I was astonished when we received an email from the manager of this hotel hoping our stay was ‘comfortable and memorable’ and inviting us to post our comments on their Tripadvisor page.
Our stay was certainly memorable, but I assume he does not realise that it was only 6 hours long!
The suite we asked for did not have the two chairs we had requested, and as shown in some photographs. We were told a second chair would be against the fire regulations. We reluctantly agreed to a smaller room, in an annexe, in a less quiet area, but which did have both two chairs and a sofa! Both types of internet access eventually worked, after we had told the maintenance man what he needed to switch on in the hotel – before that he told us both our computers were faulty.
However, the floors were filthy and one of the windows did not lock – the room was at street level.
But what finally drove us to leave, at 11.30pm, was the smell of chemicals. The receptionist tried to pass this off as the smell of the sea at low tide!!!!!! Low tide for 6 hours? We live by the sea. It does not smell like that. No-one would take seaside holidays if it did.
We are pretty certain now that we know what that chemical was. We are extremely glad that we didn’t attempt to spend a night in that room.
And if you should still be tempted to saty here, a previous reviewer was correct in their comment that you don't need to use the valet parking as you can park on the street right outside for free.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West. Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla