All reviews homemade shortbread brown sauce fresh milk northumbrian breakfast filter coffee perfect hosts lemon curd proper teapot ground coffee welcoming and friendly hosts complimentary wine delightful place on arrival lovely couple bottled water walled garden beautiful building
Reviewed 2 April 2018

A last minute Easter Bank Holiday get away. Went in search of quiet roads; a lovely country house for the weekend, warm Northumbrian hospitality, excellent food and deserted beaches for dog walking... far from the madding crowd. All boxes ticked!
Arrived a teatime to be greeted by our charming hosts Ros and David. Nothing too much trouble and settled into a very comfortable room for the weekend. Ros recommended a couple fo gastro pubs for supper and promptly made a reservation for the Tankerville Arms. Even on a Bank Holiday weekend, we ate in the restaurant and enjoyed a great meal. The Garlic Prawns and Chorizo starter is thoroughly recommended, followed by Pheasant and a mandatory pud!
Dog friendly, we couldn't have been made to feel more at home. Having the dining room to ourselves we enjoyed a superb breakfast with local produce and David's home made sauces and marmalade. (The home made brown sauce was off the scale!!) Whilst my wife tucked into Ros's home made lemon curd as we plotted the rest of our day. If you are looking for the perfect country house get away for touring the deserted beaches of northumberland you will not be disappointed and most likely to struggle to find better hosts!

Room tip: Hedgehope overlooks the drive, a lovely room and huge bathroom.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Ros S, Owner at The Manor House Chillingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you so much for the fabulous review. Comments like this make all the hard work worthwhile. I do hope we will see you again soon.
Ros

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

This was my second stay at the fantastic B&B. Ros & David are perfect hosts. Yes it's an old house so its a tad chilly once the central heating goes off but the beds are so comfy & cosey, the welcome so very warm & the breakfast second to none you're unlikely to notice! I will most definitely be back!

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

This is quite simply the best B&B not only in Northumberland but I would dare to say anywhere in the UK. David and Roz are the most convivial hosts I have ever known and the best value weekend I have ever experienced.

Roz prides herself on the breakfasts the Manor serves and she is right to be proud, Day 1 was The Northumberland breakfast which was amazing, Day 2 the Bubble and squeak with the nicest butter sauce I have ever had.

I can’t wait to go back with a bigger party in 2018 :)

Thank you Roz and David for a fabulous weekend:)

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2017

Three of us stayed and fell in love with the area. Very caring hosts who put themselves out and they made us so welcome. Lovely breakfasts and amusing animals around. Good eateries nearby and a haunted castle opposite.

Date of stay: September 2017
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

The Manor House is a hidden treasure found directly opposite Chillingham Castles East gate. This was our first visit and the welcome was warm, the house beautiful, the room comfortable and exceptionally well equipped (don't start me on the homemade shortbread......wow) & the breakfast was, without doubt, the best we have ever had. Who knew homemade ketchup & brown sauce could be that good? (as for the jams, at the risk of repeating myself....wow!) Ros & David were gracious hosts who put so much effort into making their guests experience a great one. We were attending an event at the Castle & didn't get back until the early hours but this wasn't a problem, we were so much more than just a booking reference number, we were treated as people. The Manor House will be where we stay anytime we are in the area from now on & that says it all. Thank you Ros & David and we will see you soon!

Date of stay: September 2017