All reviews one night solve problems tuk tuk an excellent hotel ferry pier nice stay pool area small fridge clean hotel good size fresh fruit family room short stay wi fi quiet at night spent nights minute walk to the beach
Reviewed 17 November 2015

The owner of this hotel advised his 'son' and receptionist to accept a booking off Booking.com despite the fact that he had promised me a room. The father and son, as the son alleges they are, are greedy and judgemental. The son who had offered me a room before the father sold it to Booking.com told me I was stupid to arrive in Cambodia without accommodation which was a total lie as he knew full well that I was staying down the road and was looking for alternative accommodation. I put the word out and around amongst the travellers, of whom there were very many, that I came into contact with about how I was treated. No need for Klaus to respond as his son later said he suddenly had a room. No thanks.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Lttle_Gem
Klaus E, Owner at The Tamarind, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2015

The guest came to the hotel looking for a room. We showed her the last room available in that category. She said she might take it and then left. In the meantime a big online booking agent sent us a reservation for that room. We don't keep rooms for walk-in guests until they really check in. Many times the guests look at a room and then never come back. This is what happened here. The guest was very agitated and yelled at both the receptionist (my step-son) and myself over the phone. Calling us dishonorable here is an insult. If she had paid for the room the first time we would have kept it. This is how the hotel business works. We did have a room in another category which this guest did not like. Online booking agents have agreements with hotels and get an allotment of rooms they can book freely. Guest must understand this.

Reviewed 10 November 2015

This hotel was the sixth one I stayed at since I have been away travelling, and the only one to disappoint. I did my homework before leaving and all other hotels exceded expectations. I did my home work before leaving on trip advisor and booking sites. I had some reservations before booking at the Tamarind after reading other reviews, but in the end I decided to run with it. This was a mistake. Now I tell you why. The main point is the air-con does not cool the room as it should. This was mentioned in other reviews. It is OK at night time when it's actually working but completely inadequate during the heat of the daytime. The reason it dosen't work is the cooling units are way under powered for the room size. The unit is a budget 830w unit that has to cool a 25sq /m room. Secondly when the power goes off which it did on 4 occasions during my 3 night stay, their is no back up generator at this place, so you swelter in the room. On one occasion the power failure lasted for 4.5hrs. I queried this with the owner Klaus who informed me the reason for not installing a back up generator was because of environmental concerns.I noted however for someone expressing such concern for the enviroment I didn't see any solar panels on the roof, or any other alternative back up options such as solar PV and or battery backup options, that would meet the regular power failures that occur here and keep the guests in the comfort for which they have paid for. Other hotels have back up generators. Smoking was also most prevalent at this enviromentally friendly place both at the restaurant whilst having breakfast, and in the evenings on the verandas. All verandas had ash trays. Their was not one sign asking guests to refrain from smoking at the restaurant. The breakfast was the worst I have ever had. I was told what I could order. If I had this, then I couldn't have that. It was unbelievable. I could write more other than to say, the best thing that happened today is when I left the Tamarind this morning, and Iam now staying in a wonderful hotel here in Phnom Penh. Everything works, and I am looking forward to enjoying a great buffet breakfast tomorrow morning and no longer at the mercy of the shortfalls of the Tamarind.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Reviewernz101
Klaus E, Owner at The Tamarind, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2015

Needless to say that we are sorry for any inconvenience guests might encounter and apologize for that.
But unfortunately, in the hotel business we sometimes get guests who are not satisfied with anything and find fault with everything. Also in the hospitality business we are supposed to be understanding and polite in our responses to reviews. In this particular case we find this very difficult to do as this guest started nagging from the first hour on in his stay. As the owner I will still comment and hopefully elucidate this guest.
The air conditioning units run on 750 watts but they all have a turbo option which increases the wattage to 1100. This is normally sufficient to cool a 25 m2 room to pleasant room temperatures. The difference between ambient temperatures outside and inside should be around 10° to make humans feel comfortable.
On his initial complaint we refilled the cooling gas and we measured temperatures of 22° C in his room – normal room temps. We did this when he was away expecting more complaints from this guest. Furthermore, this is a ground level resort hotel. Ambient temperatures during the day reach a felt 40° C. It will take any a/c more than an hour to cool a room down despite the walls being double-brick insulated. Using the fan and opening the window for just a little bit will cool down the room much more quickly.
In a resort hotel, nearly all guests usually spend their days at the beach, exploring the area, or just lounging at the pool. It is amazing that some guests bask in the hot sun for hours to get a tan but then complain that the room is not cool enough.
This guest wanted to spend his time in the room during the day. Guests should be aware that they traveled to a hot, tropical country in SE Asia. We asked the guests in the adjoining rooms about this. No one had a complaint.
Cambodia is a third-world country and 60% of the population still lives without any electricity at all. Only last year did the country complete a power grid supplying enough electricity for the population centers. However, the grid is somewhat outdated and sometimes is not able to cope with the rising power consumption. As a result circuit breakers go off and it sometimes takes a while to find where the fault is. The supervision of the grid is not computerized so they actually have to follow the power lines and transfer boxes. We also had incidents in the past where trucks ran into power poles. In fact, the power was off 2 times during this guest’s stay – one lasting 45 minutes, and one lasting 90 minutes, both were during the day. All other guests in our 16 room hotel that was fully booked were outside the hotel at the time. As a matter of fact, power supply in ensured 99% of the time. All the other hotels that have larger gensets date back to the time 3 years ago when the power supply was completely insufficient. Those days are over.
We do have a smaller emergency genset installed, though. However, we do not use a 30+KVA genset for environmental concerns. They all work on Diesel and emit noxious fumes, not to mention the noise pollution. The guest’s suggestion for solar panels is greatly appreciated. If he were willing to pay $100/night we would gladly install them.
Guests like him forget where they traveled expecting the same luxuries as in developed countries the West but they are unwilling to pay higher room rates as they expect everything to be cheap in Cambodia. It is cheap in comparison but this is achieved because of low wages. Everything else, e. g. electricity, is more expensive than in the West. We would like to pay higher wages if guests were to accept higher rates. They don’t.
The hotel is a non-smoking establishment but we do allow smoking outside the rooms. Smoking is a health hazard but to our knowledge has no environmental impact. Guests have never complained about this before. One also has to consider that the non-smoking drive in the West is not replicated in Asia at all. People smoke everywhere. Some are clearly oblivious to a possible annoyance to other guests. Guests sensitive to smoke will need to find a separate place to sit.
As mentioned, this guest was not happy with anything so it is no surprise that he did not find the breakfast satisfactory either, as opposed to the vast majority of our 5000 guests a year. And finally, this guest’s view is diametrically opposed to 98% of favorable reviews on all relevant websites. Some guests just need to reconsider their perception of their destination country. We always strive to give them the best possible service.

Reviewed 3 November 2015 via mobile

A good value for money place. The best thing of the hotel was the staff. They made things easy to travel to koh rong and PP. They spoke English well and had some good tips about enjoying nightlife. The rooms were basic and something you can expect for this price. Television was big though. For (romantic) couples I would recommend to go to koh rong and not to stick around for too long in sihanoukville.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Klaus E, Owner at The Tamarind, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2015

We are glad you liked our little hotel and found everything to your satisfaction. A little side note, though, with all due respect - our rooms are certainly more than basic with all the amenities we offer.

Reviewed 30 October 2015 via mobile

The tamarind was the best we could find in Sihanoukville, although the
first room they brought us to was covered in mouse poop on the beds and floor. When questioned they said people always transfer out of this room...... The room they brought us to was clean, but the AC lacked gusto. Breakfast was lack luster. They don't serve dinner, but offered to order take out. The pool was nice, but was very warm and had little white floaties in it. The service was amazing, and both front desk men were very helpful. I would recommend the place because it is by far better than the dumps "downtown" but it should have been cheaper for what is provided.

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank David B
Klaus E, Owner at The Tamarind, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2015

Thank you for your comments. We had originally written a response that was in error; we had it removed. So here is the correct response.
You had booked the Junior Suite originally; but we upgraded you to our poolrooms. As it turned out your room had been broken into by a mouse or rat. You probably did not notice the hole in the screen. This is how it got in. Unfortunately, vermin are present in Cambodia everywhere due to the lack of trash removal. We do regularly run pest controls but this must have happened right that same day. We immediately gave you another room, which you liked. The a/c has a special 'turbo' button to increase the cooling power. The white floaties were part of our chlorination. They dissolve giving our pool sparkling water. Our system won't make you feel or smell the chlorine. You stayed only one night. You would have been a very satisfied guest we are sure if you had stayed longer. As for the value for money, we can only point out that you got a very low rate of $33.50 per night including a good breakfast. How that is overpriced we cannot quite follow. Please come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 12 October 2015 via mobile

Stayed here for just one night in transit, asked to stay another but unfortunately they were all booked up! Immaculate air-conditioned rooms, lovely swimming pool, friendly and helpful staff! Excellent value for money! Would definitely recommend!

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank MegSchki
Klaus E, Owner at The Tamarind, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2015

I am sorry we couldn't help you extend one night. As you know there was the highest holiday coming up and we had been full well in advance. During high season it is advisable to book at least a month ahead of time. We are so glad you liked your brief stay.