Open today: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Review Highlights
Fantastic time

Had a great time kayaking the caves in La Jolla with Ally and Alexis! They kept us safe through... read more

Reviewed 5 weeks ago
Christy M
via mobile
Great time and awesome views

Booked a kayak tour for a friend and me to see the La Jolla caves. We were out on the ocean for... read more

Reviewed 29 September 2018
annecU5481FH
via mobile

All reviews sea lions our tour guide the check in process wet suits life jackets interesting facts great guide two hours san diego kayak company caves lockers waves equipment ocean trevor
Reviewed 13 January 2018

This is a one stop shop. You can rent kayaks or bikes. It is a stone's throw from La Jolla Beach and has a great store where you can buy water gear. and clothes.

But it isn't IN La Jolla. It's in La Jolla Beach. In order to get to La Jolla, you will have to ride up a very long and steep hill with traffic whizzing by constantly which is a bit tiresome and unnerving.

And they will give you a bike map which looks like you are riding on a bike trail. NO! You will be on city and neighborhood streets the whole way. Most are fine for riding, with minimal traffic. and you will ride by an endless cavalcade of stunningly beautiful houses. And there are side streets to parks and overlooks above the Pacific Ocean. But on a mountain bike the hills are killer.

I recommend renting an electric bike in La Jolla.

But La Jolla Beach is very cool. and the kayak tour offered by Bike & Kayak rentals is a great way to get out on the water and visit the caves where the sea lion lounge. It's easy and fun paddling as long as the wind isn't blowing and the water isn't rough. The ocean can be a bit scary id it's rough, so check the conditions before renting or taking a tour.

The people who run the shop are young and friendly. The cost for renting a bike or kayak is reasonable.

And after your ride, head back down to the beach and check out the scene. Walk along the Boardwalk and take in the sights.

This is definitely the best rental place in La Jolla Beach.

For more travel tips, please check out my popular travel blog.

Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

This is a great tour - Jordan and Robbie were lots of fun. If you don't have any experience kayaking don't worry, they're nice and supportive. Fit for all ages - there were some kids on our trip who seemed to have a really good time. I was also made to feel welcome as a solo traveller which was nice. Would highly recommend, and if you grab an afternoon tour check out the sunset afterwards on the beach - it's beautiful.

Reviewed 15 November 2017

My average rating is a combo - I give it an excellent for the nice employees, convenient location and amenities (changing rooms/bathrooms). I give it a poor for the crappy bikes we tortured ourselves on for about 4 hours. (I see another review similar to this from 11/3 - can't believe I didn't check here first!!)
Who knew renting bikes required more investigation than apparently I gave it?
Ill-fitting fuji bicycles with seats similar to riding a cement curb the long way. OMG, how did we survive as long as we did? The ride back went as quick as we could, much of it standing while peddling. I know what size frame we typically need and then it needs to be adjusted to be comfortable. We went from Large (that was an accident) which was way too big to Smalls which were oddly too short in the frame but then the handlebars were stretched out too far. We needed mediums which I asked for but they thought we needed small which is what my son rode when he was 10-13 years old. My gears didn't all work and it would randomly shift on me once in a while. My pedals had a problem and clicked on each rotation. It was like a little bell warning people I was approaching.
So, no, don't rent bikes for you own use. Maybe they keep the better ones for the tours.
I told them of all the issues when I returned the bike but my gut says it just went back in the line up.
We paid $29 for an all day which we didn't take advantage of as much as I'd hoped due to being uncomfortable.
The bike route involves partial street riding, a few hills and searching for the bike route signs. It wasn't as exciting as we were hoping so I would not bother to say this is something that needs to be done.
We drove to the top of Mt. Soledad afterwards and enjoyed the comfort of car seats. I can say we are glad again we didn't do the tour because biking down is just on the narrow road through that neighborhoods.
Sorry Bike and Kayak, but this aspect of the business was a fail.
It seems the other water related tours are probably a bigger portion of the business and maybe that's where they excel and put their energy.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Had an awesome time with Robbie & Barney to the caves. Went with 3 teenagers who thoroughly enjoyed their time on the water. Robbie & Barney are both very knowledgeable about La Jolla and the caves. We saw sea lions, a shark, dolphins, and some of the local fish during our two hour trip. Well worth the money spent!

Reviewed 13 October 2017

We did the kayak tour of the 7 caves, our 2 guides were great. Lots of cheesy jokes, but very informative of the geography and all that we passed. its of great views and were very close to the sea lions. We were able to kayak around one of the pillars of one cave, and also did get to kayak through one of the caves, the guides said that doesn't happen much because the waves are too big. Not sure if that was true or not, but it was pretty cool to get to see. Lots of fun and from what I could find, this place had the best value ($40 for a single kayak, $75 for the double). Parking nearby is free but very short term, but you only have to go off a few blocks and it is longer term.