“Good, Old Style Italian Restaurant”

Phil Trani's Fine Food and Spirits
Ranked #198 of 1,197 Restaurants in Long Beach
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wardlow
Reviewed 22 April 2017

I was pleased to find Phil Trani's while searching for the elusive Italian Restaurant in Long Beach that served veal parmigiana - almost none of them do. The meal was good, the veal nicely done, not the best we ever had but quite good. We ordered pasta fagioli and were brought manhattan clam chowder instead - these were the two soups of the day. We didn't realize it initially so ate the clam chowder which was good, but not what we wanted. This mishap aside, it was a very nice meal. The service was fine and while somewhat pricey, we will return soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

This restaurant has been in Bixby Knolls for many years. This past weekend was the first time I had been there in decades.

My husband and I both thought the food was good, the service good (if understaffed), and a good value for what we ordered.

I ordered the Veal Piccata, it came with a salad (simple iceberg lettuce salad, sprinkles of blue cheese, and tasty blue cheese dressing), angel hair pasta with marinara sauce, and some broccoli and green beans. Despite other reviews that said that the vegetables were cooked from frozen, I thought that there were cooked from fresh. The lemon sauce on the veal was outstanding, the veal tasty, and the portion size ample. I took half home for dinner the next night. My husband had the jambalaya--which came with a salad (he had a Caesar) and a large bowl of pasta (or rice if you preferred) with a very tasty jambalaya. It had a different tasty than many, but very tasty and a little spicy. He also took half home for dinner the next night.

The service staff was understaffed. There were two waitresses and one bus boy. We couldn't see into the bar, so there was probably one bartender in there.) We were there the Sunday before Valentine's and there were two large tables (8 plus) and several other smaller parties. It took a while to get our cocktails, and the subsequent salads and entrees were also slow to arrive. We weren't in a hurry and didn't care but our nice waitress kept apologizing and gave us a complimentary dessert for our long wait. It was a Spumoni Ice Cream cake--really more a pie. Highly recommend.

After the table with two "kids" and the mom left, at 66 we were some of the youngest in the restaurant.

It has old school décor and menu--so if you are looking for a foodie/trendy place this isn't it. The weekends often have a band in the bar that plays 60s/70s music.

Reviewed 15 June 2016

Phil Trani's to me has always been a bit of an "old school" place. It is not the most cutting edge in décor or menu by any means, it is more of a neighborhood place that is comfortable. The kind of place you see older couples go out with friends and the men wear a sport coat and tie! (saw the last week, you don't see that in trendy West LA or Newport!). Although we live close we don't think to go to Trani's all that often, it is usually about trying the new places. However, we did JUST THAT last Saturday, and glad we did! The food was really good, the wine was great (list is fine for a local place) and the service was spot on. Don't expect white glove hovering service here, but in fact the service was better than most places I have been in a while. I had the swordfish and it was great. Excellent piece of fish, good sides and so much I took half of it home. My wife had the filet in red wine sauce and she said it was the best cut of meat she has had I a long time and she travels a lot and a good filet is her favorite, so that is saying a lot. The salads were excellent and fresh also, great Caesar dressing. Trani's is also known for their energetic bar scene for locals and that seems always to be true. Overall we were very impressed with how Trani's has managed to keep (and in fact improve) the quality since the last few times we were here. We will start to put it back on our list of places to remember to go, for sure. Finally, and this has no reflection on my review, but it is a bonus, GO BRUINS! Love that Trani's is a Bruin hangout. Trojans you are welcome too...I am sure.

Reviewed 11 May 2016 via mobile

I was impressed with both good food and service. I had the halibut Vera Cruz which was cooked to perfection. As a special treat my dining companion introduced me to Mr. Trani and we had a wonderful conversation lasting about 30 minutes. I will return when in the area again.

Reviewed 1 February 2016 via mobile

My brother recommend this place on our way back to airport dinner was OK but everything seemed watered down like it was previously frozen. Waitress was accommodating but not well informed on the menu or the specials. We ordered off the regular menu perhaps we should have tried a special.....