“Good for a basic stay, near beach”
Review of Laguna Beach Lodge

Laguna Beach Lodge
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Colorado
“Good for a basic stay, near beach”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Although the property is being upgraded, it seems that the upgrades are being cheaply done. However, I appreciated the newer, more soundproof windows and clean surfaces.

The room was well laid out. Although clean, the bathroom seemed patchworked and there was a void in the floor tile next to the toilet. Kind of creepy. The caulking around the tub was a sloppy, amateur job. C'mon, just do it right for a much better look.

I did appreciate the glass shelf above the vanity top, however. The bed was fairly comfortable and I appreciated the choice in pillows.

It was raining or my stay would have been much less quiet, since the rooms face the pool area and it is a small property. Not good if you want quiet. However, the beach is just across the boulevard so this would be a good deal for families or those who don't mind noise in exchange for beach access.

I would not stay here again because of the lack of an elevator and I don't like being on ground level.

That said, I had deviated from my practice of booking with the property and used hotels.com. I was told by them that the place did have an elevator. Wrong. (I will never book through them again and most likely will continue to book direct.)

The desk clerk understood my plight and although my room was still on the ground level, he placed me next to the office. He also told me that in their property's experience, booking agents will often tell prospective guests what they want to hear. My suggestion is book directly or call the property to confirm what the booking agent says before making your reservation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool if you want to sleep. Also, check out the room before taking it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DenverDsigner
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Burlington, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed there on a famliy vacation for a week and I mush say I was more than happy with my stay. The vieew was nice from the pool and the staff went above and beyond to my sure my stay was great. The entire staff was great but i got to say 2 members stand out. Dillon was fantatic and the young lady on the day shift was great too. Sorry i dont remember her name too. Room was very clean for the price range and i plan to stay again on my next trip.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael C
TravelodgeLB, General Manager at Laguna Beach Lodge, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you and thank you for staying with us!
Look forward to seeing you again soon.
London
Reviewed 30 March 2012

An old, outdated motel style building with ageing furniture/fixtures in a shabby, dank room.
Of the eight hotels on our recent trip this was the only one to disappoint and subsequently the only negative review I’ve written in several years.

We appreciated that it’s got a good location fairly near to the beach, and that the nearby high-end hotels are much more expensive – but boy we didn’t expect it to be that bad.
The location is all that this property has going for it – we stayed at much nicer hotels for less money in the same week, so rates are inflated purely because of where it stands.

In the early 1990’s I would have accepted it, but these days the Travelodge has been outclassed by newer, modern budget inns such as Holiday Inn Express and Hilton Garden Inn.

The old CRT TV required me to move the heavy cabinet and rewire it in order to get the rooms DVD player to work! I got it going in the end by placing the player at an angle (the cable was too short to reach the outlet!) The small mall next door has a Redbox DVD rental machine so we decided to hunker down and watch movies for one night.

The reception/breakfast area has been newly decorated and breakfast was just fine, as were the polite staff. Oddly though, all the newspapers in there were out of date (a trend?).

We checked out a day early, gladly forgoing the following nights room charge just to move on. Later that day we checked into a Doubletree by Hilton which was considerably cheaper and considerably nicer!

Almost forgot to mention the beach! Yes, very nice beautiful beach and cliffs. Totally deserted on a winter weekday morning. Just us and the occasional dog walker.
A great beach break, very nearly ruined by an awful hotel. You have been warned!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
TravelodgeLB, General Manager at Laguna Beach Lodge, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

We truly appologize that you did not enjoy your visit -

Travelodge Laguna Beach most often has the lowest rates in Laguna Beach, while we know that we are not the best or newest hotel in town we make up for it with our team and of course location. It is hard to find a hotel in Laguna Beach for less than 125 a night - especially one across the street from an amazing beach. We cannot compete with hotels in other cities.

We understand our hotel needs continued love, in the past year we have installed new carpet in all the guest rooms, updated the lobby, painted all the guest rooms and done some unseen work that older hotels like this require. In no way are we done of course - more improvements are on the way.

The most important thing for us is for guests like you to share your experiences so we can make the changes most important to our customers - so thank you. Please check back with us in the near future as we will continue to make improvements, we certainly hope that like many others, you will find our little hotel a great place to stay!

Travellers are raving about these Laguna Beach hotels

NM
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Good price for the location. Right across the street from the beach. You can hear the waves from your room. Secure gated courtyard. Room was large. Nice fridge and microwave. Cute bathroom with tiny shower. Great rainfall shower head, lots of hot water. Bed was really uncomfortable, like sleeping on concrete. Convenient Albertsons and drug store, along with a few eating places in the parking lot next store. Across PCH and down a million stairs is a LOVELY beach cove area - maintained by the fabulous Montage. I actually saw a couple of dolphins just off shore. Lovely place.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor rooms have ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I stayed here while attending a nearby leadership conference, and found it to be completely comfortable. It was a little way out of Laguna Beach downtown, but across the street from the Montage (which had beach access and a nice lounge for cocktails), and next door to Albertsons (which had a Starbucks). Decent value for money. They had free wifi which was handy. The service was friendly, and I enjoyed the heated pool. The only downside was the leaking shower, and I would have like to have a bath.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
TravelodgeLB, General Manager at Laguna Beach Lodge, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you! Hope to see you in Laguna Beach again soon!