“Just a happy place”
Review of Duke's La Jolla

Duke's La Jolla
Reserve with OpenTable
Duke's La Jolla is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 30
Description: Duke's La Jolla is named in honor of native Hawaiian Duke Kahanamoku, an Olympic swimming and water polo medalist and the father of modern surfing. Overlooking the La Jolla Cove, Duke's serves genuine, friendly hospitality with contemporary interpretations of traditional island plates. As a tribute to Hawaii and Southern California beach lifestyles, Duke's celebrates family, views and the spirit of aloha. We welcome our guests to become a part of our 'ohana.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I've been going to Dukes restaurants all my life and was excited to see one coming to my own town. At first, I was a little bummed because this Dukes is nothing like the other Dukes. It's a little nicer, and the food is a little less "bar food." HOWEVER, I quickly became a fan. Upstairs is awesome and the vibe is a little more traditional Dukes style. Views are amazing, and the staff is great. Shout to to Joel, Patrick, and Jack...and to the extra strong Lava Flows in the little Tiki Man glass. Thanks guys!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

First time here and we were very happy with everything. They did a great job with this space. All the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We took a colleague here for her birthday and it didn't disappoint. We have been to other T S Restaurants including Jake's and Dukes in HI and this is right on par. The food was fantastic. We started with the Mai Tais. Very traditional Hawaiian and tasty. We had the won tons, onion soup and sashimi apps. The quality is great. The onion soup is made with Maui onions so they are sweet but not overly so. Our entrees were the pulled pork sandwich and turkey and Brie sandwich but again very tasty. And you cannot come here and not get their Hula Pie. If you haven't tried it, do so. Yummy yummy yummy.

In addition to the food, the view is awesome. They have a deck/bar upstairs (Barefoot Bar). We didn't go up there but I bet the view would be even better since it is up higher.

Parking in La Jolla can be challenging for sure so you may be driving around to find something OR there is public valet parking right next door. Only $11 for the day and I would suggest using them instead of hunting for a space. Although La Jolla is beautiful and you may not mind finding a space a bit farther away and walking.

Definitely recommend this place

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We had a wonderful dinner. On the web site they mention the chefs menu. It is only available from 5-6 and is an awesome value. For $25. (Plus tax and tip) you choose an Appetizer, main course and dessert. We had the surf and turf. The steak was tender and the shrimp had a wonderful spiced flavor. And our server was on it. She was great. And if your going this early hopefully you get a sit next to the rail with a view of the ocean. If you can find free parking, happy day. In front of Sunny Jim cave there is $10 parking. Or, right in front of Dukes is valet parking for $11....plus tip.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A seat with a view! This place has one! We enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. The staff was ok and the restaurant was clean and conveniently located on Prospect, close to the beach. The prices were a little high but to be expected in that location.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I have reviewed Duke’s with 5 stars. Last night was nothing more than a 3.

From the time we arrived it just kept getting worse. We had a reservation and walk ins were seated first. I ignored that. When we were seated our wait staff were nice. Ordered drinks and then our appetizer and dinner. Well...our appetizer took almost 30 minutes to make it to our table. It was lukewarm but still very good. I was still chewing when our main course arrived. We both looked at our plates and thought the amount of food looked smaller than other times we visited. Shrugged it off and proceeded to eat. My rice was cold. Yuck. I called over a waiter and he apologized and said he would get me more. But first he went to another table to have a wee chat. Something I noticed our waitress was doing a bit too much. When we finished and asked for the check our waitress apologized for our appetizer arriving late and for the cold rice and offered us a piece of hula pie on her. We asked for key lime pie instead. That was good and thankfully cold.

Then...well I have been spending a lot of time in the bathroom today. So all in all it was an experience.

Time to move on.