See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 June 2016 via mobile

BBL is an amazing spot. The river alone makes it incredible, but WAIT...there's more! It's situated right on a bend of the Eel River that's one of the best places to swim EVER! It's like a natural Olympic size swimming pool surrounded by cliffs, with beautiful trees on one side, and a beach and valley on the other. Breathtaking.

There are hikes all over the property, too. So far my favorite is one that goes up a tributary of the river. It's like being in Jurassic Park without the dinosaurs. Super lush, waterfalls everywhere, with a few deep pools to dunk in.

The lodge, and all that goes with it, are great, too. The cabins are super sweet - retro rustic, with all you'd ever need to cook a great meal. Each cabin comes with its own BBQ, too. There are picnic tables and a fire pit in the center of the cabins, so it's a perfect place to go with a big group, or a great place to meet new people. You can be as social as you want to be.

If you're into activities (besides hanging at the beach or inner tubing), there's ping pong, badminton and a big cozy indoor game room. There's also great biking in the area.

I'd recommend to everyone. It's the perfect place to get away and feel like you've REALLY gotten away.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carrie L
Reviewed 25 May 2016 via mobile

My husband's family has gone to Big Bend for over 30 years, and myself with them for more than 15 years. It pains me to say the management's treatment of us last summer was unacceptable and they have no business being in the hospitality industry.

We arrived 30 minutes early for our check in time after a 3 hour drive with our 7 month old son, and pulled into the shade so I could feed him. We were yelled at by the manager that we were too early and in the way and needed to leave asap. We explained we have an infant son we needed to attend to and would not be in their way or immediately wanting our cabin and he insisted still we pull at least into the hot, sunny driveway and not occupy any of the shady and totally empty picnic tables on the premises. So I sat in a running car with air conditioning on with my infant son until he deemed it acceptable for us to check in.

We had more than one cabin and though the other appeared ready he refused to release it until after the exact check in time, and only until after we asked him for the keys. This seems unnecessary and inhospitable for such an isolated location, there's nowhere else to go.

I'm disappointed by the changes here after so many pleasant years and encourage the management to remember they are in the hospitality industry, and you know, that means being reasonable and hospitable towards people, particularly families, when you present your lodge as family friendly.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank kellpickles
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've been to BBL a couple of times, but this last trip was so great I wanted to write a review. I went with a 7 other families. Between us we had kids ranging from 9 months to 8 years old. It is a perfect place to go with young kids. The beach has a perfect shallow area for all levels of swimmers, and there is a tire swing and a couple of great trees for climbing. There are short hikes to explore and look for wild life and chickens to feed. Coming from San Francisco, it's great to be able to open a door in the morning and just let the kids out to play. Sitting around the campfire at night talking with friends as the kids ran around in the dark never got old. The location is beautiful, and you can eat every meal outside. It's truly a magical place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank chassec
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I spent two nights last August with my friends' wedding party (about 18 of us in all, I believe) at Big Bend Lodge. I can't imagine a more enjoyable way to celebrate my friends' marriage and relax after the ceremony.

First off, the drive to Big Bend was gorgeous: we passed through vineyards and redwoods on the way to the lodge and the rugged coastline on the way back to the Bay Area. The road down the canyon to the lodge was a bit tricky, but totally paid off when we saw the river winding through the cabins at the bottom of the gorge.

The cabins were outfitted with vintage charm and were very comfortably slept four people. We made all our own meals with groceries we brought from home, preparing them in the kitchenettes and BBQs before having group meals in the courtyard. The lodge owners made us a roaring fire every night, which was perfect for storytelling and marshmallow roasting. We also spent a good amount of time by the river and swimming around. The beach isn't huge, but just enough to lay out after a swim.

I would absolutely go back to Big Bend Lodge, preferably for a long weekend in order to better enjoy the peace, isolation, and beauty of the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Alana M
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My family and I have been going to BBL for 3 years now and it's magic only gets better every year. It's charming and simple on an absolutely gorgeous part of the Eel river. After a day of unwinding, swinging in the hammock, swimming in the river, and resting by the campfire at night, I have completely surrendered to the charm of getting away from it all! It's located away from any roads in a little valley, so the kids and dog can roam. We jump off rocks, explore river beds hoping to find mysterious waterfalls, swing from rope swings, and swim like mad. The lodge keepers are wonderful and the cabins have everything that you need. It's a perfect family holiday.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family