1,192 results
All reviews manhattan restaurant valet parking spa suite piano bar continental breakfast within walking distance boiled eggs street parking yogurt small hotel heart of la jolla shops and restaurants perfect location the breakfast area front desk staff large room short walk to the beach
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I stayed at the Empress for 3 nights over Easter weekend, 2018.
There was a noise issue the first night, which was apologetically resolved the next morning. That's the only negative thing I can say.
The hotel is ideally located within walking distance of the beach and many nice restaurants and shops. It's a fun part of La Jolla and you get the full experience of the upscale surroundings and friendly vibe that make it a special place.
The hotel itself is understated but very nice and offers all amenities except a swimming pool. It has a good onsite restaurant. Room rates include a continental breakfast typical of most hotels--nothing fancy but adequate to get you going in the morning.
The rooms are well-appointed and roomy and have all the amenities including robes & slippers. Everything was in excellent condition and tastefully styled. There's a tablet in each room that's actually pretty intuitive and has helpful features for getting the most out of your stay. I didn't try to use it until my last day there, and realized it would have been a nice convenience. So don't be intimidated if you're not digitally inclined.
Street parking is limited and you can't count on finding something close by. But the Empress has a dependable valet service and the price is reasonable.
The best feature of the hotel is impeccable service. That pushed this review from a 4 to a 5. I would gladly stay there again.

Room tip: Avoid room 214 and rooms near the continental breakfast room, which is on the second floor.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank GManTraveler
Joel M, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear GManTraveler,

We are happy that you enjoyed your three-night stay with us over the Easter weekend! Our location is central to everything that La Jolla has to offer. I am glad that you enjoyed it. I am happy that you enjoyed our rooms and the amenities that we provide. Thanks for mentioning our associates as it is our goal for all guests to experience exceptional service. Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We stayed here for 2 nights, and loved the proximity to the restaurants, and the ease of parking. The hotel staff are really amazing, and help you find good things to do while you're in La Jolla. My wife had an issue with the bed that was difficult for her back, and the management were completely professional and helpful about the issue. We did decide to cut our stay a bit short, and they handled it in a very kind and helpful way. Normally, this would be a difficult thing with a hotel, but they are 100% about great customer service, and "doing the right thing". We chose this place because of the high ratings on trip advisor and I would highly recommend this place to anyone who doesn't have sensitivities to different types of mattresses.

Room tip: Room 508 was quiet
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 684jg684
Reviewed 30 March 2018

I was so pleased with everything at this hotel. The rooms are clean and lovely, the beds comfortable with plenty of pillows. All of the 'appliances' (fridge, coffee maker) are in the closet (thank you for that; there is nothing worse than fridge noise when they put it directly in the room!). Their breakfast service is excellent with plenty of selections including hard boiled eggs and waffle makers. The breakfast room is so nice with inside patio or outside seating. Staff is excellent and friendly. The only thing I think they could improve on is the parking (which is valet, doesn't allow in and out and is a bit pricey).

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Joel M, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear heyrenee18,

We are happy that you were pleased with everything at the Empress Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our morning expanded continental breakfast and the selection that we offer. I appreciate your mention of our associates as it is our goal for all guests to experience exceptional service. We offer 24-Hour Valet Parking with as many in and out privileges as one may need. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Nice staff, nice location, clean and fresh, and bonus! Luck with overnight on-street parking. It was our second trip to Empress within a year, and there will definitely be a third forthcoming. Enjoyed it all.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Joel M, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Dear Nicole W,

I appreciate your mention of our associates as it is our goal for all guests to experience exceptional service! We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future for your third visit. Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this hotel! I don't even have a picky "con" to note. From my first call to book the room to checking out, I received nothing but excellent service and a wonderful experience. If you knew the surrounding circumstances of this trip and my arrival, you'd understand how the staff could have been less than accommodating. But they were the exact opposite. Everything (service, staff, property, cleanliness, beds, location) exceeded my expectations. I had been told the Empress was "on point" but wasn't really sure considering how people's opinions vary. But I quite pleased as the Empress did not disappoint at all!

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Joel M, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Dear Chelsea S,

Thank you for your recent stay with us! We are so happy to read that we exceeded your expectations! We are glad that you liked your room and the amenities that we provide. Please recommend us to your friends and family. Thanks for your Five-Star review!
Come back and see us again soon!