“Superb massage and relaxation at the Spa”
Review of Surf & Sand Resort

Surf & Sand Resort
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I decided to treat myself to a head to toe massage at the Aqua Terra Spa before starting my new job. I've had the pleasure of working at resort spas in the past, so I am very familiar with the level of service and treatments that are offered and the spa is in keeping with the boutique style of the hotel. I was greeted warmly by the front desk staff and I felt completely pampered and cozy with the lovely decor, open air courtyard where I could read a magazine under the sun and the intimate setting of the hot tub just off the ladies changing room. Delicious granola, fruit and nuts complemented my hot tea and the refreshing fruit infused water. There was a nice selection of magazines from which to read.. which made for enjoying the space even more. The Spa was not large like some bigger resorts but rather more intimate and refined.. great for an individual wanting to escape and enjoy a quiet and relaxing day. My service was performed by Katerina.. who I would highly recommend! She was very professional and knowledgeable and was able to help relieve the pressure from my sore neck.. little did I know that what I thought was neck pain from not sleeping correctly... was actually a tight muscle from my upper back. Thank you..thank you!!

Room Tip: Although I did not stay overnight.. I would highly recommend the Spa to anyone wanting to indulge in...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank NNB2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

It doesn't get any closer to the beach than this. We stayed in the "tower" portion. Everything seemed fresh and updated. The room was large and the sliding glass doors opened up to the small balcony overlooking the water. My only complaint, which isn't really a complaint, is that the balcony only had room to stand. There were no chairs or table. I believe the "surfside" building may have a full balcony with chairs and table but call to ask if this is a concern for you.

We had dinner at the Splashes Bar instead of the restaurant. They had both a bar menu and full restaurant menu. We ordered from the bar menu and the food was spectacular. The drinks were strong and good. Get there early though as the bar was packed from around 5PM to around 9PM, then it slowed down a bit.

Room service breakfast was awesome. The food was great, and you can't beat eating eggs benedict overlooking the ocean. The price was reasonable as well.

I would definitely suggest this hotel over some of the others in the area. I won't name names but the other large upscale hotels in the area/on the beach can be a bit "stuffy" if you know what I mean. The Surf & Sand is completely opposite. The staff were so nice, friendly, and most important to me casual and laid back but very attentive at the same time. To me, that is true class.

This would be a great hotel to bring your kids and spend a few days relaxing. I can't really explain how relaxing it was to have the sliders open listening to the ocean. We will go back soon.

Room Tip: Room tip- If the ocean noise is a problem for you ask to stay on a higher floor. Once the sliders we...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Ok if I didn't need a change of scenery once and awhile, I would stay at this hotel every time we go on vacation. The first time I stayed, I took advantage of a online special and stayed with my daughters around Christmas time. It's a tradition we go to Disneyland for my Birthday in December. Yes I know it's far but wanted to try it. Well let's just say it was really hard to leave and go to Disneyland once we checked in, walked into the room, was drawn to the sliding door (as you could hear the waves outside) and opened the door and looked out and below. All I can say is WOW, what a view!!! It was like the waves were going directly below our balcony!!! The room was so comfy and cozy, I really did not want to go anywhere else and just stay and bask in the ambiance!!!! It is a little expensive and would only book it if it was a special occasion or another online special. But I would do it in a heart beat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Barbara R
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This place is perfect for a relaxing get away or even just a fun weekend trip! The staff is wonderful and so helpful, the ambiance is beautiful and so relaxing. The rooms are clean and beautiful views. The fire pits outside are a perfect spot for relaxing listening to the beach with a warm drink. French 77 is a great restaurant across the street. Everyone that works here is so nice and helpful! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I drove 11 miles from Laguna Hills to stay overnight for a little R&R to a resort we had always wanted to stay at, but hadn't made the opportunity to do so. Surf and Sand was the perfect overnight getaway.

The full ocean view is spectacular. Just open the sliding glass door onto the balcony and the sounds of waves crashing and smell of the Pacific Ocean permeates the room. If that is not enough, the room itself is spectacular. The room has architectural features found in very expensive homes and the bed was very comfortable.

The staff is first class. The valet service welcomes you with smiles and helpfulness. The front desk staff is efficient. The bell staff is the final part of any welcome to a resort, and this bell staff should get an award. After our luggage was delivered the bellman offered us a bottle of champagne or wine with the compliments of the bell staff.

The outside lobby has a great bar and light meals.

It took us many years to finally stay here – it won’t take us many years to go back. If you want an Orange County on-the-beach resort, Surf and Sand is your best choice.

Room Tip: The main building may be your best choice.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple