“Grapefruit Marg? YEAH! . . . Wait. No.”

Gino's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 263 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 25
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 April 2018

The air inside is musty, but then I saw the sign offering a grapefruit Marguerita, It listed "Ruby red grapefruit, Triple Sec, tequila and lime juice". I thought this idea had legs, so I ordered one without tequila. What came was too sweet, tasted like a solvent, and had no hint of lime juice or any tang you might expect from grapefruit or lime juice. I sent it back and stuck with water.

We hope this place does not give up on the grapefruit marguerita idea. Maybe try grapefruit JUICE, Triple Sec, tequila, and actual lime juice (Not marguerita mix). Margs are supposed to be sour, but if it really is too sour, an unflavored sweetener would allow the other citrus flavors to shine.

The menu is old school, with items like manicotti and pasta fagioli soup. After the grapefruit drink, we opted to NOT order entrees or pasta and to stick with appetizers. The bread (in the form of garlic bread and the toast of the bruschetta) was the soft stuff from the 1960's. We ordered the pasta fagioli; it was OK. The panko-coated calimari was leathery and not very panko-like. From frozen or left in the fryolator too long? The bruschetta was sweet, maybe because they put balsamic vinegar on it, but this could have been OK if the bread it was mounded on was not the soft stuff described above. We did not complain or send back the food, just the drink.

On the plus side, the wait staff was friendly and warm and did not charge us for the soup or the grapefruit drink.

Except for the serving ware, all surfaces observed needed cleaning.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

I was in town to visit family and had a craving for pizza, I was told Ginos had the best pizza in town and so we went. The restaurant seems nice, we were greeted fairly soon and seated. Although our order was taken promptly we did not get our pizza for quite sometime (about 45-60 mins). I ordered half the pizza without meat and the entire pizza was covered in pepperonis. The waiter was nice and said he made a mistake and I appreciate his honesty. The pizza was delicious, I just picked off the meat. I will come back and give this place another try because the food was good, and the waiter was nice.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

What is it about Italian restaurants and 50's music? We walked in on a Saturday night for dinner to find a stage with a live singer doing 50's hits (rat pack, etc.) It was too loud, so we asked for a seat in the back room. Fortunately it was much quieter. Few people must ask because it was empty too. Downside is I think service was a little slower, but it was worth it. Wife ordered a meatball sandwich and I did pizza. The sandwich was huge, lots of meatballs; but a little dry, could have used more sauce. I had the "super" pizza, which seemed to come with 2 inches thick worth of toppings. Lots of meat of all kinds. :) It was tasty. Nothing special, just regular pizza. What I call a "west coast" crust. Not thin, not deep dish, just kinda thick and spongy. Crust didn't have much flavor, which brought down the whole experience. In the end not bad, but that's about all I can say.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

I like the atmosphere. I grew up in the AV and it didn't have much to offer when it came to food choices, but growing older, the city is expanding and my coach offered to take me here one day. Thank gosh I got the chance to eat here..not once, but twice! loved the food. loved the atmosphere. very calm, relaxing, and just the right amount of classy without having to feel like you're in a snooty business. Great servers, food, and alcohol

Reviewed 14 June 2017

My brother convinced me to go to this place because he thought it was pretty good. I ordered a pizza and my wife had a salad. The meal came with garlic bread. I'd rather have gone to an Olive Garden. The food here was OK but I don't believe I would ever return if I were in the area.