedia and cancel my reservation... He seemed to not care, I had to lie to him and tell him that I am Indian (I’m actually Pakistani) and then his mood seemed to change. He then seemed to get really happy and started asking where I was room I just told him Delhi, it was the only place I could think of loll... and then he finally said he would change my room. This one did not stink like cigarettes, but my bathroom at home is bigger than this room!!! Smallest room i have ever seen!!! The next morning even after putting up the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door I was woken up at 11am by continuous knocking at the door! WTF!!! Finally after a couple mins of knocking I opened the door to find the housekeeper woman standing there and I showed her the sign and told her that it said DO NOT DISTURB!!! She then told me it was the manager... Probably checking to see if his precious 32" Dynex $200 TV was still there.... INDIANS ARE CHEAP by nature. The sheets were never changed my whole stay there even after I asked them too!!! The shower curtain had strips of MOLD!!!! growing on it.... The towels had stains on them, which is pretty Gross!!! My last day there The Owner started knocking on the door at 1045am!!! I told him I would be a few mins... Again a knocking at my door at 1050 and then again at 1055!!! at 11am I opened the door and he was still there and then in a firm voice said EVERYONE ELSE CHECKED OUT 15 MINS AGO!!! I'm not everyone else, the check out is at 11am!!! OVERALL this was the worst experience I had!!!

STAY HERE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't book at the hotel!!! If you are looking for a good room for your Buck Check Out The Good N...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Jonny G

Travellers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Gardena
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

"Hello. Im writing because I initially made a reservation Thur 11-10-2011 for check-in 11/10/11 and check-out Friday 11/11/11. To my understand when I put my card online to reserve the room, its NOT a charge but rather to just hold the room. Upon arrival to the hotel I paid cash for my 1 night, but the "pending charges" to my debit card was never removed. There was a charge for $46.36 to my debit card instead of falling off. I paid cash for my reservation upon arrival and in turn also charge on my debit card for the same night and same reservation, I was double charged. Ive tried contacting booking.com in which I made the resevation through for them to take care of this immediately. Ive been speaking with the representative at the hotel location and they have not handled anything, They did not want to help me at all and was very rude about the fact! The manager of the hotel said he would find out what going on and everything should be fixed by Monday 11/14/2011 but its
not. Could you please submit a refund to me as it is owed. I was double charged!"

And this place keeps advertising continental breakfast, when they DO NOT OFFER IT AT ALL!

Till this day I have yet to receive my refund and all booking.com can tell me is that they try to contact Carlton Motel and no one ever answers. To me that should give you some kind of thought as to WHY ARE THEY NOT ANSWERING a business line for reservations! I had to call my Credit Card company for them to take matters in there hands and I finally will be credit by my credit card company. NOT Carlton Motel or Booking.com.

The WORST EXPERIENCE IVE EVER had with a Motel!

Room Tip: STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.For better service better quality better atmospher. I'd reccomend the Comfor...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Khrysta C
Oregon City, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

Would love to describe a room overriden by cockroaches & lice with deafening outside noise. Unfortunately, we never even got that far. Carlton Motel had double-booked our pre-paid room for the evening of 12/8/11, and we were summarily told to leave the premises by an extremely hostile proprietor. Ignoring our printed (pre-paid) Orbitz confirmation documents, the proprietor dismissively said there were "no rooms available" & tossed us a busines card for another motel a few miles up the road. When we went to said sister motel, the proprietor there told us he was unaware of any relationship with Carlton Motel-- and we then had to pay full price for a room at the 2nd motel. Upon returning to the Carlton Motel, we asked for our money to be refunded to our credit card. The hostile proprietor angrily declined & gave strong indications of becoming physically confrontational. Finally, the proprietor called the manager on his cell phone & handed the phone to us. The manager listened for a bit but was extremely reluctant to give his name/contact info. Finally, the manager said "I give you my word your credit card will be refunded," then terminated the call. So far, no refund, and we are disputing the charge for the room with our credit card & Orbitz, respectively. Cockroaches/noise/soiled linens can be dealt with. But why would anybody pay for a room & then be denied the room? For your own sake, avoid Carlton Motel. It seems they routinely double-book rooms & turn people away w/out refunding their credit cards. Where is the BBB with the owners/mgt of this downtrodden motel?

The Gregorys

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Todd G
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

I booked this hotel In June prior to my visit to California. I have visited CA on a number of occasions and used expedia.com frequently before and had no problems. Although when we arrived at this hotel after travelling from the United Kingdom at 11:10pm on Fri 22-Jul-2011, with my wife and 8 year old daughter. We encountered an experience that I wouldn't wish upon anybody. I'm going to keep this brief because It still frustrates me, how someone could be so rude. On arrival I presented paperwork to the hotel manager and was told that he did not have me down as a guest and tried telling me that he spoke verylittle English, even though I showed him all the paperwork and that the room was prepaid. He then stated that he had no rooms available and it wasn't his problem. I rang expedia to try and sort this out from my mobile as it was close to midnight (which cost a small fortune). They tried to ring his office, but he wouldn't answer even though we both could hear the phone ringing. The Expedia representative then asked if I could hand over my mobile to the Manger to speak to him as he wasn't answering his office phone. He initially refused to talk for several minutes, and when he did he was extremely rude and said it wasn't his problem. This lead to me wondering around Long Beach for several hours with my wife and daughter looking for another hotel. When we eventually found one at 3:00am in the morning, we were told by the manager of the Hotel, that he had had a number of guests who had booked in to the Carlton Motel, but had also been refused by the Manager. As you can imagine it was the start I had wanted for our vacation. You are better off paying a little bit more and knowing that you have a place to stay, rather than wasting your time with this establishment. Words can't describe how rude and unhelpful the manager of the Carlton Hotel acted. All I will say is don't go near this hotel if you want an enjoyable vacation/ experience.

Room Tip: Don't book here!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family