All reviews ski resort dinner buffet snow park mountain view steak hot springs in december italian restaurant winter wonderland chitose airport hot bath powder snow huge room separate toilet buffet style short bus large bus
Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

It’s a Tribute, so expected it to be one. It’s like the Four Points by Sheraton for luxury collection.

Nice resort and I assume it would be amazing in winter with lots & lots of activities with families, much better resort than Sheraton but it’s further away from the slopes if you don’t mind.

Would definitely come back in winter, just some things can be improved but nothing major...

Clearer TV remote control instruction
Yukata in the room, at least provide them for SPG elite members
There was no one at the Front drive to help with luggage or provide warm welcome. We didn’t need help with the bags but there could be others with real need for help
I know it’s a Japanese thing but can we make breakfast finishes later at least to 10, after all it’s a resort...

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank spxcfc
Reviewed 15 July 2018

The rooms are nicely renovated at this ski resort. However, service provided by the hotel is very poor. E.g. one day the ski field was shut due to wind, yet there was no communication about this. Further, there is nothing to do at the resort while the ski field was shut (the onsen is closed most of the day).

Every time you go to reception you get endlessly passed between people – none of whom are actually empowered to help you.

I was given as a Gold welcome amenity: a drinks voucher. However the restaurants all refused to take it. (note all the places to eat in Kiroro are part of the hotel - the 'Town' is just a part of the hotel that you have to walk outside to).

The staff at check-in were very clear that I was staying 4 nights. However, I arrived back at the hotel after 1 night to find my ski locker had been emptied and my shoes had been lost by the hotel (eventually found) and my room keys had also stopped working.

I recommend you avoid this hotel: there are many far more enjoyable places to stay when skiing in Japan.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank TravelJPN
Kirorohotels, Manager at The Kiroro, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Hokkaido, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2018

Dear TravelJPN,

We believe we have responded to the similar comments via different channels. We regret that we cannot fulfill you expectation. We wish you all the very best in your travelling and hope that you will find your favorite destination.

Reviewed 10 June 2018

This is a great ski hotel. It's not ski on/ski off like the Sheraton is, but it's literally a 2 minute ride on the shuttle to the lifts, the shuttle is free and runs every 10-15 minutes. Definitely a good deal for skiing as a couple, as a family, etc.

The property looked like it was going to be more luxurious than it was...it was really a large hotel where many buses drop off skiers it appears from China. That's a fair model, and this is part of the tribute portfolio, which I'm still getting to know. i thought this would be more comparable to a luxury collection property and it is not. It's a large hotel, that is comfortable an does the job while being definitely a bit unique.

As a platinum member we were given a nice room with a view of the mountains, not a suite, but really the room was more than spacious enough. the pump shampoo, conditioner, and body wash wasn't exactly luxurious, but again, I needed slightly different expectations walking in.

As as a platinum member we had free breakfast. This breakfast is exactly what you need when you're going skiing. A lot of food at a buffet that's actually not bad. There's espresso, tea, noodles, omlettes, fresh eggs, pancakes, bacon, you name it...it's there. I wouldn't say anything was gourmet, but I would say that almost none of it was subpar either. It was a good selection of average to good quality food.

Free platinum drinks also exist, so there's a huge benefit to loyalty there. We had beer and snacks on the house at the bar. Super comfortable space, really nice folks, it's only 2 hours a day, but better than most lounges would give you.

The dining options in the hotel are not great at least from a pricing perspective, but we drove over to Otaru (like 40 minutes) to get some amazing sushi. It was worth it. The food there is fantastic.

I'd stay here again. It's a solid hotel for skiing. I was surprised that the suites were taken and we weren't upgraded to one, but I understand I didn't need one either. Definitely not a St. Regis skiing experience...but a really good value for the money spent.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelBear990
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

The room was huge and clean. The free public bath was excellent. In addition, our kid enjoyed the kids snow park a lot.

However, while I feel this is a good hotel. Given what I have paid for, there's a huge room for improvement. For example, the convenience stores inside the hotel were small, expensive and useless. There weren't many food nor snacks for us to buy there. To make the matter worse, as I'm a smoker, they did not sell cigarette at the convenience store and the 2 vending machine they have are pretty old and the choices are pretty limited.

The restaurants are also very pricey too and the taste was not worth the price. You have to also book the seat in advance. Otherwise, they may not let you simply walk in.

Onsen closes too early. Having travelled the whole day, I wanted to relax at the onsen only to found out that they did not let me in. The staff told me that I cant access the onsen after 10PM !!!

Regarding the guest room, the bed's too soft and not very comfy. It gave me a backache. The pillow's too soft too. So it's not a very good sleeping experience.

Finally, it'd be good if the hotel provides a free shuttle bus from Otaruchikko station given that the hotel is on the mountain. Having paid quite a bit for the accomodations, it's quite strange that guests have to also pay for the shuttle bus to be there !!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Kirorohotels, Manager at The Kiroro, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Hokkaido, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Dear Thiti S,

Thank you for your visit at The Kiroro, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Hokkaido.

May we take this opportunity to keep you informed that the hotel has 02 stores, one at the lobby level next to Alpine Brasserie restaurant where the grab & go selections of snacks and souvenirs are sold while the Resort Market at the Kiroro town across the Onsen have range of products from the branded items of The North Face and Chums, Hokkaido souvenirs to food & drink items. The location itself is of 180+ sqm. The pricing of the items sold is in line with any other ski resorts and we cannot afford to match supermarket price. There are also drink and/or snacks vending machines located on the guest Floors 03 - 11.

We are not licensed to sell cigarettes at our shops hence we arrange the licensed 3rd party to operate the cigarettes vending machines, we will address your comment over the selections to them.

We believe that it is also a normal practice for any restaurants in Japan and worldwide if it would reject the walk-in when the existing seating is full. You may advise us to which restaurants that you have compared us to when you addressed that the price and the taste was not worth, so that we can further investigate and understand if we need to adjust to remain competitive and in line with the same level of business competitors.

While we schedule our business hours to majority demand, even the Onsen have the last admission at 22:30 hrs. for it is closed at 23:00, the alternative option is a public bath located on 8th Floor with the closing time at midnight.

We are so sorry to hear that you have not had a memorable sleeping experience because of the bed and the pillows, if you do not mind sharing more details of which room you have stayed, we can look into that and investigate if the mattress needs to be changed as majority of our rooms has the new beds.

Lastly, we seek for your kind patronage to see the shuttle bus situation for those who do not want to be forced to have the price hidden in the room rate. When you see the service should be included with no extra charge, however in reality, the ride itself is 40 minutes as the bus has to commute between Otaru to The Kiroro. If you take a taxi, it would cost you JPY 7,000 - 8,000 per ride. The hotel maintain a very minimal charge of JPY 700 per adult or JPY 400 per child, not to make the profit but to ensure that there is accessibility for the guests.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

My room wasn’t well stocked with amenities when I checked in. Had to call Housekeeping for basic stuff like hand soap. Limited food selection. Buffet cost bout $35usd n have disappointing selection. Staff did helped with early check in though. Husband ear bled at night and they couldn’t give much advice on nearest medical facility which is bad

Trip type: Travelled with family
Kirorohotels, Manager at The Kiroro, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Hokkaido, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Dear Cynthia Y,

Greetings from The Kiroro, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Hokkaido and thank you for your recent stay with us.

We regret that your stay experience was not up to the expectation as per your mention that the amenities were not well stock. Of this we would like to inform you that certain item, e,g. hand soap is not the standard setting as we have set a bottle of hand & face liquid wash already at the wash basin, hence there are variety of items which are available on request yet was not set inside the bathroom due to the limitation of the space.

On the separate note, we would keep our team better knowledgeable about the medical facilities and we do apologize that the appropriate recommendation was not provided at the time you were staying with us.

We do hope that we would have a chance to welcoming you back in the future.