“Great family activity for teenagers ”
Review of La Jolla Kayak

La Jolla Kayak
More attraction details
Owner description: La Jolla Kayak is a family run business celebrating more than 18 years as the premier ocean exploration outfit in San Diego. Offering fantastic opportunities for adventure on the open sea, La Jolla Kayak caters to tourists and locals alike. Discover by paddle or snorkel the spectacular sea cliffs, Seven Caves and underwater park, renowned to the area. La Jolla Kayak offers guided paddle and snorkel tours with specialized instructors and single or double kayak rentals to discover the sea on your own. Our Mt. Soledad Slide Bike Tour takes you through La Jolla’s most spectacular scenery. And during the warmer months you can swim with the sharks on our guided Leopard Shark Snorkel Adventures. Experience the natural beauty and wonder of the Southern California’s coastline and come away with a new appreciation for ocean kayaking, marine life, and the natural beauty of our underwater world.La Jolla Kayak is located in the heart of the seaside community of La Jolla, California, just 15 minutes north of Downtown San Diego and the SD International Airport. For over a century, La Jolla has been a favorite vacation destination of travelers from all over the world. Boasting Southern California's most beautiful and majestic coastline and the finest weather in the world, La Jolla offers a variety of recreational opportunities.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We did the bike tour one day and kayaking another day . Both experiences were fantastic but I do not recommend either for children under 10 as the biking route is in busy streets and the kayaking can be strenuous with big waves . Staff from both were outstanding and had a lot of tidbits on the area.

1  Thank Voyage764724
"paddling"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I read great reviews about this business. The owner was nice and the guides were friendly.

With that said, this was not an experience I ever care to repeat. The water was way too choppy and rough for us to have taken our two sons—6 and 11—out into it. The first trip was cancelled for conditions after we suited up and walked to beach. A teenager had just been taken away in an ambulance when a kayak hit her when she turned over on a tour before us. We were told to come back the next day because they expected the conditions to be much better. We called the next morning to check and they said they had no issues so far and the tour was a go.

When we got there, we suited up and headed to the beach again. We were told that if we flipped our kayak getting through the surf near the shore, to just stand up. It was only about 3 feet. My 11 year old and I paddled out, made it through the surf and into deep water. Our kayak shifted and a wave knocked us over. We were plunged into freezing water and despite our life jackets, we were panicked that we couldn’t touch the ocean floor. I pushed the kayak away and screamed to swim and breath. We were hit by several big waves as we tried to swim back in. It was miserable. The guide talked us back into going out and he said he would swim us out. I reluctantly agreed and regretted it. My son started to get nauseous. Even in deep water, it was a constant fight to keep the kayak straight. Other folks were also having trouble. My son and I yelled that we were going back. We paddled back alone. My husband and 6 year old kept going.

We waited for them at the shop and I cried I was so worried about my 6 year old. The owner was nice and tried to reassure. My husband showed up a 1/2 hour later with my wet, crying son. They had given up and paddled back because the water was so rough and they were no where near the caves. They flipped the kayak on the way back in.

It was an awful experience. The owner acknowledged it was a balance on when weather/water conditions are problematic. I said children had no business being out there.

Again, nice people but I wouldn’t waste money or our safety/sanity on an experience like this again. I don’t know enough independently about conditions to feel comfortable to judge if it’s safe. I trusted the company to do that and felt they would since they called off the previous day. I just think they made the wrong call that day.

1  Thank Nicole B
lajollakayak, Owner at La Jolla Kayak, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Hi Nicole,

We sincerely apologize for your experience with us. We take pride in operating a safe and organized business that provides the best experience for our customers, and are continually striving to keep systems in place to ensure this. We will escalate this internally to make sure this doesn't happen again. We would like to offer you a full refund and a voucher for any of our tours. Could you please send an email to sharon@lajollakayak.com with your information so that we can process your refund and provide your family with a voucher?

We sincerely apologize for your family's experience with us. We look forward to hearing from you.

- La Jolla Kayak