“Awful Reception, Unreasonable Management”
Review of Big Bend Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leggett
Big Bend Lodge
Reviewed 25 May 2016 via mobile

My husband's family has gone to Big Bend for over 30 years, and myself with them for more than 15 years. It pains me to say the management's treatment of us last summer was unacceptable and they have no business being in the hospitality industry.

We arrived 30 minutes early for our check in time after a 3 hour drive with our 7 month old son, and pulled into the shade so I could feed him. We were yelled at by the manager that we were too early and in the way and needed to leave asap. We explained we have an infant son we needed to attend to and would not be in their way or immediately wanting our cabin and he insisted still we pull at least into the hot, sunny driveway and not occupy any of the shady and totally empty picnic tables on the premises. So I sat in a running car with air conditioning on with my infant son until he deemed it acceptable for us to check in.

We had more than one cabin and though the other appeared ready he refused to release it until after the exact check in time, and only until after we asked him for the keys. This seems unnecessary and inhospitable for such an isolated location, there's nowhere else to go.

I'm disappointed by the changes here after so many pleasant years and encourage the management to remember they are in the hospitality industry, and you know, that means being reasonable and hospitable towards people, particularly families, when you present your lodge as family friendly.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank kellpickles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've been to BBL a couple of times, but this last trip was so great I wanted to write a review. I went with a 7 other families. Between us we had kids ranging from 9 months to 8 years old. It is a perfect place to go with young kids. The beach has a perfect shallow area for all levels of swimmers, and there is a tire swing and a couple of great trees for climbing. There are short hikes to explore and look for wild life and chickens to feed. Coming from San Francisco, it's great to be able to open a door in the morning and just let the kids out to play. Sitting around the campfire at night talking with friends as the kids ran around in the dark never got old. The location is beautiful, and you can eat every meal outside. It's truly a magical place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank chassec
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I spent two nights last August with my friends' wedding party (about 18 of us in all, I believe) at Big Bend Lodge. I can't imagine a more enjoyable way to celebrate my friends' marriage and relax after the ceremony.

First off, the drive to Big Bend was gorgeous: we passed through vineyards and redwoods on the way to the lodge and the rugged coastline on the way back to the Bay Area. The road down the canyon to the lodge was a bit tricky, but totally paid off when we saw the river winding through the cabins at the bottom of the gorge.

The cabins were outfitted with vintage charm and were very comfortably slept four people. We made all our own meals with groceries we brought from home, preparing them in the kitchenettes and BBQs before having group meals in the courtyard. The lodge owners made us a roaring fire every night, which was perfect for storytelling and marshmallow roasting. We also spent a good amount of time by the river and swimming around. The beach isn't huge, but just enough to lay out after a swim.

I would absolutely go back to Big Bend Lodge, preferably for a long weekend in order to better enjoy the peace, isolation, and beauty of the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Alana M
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My family and I have been going to BBL for 3 years now and it's magic only gets better every year. It's charming and simple on an absolutely gorgeous part of the Eel river. After a day of unwinding, swinging in the hammock, swimming in the river, and resting by the campfire at night, I have completely surrendered to the charm of getting away from it all! It's located away from any roads in a little valley, so the kids and dog can roam. We jump off rocks, explore river beds hoping to find mysterious waterfalls, swing from rope swings, and swim like mad. The lodge keepers are wonderful and the cabins have everything that you need. It's a perfect family holiday.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Kelli Y
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This was my first visit to Big Bend Lodge. Three friends and I, with our lab, shared cabin 9, which is one of the two that allows dogs. The property is being updated with simple, stylish charm. The place is something special to the new owners, so they are intent on bringing back the original charm to this magical site. Kitchens are fully stocked with cooking gadgets, and the bathrooms have natural soaps and good hot showers, nice clean towels. Beds are comfortable, with plenty of blankets. Each cabin has it's own character, yet practical and clean. We barbequed and sat around the fire pit nightly. The river in our back yard was so much fun. A few inner tubes are provided for use, but bringing your favorite floatie is a plus. This is a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the daily grind. Somewhat remote, yet there's a good little store about 4 miles away for forgotten necessities. No TVs, limited cell phone coverage, depending on your carrier(Verizon worked here, while T-Mobile didn't). If you want a luxury resort, this is not your place. It's peaceful, a bit rustic, and fun. Kid friendly, yet also good for adults, groups, reunions, etc. Loved it. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank V E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leggett
28.4 km away
29.2 km away
The Inn at Newport Ranch
The Inn at Newport Ranch
#3 of 11 in Fort Bragg

Been to Big Bend Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK