1,152 results
All reviews manhattan restaurant valet parking piano bar spa suite continental breakfast within walking distance boiled eggs street parking small hotel yogurt shops and restaurants heart of la jolla perfect location front desk staff starbucks coffee short walk to the beach nice room
Reviewed 27 March 2018

Nice staff, nice location, clean and fresh, and bonus! Luck with overnight on-street parking. It was our second trip to Empress within a year, and there will definitely be a third forthcoming. Enjoyed it all.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Joel M, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Dear Nicole W,

I appreciate your mention of our associates as it is our goal for all guests to experience exceptional service! We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future for your third visit. Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this hotel! I don't even have a picky "con" to note. From my first call to book the room to checking out, I received nothing but excellent service and a wonderful experience. If you knew the surrounding circumstances of this trip and my arrival, you'd understand how the staff could have been less than accommodating. But they were the exact opposite. Everything (service, staff, property, cleanliness, beds, location) exceeded my expectations. I had been told the Empress was "on point" but wasn't really sure considering how people's opinions vary. But I quite pleased as the Empress did not disappoint at all!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Joel M, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Dear Chelsea S,

Thank you for your recent stay with us! We are so happy to read that we exceeded your expectations! We are glad that you liked your room and the amenities that we provide. Please recommend us to your friends and family. Thanks for your Five-Star review!
Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 21 March 2018

We used to stay at La Valencia hotel down the road but the Empress beats them in every category hands down ! Value, cleanliness, location, price, what is offered etc. They have great customer service along with apples and cookies at check in and a great restaurant and bar inside the hotel you must try.

Room Tip: We like the first floor but all the rooms are very nice
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Our family had a wonderful three day stay at the Empress Hotel. We were delighted to find a hotel with close proximity to shops, restaurants, and just a couple blocks to the ocean! The property is recently updated, clean and we received wonderful service, overnight parking, and a nice breakfast. Definitely would recommend. Fabulous Italian restaurant onsight with live music too. Win-win!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Joel M, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

Dear Kimberly M,

Thank so much for stay with us at the Empress Hotel! I am happy that your family had a wonderful three night stay with us! Our location is central to everything that La Jolla has to offer. I am glad that you enjoyed it! I appreciate your mention of our upgraded rooms and lobby. It is our goal for all guests to experience exceptional service. Thanks for recommending us to your friends and family.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

I recently stayed four nights at the Empress Hotel. Every staff member with whom I dealt (front desk and housekeeping) was excellent, helpful, and personable. Alas, they couldn't help me get a charger for my MacBook Air as there is no Apple store nearby ... but I was able to use one of the two computers in the business center for extended periods of time. My room was maintained in immaculate condition and the bathroom, while not huge, was certainly not cramped either. The bed was very comfortable and, by closing the blackout shade along with the shutters, there was virtually no light in the room during the night.
The included buffet breakfast was offered in a very nice setting. The coffee was very good. The variety of foods offered was adequate, but not lavish. There were some fresh fruits available: bananas, oranges, and apples, as i remember. (cut up fruit/melon would have been nice) There was also yogurt, a variety of muffins, and some cut up cheese. The bread was OK. Prices did seem to be a bit high in the hotel's restaurant for dinner, but I was always invited out so I cannot comment on the quality of the food served there.
The hotel is very well located, as other reviewers have mentioned. There are numerous restaurants within a 5 minute walk of the hotel and a large VONS also about 5 minutes by foot.
I would certainly stay at this hotel again, should I go out to La Jolla again. It may be rated 3 stars, but it "plays" more like a 4 star.

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank morralkan

Dear morralkan,

Thank yo u for your recent four-night stay with us! I appreciate your mention of our associates as it is our goal for all guests to experience exceptional service. I am glad that you liked your room and the amenities that we provide. Our morning expanded continental breakfast has something for everyone including freshly made hot waffles which are very popular. Our location is central to everything that La Jolla has to offer. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you to La Jolla.