An old, outdated motel style building with ageing furniture/fixtures in a shabby, dank room.
Of the eight hotels on our recent trip this was the only one to disappoint and subsequently the only negative review I’ve written in several years.
We appreciated that it’s got a good location fairly near to the beach, and that the nearby high-end hotels are much more expensive – but boy we didn’t expect it to be that bad.
The location is all that this property has going for it – we stayed at much nicer hotels for less money in the same week, so rates are inflated purely because of where it stands.
In the early 1990’s I would have accepted it, but these days the Travelodge has been outclassed by newer, modern budget inns such as Holiday Inn Express and Hilton Garden Inn.
The old CRT TV required me to move the heavy cabinet and rewire it in order to get the rooms DVD player to work! I got it going in the end by placing the player at an angle (the cable was too short to reach the outlet!) The small mall next door has a Redbox DVD rental machine so we decided to hunker down and watch movies for one night.
The reception/breakfast area has been newly decorated and breakfast was just fine, as were the polite staff. Oddly though, all the newspapers in there were out of date (a trend?).
We checked out a day early, gladly forgoing the following nights room charge just to move on. Later that day we checked into a Doubletree by Hilton which was considerably cheaper and considerably nicer!
Almost forgot to mention the beach! Yes, very nice beautiful beach and cliffs. Totally deserted on a winter weekday morning. Just us and the occasional dog walker.
A great beach break, very nearly ruined by an awful hotel. You have been warned!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set against the stunning backdrop of Laguna Beach, a classic 1950s Southern California Motor Lodge is reborn as a comfortable boutique hotel.The Laguna Beach Lodge offers outstanding value: free parking, complimentary breakfast and attractive rates.Ideally situated and perfect for families, we capture the spirit of Laguna and make it all affordable, convenient, and fun.•A short walk to Treasure Island Beach.•Summertime trolley service from our front door to Laguna's village.•Free Wifi.•Bright, cheerful, and fresh Laguna Beach hotel rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda and Expedia so you can book your Laguna Beach Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Travelodge Laguna Beach Hotel Laguna Beach
- Laguna Reef Hotel
- Laguna Reef Motel
- Best Western Laguna Beach