“Authentic Cuisine”

Taste of the Himalayas
Ranked #97 of 1,250 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 25 May 2018

I love that you get the taste of authentic food while you hear the sound of the water in the background since the beach nearby.

Reviewed 7 February 2018

We stopped here after a stroll on the beach and enjoyed a cocktail and appetizers.Which were delicious.So later when we were going to order from GrubHub we decided on Taste of the Himalayas.Absolutely delicious food.And piping hot from GrubHub too.

Reviewed 27 January 2018

Visited post spending couple of hours at La Jolla Cove. The place is beautiful. Well maintained. Staff is very courteous. Food was very well prepared and delicious. Enjoyed a lot.

Reviewed 23 December 2017

Service and friendliness of staff was excellent - food is very good. Why only a 3 out of 5 then? Husband asked for Sierra Nevada beer, unfortunately they didn't have in stock, so they recommended the Himalayan beer, which they said was similar (it wasn't - but at $7.95 it was a shrewd move on their part to recommend it) - then got a Stella ($6.95 - pricey if you ask me). I ordered chicken korma $15.95 , asked for it very mild (zero out of 10, as I'm a big baby when it comes to curry) and it was delicious - no complaints at all. Husband asked for chicken tikka marsala, $15.95, asked for it medium level spice (like a 5 out of 10) (i.e. a lot more spicy than mine) but it came at the same spice level as my korma - no spice at all, even I could eat it (and I can NEVER eat my husband's curry - they are always way too hot for me) - so we asked for them to add some spiciness/heat to it - it came back more or less the same - hardly any difference - I could still eat it easily. And I order all my curries at a level zero! Having said that, it doesn't mean it wasn't very good because it was. If I had ordered it for myself, I'd have been pleased. My husband had wanted a bit of spice and heat, didn't get it, but he still enjoyed it. Didn't really want to linger as it was very VERY cold inside (wish they would have closed the outside door to keep some warmth in - but I felt like it would have been rude of me to ask them) - service was excellent - just wish that they could have made my husband's a medium level curry instead of just mild (that's cost it one star) - and wish it wasn't so pricey (another star). $57 (excluding gratuity) for two chicken dishes, one order of naan, one order of popadums and two beers. Expensive! And $15 of that was beer. Food flavors very good. Doesn't come close though to the wonderful Himalayan Dine Inn restaurant in San Diego, which I just saw on yelp is closed - that place was wonderful. SO sad :-(

Reviewed 30 November 2017

....I really hate to say this because I never believe reviews when I read this but I have to because it's absolutely 100% true. All 6 of us saw (GASP) cockroaches. I've only seen them a couple times before in Mexico so I had to google a picture while we were sitting there and yes, we saw at least 6 cockroaches in the main restaurant part (and I saw 1 in the bathroom). So as we're sitting there contemplating ordering, I check the reviews on this place and they are fabulous. No one mentioned bugs or cockroaches. So we're all like-do we leave, do we say something? They were on the opposite wall as we were crawling behind 2 beautiful wall hangings. Multiple cockroaches. We order anyway-even though a person in our party is freaking out about the bugs carrying horrible diseases. THE FOOD IS DELICIOUS. Of course the entire time we are eating we're all saying out loud-gosh I hope there aren't cockroaches in our food. So I'm super confused. If there are cockroaches, why are there such good reviews? Is it because everyone is willing to overlook this because the food is so great and the prices are super reasonable? Are standards in California different than in other states so cockroaches aren't a reason to shut down a restaurant? Are we the only ones to have ever seen cockroaches there? Was this a fluke because they had all their doors open? I don't know if I'd chance it again there so look around before you order.