“Yummy breakfast, yucky rooms, happy staff”

Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in La Mesa
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed at the HI Express - La Mesa for four nights while I was on a business trip. Maybe I was the last person to check-in for the single queen-sized bedroom. Regardless, I got the WORST room, which overlooked I-8. The hotel might as well be sitting in the middle of highway because the traffic buzzing by was incredibly loud. They really should invest in sound-proof windows. Anyway, the second I walked into my room, the loud noises were apparent. I called the front desk to see if I could switch right away. "I didn't touch anything, I promise!" I pleaded. She said everything was booked but she'd make a note of it and get me into another room as soon as possible. She gave me a sound machine, so my sleepless night was filled with sounds of ocean waves, then drizzling rain, and gear-changing trucks. The next day, I asked for another room, but once again everything was booked and the front desk lady said she'd make a note of it. I bought ear plugs at the nearby Walmart - that helped a little bit. Then, finally, the morning of my third day I was able to switch to a fourth floor room toward the back of the hotel. The front desk held my bags the whole day while I was on assignment and placed them in my new room for me - that was a nice touch. The paint might have been peeling a little bit but - thank goodness - I could sleep soundly! Once I switched rooms, everything else was great. Maria was very helpful in making my room switch happen.
The breakfast was yummy (warm cinnamon rolls and pancakes), the rooms were a little musty, and it's definitely not worth the price they charge. The hotel is owned and operated by Happy Team, Inc. Not sure if that's why it's not the new and clean HI Express that I'm used to, but their staff sure are happy...and some of them are even helpful!
Good luck if you book a room here. It's like a lottery system, and if they say your room number is 204, don't take the keys and run far, far away! You're better off sleeping under a highway bridge - at least that's free!

Room Tip: Check-in early and request a room that doesn't face the highway
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank CoeurVoyager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego

Reviewed 18 July 2011

We checked in on a Sunday and as soon as we opened the door to our room you could smell cigarette smoke. Called the front desk and was told the prior guests probably smoked out on the balcony and some smoke had come into the room. Not true, the furniture smelled like smoke and was worn. The electrical outlet cover in the bathroom had a gap between the plate and the wall of about a quarter of an inch. Not a good idea next to running water. The guest room and hallways looked very worn. The carpet in the elevators was very dirty. The lobby looks great, but the rest of the place needs serious updating and painting. This property has been ignored. It's right next to Interstate 8, however, our room was in the rear and very quiet. This place did not meet our expectations. In fact, our next stay was at a Best Western which was alot cheaper and in much better shape. The staff at the Holiday Inn was very attentive and apologetic. Also, our room number plate had been replaced with adhesive numbers you would find at a hardware store.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 33055Fatboy
happyteam11, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, and inform the property of the problems that you had during your most recent stay. I appreciate your feedback and have addressed your concerns immediately.
We apologize sincerely for the inconvenience and annoyance this has caused. We no longer have smoking rooms available in any room on our property. The electrical outlet has been repaired, and we are currently changing the room numbers on the door. We hope you revisit us in the future and please feel free to contact me if you need anything.
Tanaja Potts
AGM

Reviewed 7 July 2011

we booked with hotwire and got a good price (20% off than in Holioday Inn website opn 4th of july weekend).
it is a good and clean hotel on highway I-8 abot 15 minutes from San Diego Citycenter.
breakfast was good also (although there was a line for the pancakes amchine..).

Room Tip: n/a
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We had free parking and wifi. We checked in and went to our room. There was a musty smell but it had 2 double beds, a bedside chest, and office chair and desk, a television unit which housed a small flat screen television (cable channels), a fridge, microwave and a comfy chair. The bathroom had a showerhead over the bath. Both areas had dated decor. We didn’t have any towels or tea bags and had to collect them from reception. The towels smelt of bleach. There was a heater/cooler in the room but it didn’t have a thermostat. There was a computer for guest use, but reception had to print the pages required as it didn’t have a printer attached to it. Staff (TeeJay) were generally friendly. The room had poor sound insulation – there was noise from the other rooms as well as the traffic noise from the window. A standard breakfast was included of toast, cereal, juice etc.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Had high hopes when we drove into the parking lot of this HIE. The young man who checked us in (TeeJay) was very professional and friendly & recognized us as Priority Club members and gave us a very nice club "bag of goodies". The warm feeling left there. Hallway dark and peeling (old) wallpaper. There was a pretzel under my husband's bed from a former occupant. The right portion of our curtain was hanging loose from the cornice board and the right curtain panel looked like it had been tied in a knot and then unknotted and WRINKLED. Wallpaper in room was dated and peeling in places. However, the mattresses were comfy and linens clean. Bathroom shower had a great spray, but the tub needed re-glazing in an urgent kind of way!!!! Our room faced Interstate 8, but didn't keep us awake. The HIE b'fast was good--"faux" omelete, sausage, cinnamon buns, boiled eggs, yogurt, and instead of a waffle maker there was a pancake "machine". Usual cereals and breads for taost and some other frozen pastries. Would not return next time in San Diego.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank luvsf
happyteam11, Manager at Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2011

We appreciate your feedback, on behalf of the Holiday Inn Express La Mesa. We take pride in our guest, staff, and hotel. Thank you for recognizing Tee Jay and he will be praised for his efforts. We want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay, we have addressed all issues and concerns you mentioned and can assure you this will not happen again. We welcome you back to our hotel for a phenomenal experience.

Tanaja Potts

5.9 km away
Best Western Courtesy Inn
Best Western Courtesy Inn
#3 of 15 in El Cajon

Been to Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK