Review Highlights
Beautiful

Reviewed 2 days ago
Passenger28834144540
Nice beach, try the burgers, watch out for tar

Reviewed 21 July 2018
truxr4girlz
madera, ca
via mobile

All reviews burger beautiful beach winding road tide pools kite surfers great camping general store clam chowder long windy tar balls beautiful drive an adventure these guys orange county campground area ocean view hook ups
Reviewed 2 days ago

You like the beach you'll love Jalama beautiful sunsets, of course it can get windy but just like anywhere else you get the weather.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The ability to camp on the sand with a view of the ocean has always been enticing. Actually, more than enticing - enough to make you want to drive 30 minutes each way on a windy road to deal with yellow jacket bees, excessive winds, tar, mostly grumpy park rangers, and annoying local surfers (I used to be one of said local surfers).

To look at their reservation system now, some 20 years later, after having matured a bit, and having accrued some respect and love for tent camping, it's really a huge disappointment to see that they charge $50 for a single night - just to camp.

I'll simply catalog those few fond memories I have from my childhood and let this place continue to take a dive without me. A real shame that some of the most beautiful locales on our planet can fall victim to greed and mal-temperament. May the Pacific swallow her up so that she may start anew.

Reviewed 12 August 2018

Getting here is an adventure. Curvy, narrow road with lots of RV's going the other way. The entrance fee was $10, but since we only stayed an hour, it was free! Parking is a real challenge, but it was a summer weekend. Be careful, lots of little kids running around. The beach is pretty natural, not dirty like another reviewer said. There are picnic tables available. Food and supplies are available at the little store.

Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

If it wasn’t for the tar this place would be perfect. We were there just for the day but it made me want to camp there. The tar is annoying but it came off the bottoms of our feet within a couple days. Just some spots here and there. Sad that it’s even a problems. Everyone there is friendly and helpful. The burgers and chili cheese fries there are delicious!!

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

If your looking for an amazing place to Camp look no further. I wondered why it was booked so far in advance then I understood when we pulled in.

As good as it gets. If you want ocean views and not too many people this is your destination.

Great little kitchen cooking amazing camping food if you need a break from your grill.

2  Thank dallasgoldsmith
Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Ants all over the kitchen & the bunk beds. The sofa bed had nothing left for a mattress and felt like laying directly on the hardware.
Nice view of the beach though.

Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

This is our favorite campground, whether in tents, RV or cabins. Yes it can get windy at times, but the utter isolation of the place adds to the charm. We took beach walks where we saw only a dozen people, and eight of them were wind surfing!

As for that twisting, 14-mile narrow road from State Route 1 to Jalama, most of it crosses the Jalama Ranch, where you are likely to see cattle and deer. We can thank Redlands (CA) billionaire Jack Dangermond and his wife for writing a check in the hundreds of millions earlier this year to buy the ranch and donate it to The Nature Conservancy. Included in that purchase will be 35 more acres added to Jalama Beach County Park. So, we can rest assured that the unspoiled isolation of this special place will continue for future generations. Let’s hope the Jalama Burgers last that long, too!

1  Thank Alco251
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

The views at Jalama beach are incredible. We prefer to stay on the top row, mostly because you have electrical hook ups... but the view is second only to the beach front spots (which can be difficult to reserve). We have walked up and down this beach finding sea shells and small tide pools filled with mussels and sea urchins. If you are going to explore I recommend walking south... there were many more tide pools this way.

We spent the day with a young elephant seal hanging out on the beach. You do need to keep your distance if you see these guys... pictures are taken with the zoom on.

Trying a Jalama burger is a must. They are delicious. We also tried the clam chowder, I now know why it is award winning... yum!!!

The wind can be brutal, which is why I didn’t give it five stars. Just be prepared, we always bring our kites and embrace whatever Mother Nature throws at us.

2  Thank Whitney M
Reviewed 21 April 2018

We just purchased our FIRST travel trailer, so no more hotel reviews for a while. Decided we could spend three or four nights in a campsite for the same cost as one night in a hotel, thus extending our vacations. Our FIRST break in trip for our new rig was 200 miles up the coast from Orange County to Jalama Beach, a campsite I had seen on numerous Youtube camping videos. It was just as good as everyone had said it was, nice campsites, hookups and a killer view. The park had clean restrooms and showers and a well stocked store with a small restaurant. They offer what is known as The World Famous Jalama Burger which lives up to it's name. Also on the menu is owner Mike's absolutely awesome clam chowder, loaded with big meaty clams and 14 spices, a true award winner. The view from the upper camp sites is stunning, I only hope I can find other RV camps that can compare to Jalama Beach. Since this camp is located in a cove of sorts, surrounded by hills, the sound of the crashing ocean waves are amplified at night and lull you to sleep. The only negative is the ever present wind. I'm sure it would be fine in the summer but in April we found it insanely cold, dress accordingly. In closing I need to mention the 14 mile narrow, winding, steep road leading into the park, it's a beautiful drive through hills and ranch land but does take a while to drive. I loved this park and will return for the views and Jalama Burgers. Oh yeah, and the chowder.

3  Thank ragsdad
Reviewed 14 March 2018

If you've never been to Jalama Beach, mark this place as a must see & visit on your bucket list. It's absolutely our ALL TIME favorite hiding spot.