“5 Star if not for the noisy Prospect Street”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Houston, Texas
“5 Star if not for the noisy Prospect Street”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed at the Grande Colonial mid-March for a few nights. Overall it is a great hotel and we were able to get 3 nights for the price of 2 which made it even better. There are many great things that I could say about this hotel. The wonderful check-in, the friendliest service, great people, and so on, it is all there. The one and only minus we experienced was due to the fact that our windowfaced Prospect St. and at night we heard every truck and every police siren in town. If you get the room facing the back yard - the night sounds may be not as horrible.
But, again, overal it is a great hotel. One "MUST" - Visit the seals just behind the hotel (5 min walk) and spent 30 minutes there - a great "free" show for kids and adults.

Room Tip: NOT the rooms facing Prospect St.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Cosmo003
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I was astonished when we received an email from the manager of this hotel hoping our stay was ‘comfortable and memorable’ and inviting us to post our comments on their Tripadvisor page.
Our stay was certainly memorable, but I assume he does not realise that it was only 6 hours long!
The suite we asked for did not have the two chairs we had requested, and as shown in some photographs. We were told a second chair would be against the fire regulations. We reluctantly agreed to a smaller room, in an annexe, in a less quiet area, but which did have both two chairs and a sofa! Both types of internet access eventually worked, after we had told the maintenance man what he needed to switch on in the hotel – before that he told us both our computers were faulty.
However, the floors were filthy and one of the windows did not lock – the room was at street level.
But what finally drove us to leave, at 11.30pm, was the smell of chemicals. The receptionist tried to pass this off as the smell of the sea at low tide!!!!!! Low tide for 6 hours? We live by the sea. It does not smell like that. No-one would take seaside holidays if it did.
We are pretty certain now that we know what that chemical was. We are extremely glad that we didn’t attempt to spend a night in that room.
And if you should still be tempted to saty here, a previous reviewer was correct in their comment that you don't need to use the valet parking as you can park on the street right outside for free.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank TipperC
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear TipperC:
I am extremely concerned about the experience you had while visiting the Grande Colonial. After considerable research of recent stays, we have no record of any similar concerns reported to our staff. Because of that, I am very sorry that I am not able to address your comments. But needless to say, they are very concerning and certainly not representative of the experience we strive to provide our guests. I will be sending you a private note but wanted to comment publicly to let others know that we do indeed take all guest feedback very seriously and, assuming we can get more specific information from you privately, will do our best to look into this matter and ensure other guests don't experience anything similar.
Best regards,
Terrence Underwood
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I so enjoyed my 3-night stay at the GC last week. I was there for business and I have not stayed in a lovelier hotel...very accommodating staff, excellent amenities, wonderful bar and restaurant. The location is excellent...being close to shops, eateries...and right in the middle of Downtown LaJolla. I cannot wait to return for an even longer stay. The French Toast is to die for...it is very, very good. And the new drink...The California Poppy...wow is all I can say...very yummy.

I will find a reason to return to the GC...such a wonderfully helpful staff and an awesome venue!!! It was like staying at the home of a very wealthy friend....loved it!

Room Tip: Try for a room that faces the ocean or the pool...nice, nice, nice!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thanks, Ronsha! I couldn't have been more pleased to read your comments about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. It sounds like we did our job to provide you with a memorable experience. I hope next time you are in town, it will be for pleasure and you'll have an opportunity to truly experience all that is right at our doorstep here in the Village of La Jolla. All our best -
Terrence Underwood
Corrales, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

We had the Jr King Ste. It was great and very comfortable. The best thing about the hotel was the staff and how accomodating they were. Such and nice friendly bunch of people, we will definitely be back to the hotel. 2 little problems that were minor but here they are. We stayed 6 days and in our suite there was only closet space and no drawers. It made it hard to unpack and keep things organized. The second thing was the furniture in our suite was a bit dirty as well as the rug from normal wear and tear. That stuff always gets me. In my book those are minor and like I said above we would definitly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JRomero816
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I have to agree with Maryannestravel's comments below; she took the words right out of my mouth :)
We had a wonderful meeting experience because of the Grande Colonial!

I had been working with Audra, Director of Sales, since August 2011 to host our February event in San Diego. We chose the Grande Colonial in October 2011 for our meeting after looking at several other properties within the area. Audra went above and beyond her duties as Director of Sales! She helped me with not only the contract, but with activities and teambuilding options as well.

We had 40 of the 93 rooms at the GC, and our group enjoyed every minute of their stay! The rooms have wonderful views! I believe that each one is unique in its own way; I personally only got to see three of them. Clean bathrooms, comfortable beds and complimentary water and newspaper each day.

Our group was treated as if we were the only ones there, and as if you were like family. Stellar services throughout the hotel!

We had about 50 people in our daily meetings, and every need was taken care of by the catering staff including special dietary requests. The food was outstanding! And believe me, I’m a very picky eater.

Only negative that we experienced was spotty Wi-Fi service within the hotel.

The hotel is a hop, skip and a jump from the water and Children’s beach. It was nice to take a break from our meetings and go watch the seals! There are plenty of things to do in the area, because you are in the middle of La Jolla. I enjoyed going to see the Dr. Seuss museum a couple of blocks away.

I would definitely consider coming back to this hotel on a personal trip, too.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,954 reviews
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#7 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK