We stayed at The Grande Colonial for our 16th wedding anniversary. We "won" a night at the hotel at a charity auction. We paid more at the auction for our night at the hotel than the rack rate for the room, but we are committed to the charity that held the auction. First, the positives: The hotel is beautiful, and the staff is warm and welcoming. Nine-Ten is an amazing restaurant, and our dinners were exceptional (the strip steak and the short ribs). As we live in San Diego, we eat at Nine-Ten several times a year. We will eat at Nine-Ten again soon. Now, the negatives: Our room, room 106, is in the main building just to the left of the reception desk and down a half flight of stairs. The room is nicely decorated, and it is a corner room with big windows. Unfortunately, the odor in the hallway leading to the room is awful. It smells like raw fish. The odor did not change throughout the 20 hours of our stay. Our room did not smell like raw fish; instead, it smelled like a chemically-perfume. It was overpowering. After just one night in the hotel, our clothes were permeated with the odor. Perhaps a room in another part of the hotel would not have this problem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West. Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla