“As good as it gets”

Wish You Were Here... Guesthouse & Bar
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Wish you were here was the best hostel I have stayed at on my 2 months trip to asia so far. It really captures the essence of Otres Beach with a laidback atmosphere, chilling out or partying with the owners, and 50m from the beach front. I stayed in the dorms and they were comfortable, clean, fan (but cool) with a great deal of respect between costumers and safe atmosphere all around. However the owners really make the difference, either sharing a drink or putting great music on (one of them is a DJ) they really make you feel at home. Restaurant does not offer a great variety but all the food I had was great. Wifi is very good (superbe for cambodian standards) and the bar/louge area is a great place to relax and unwind. We expected to stay for a couple of night and ended up spending 8 nights there. Totally recommended.

Room Tip: try to get a bed by the door as that is where the only plug in the dorm is.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
WishCambodia, Owner at Wish You Were Here... Guesthouse & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Thank you for the amazing review mate!! We are really glad you enjoyed your time at Wish, most of all you felt at home and left relaxed. We've improved all the rooms so you dont need to try and get a bed near the door anymore :) See you next time for a beer!!!
Safe travels from Wish mate!!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

A friend and I were the first online bookers of this amazing guesthouse. We booked a room for new years eve and the day after in the beginning of november, when this place was not more than some wood lying in the sand. But these guys handled it to build an awsome place to stay in 13 weeks.
I will never forget when we arrived there but I need to go a little bit back.
We landed in Phnom Phen and there were many guys who wanted us to take their taxi for a ride to sihanoukville for 100 US Dollars because they said there will be no more buses going to sihanoukville. After the bus company confirmed us, that there is no more bus we tried to find another travel agency. But the taxi driver was shortly calling the other agency everytime before we arrived there and telling them to say to us that there are no more busses going. After we recognized that, we went to one of the travel agency on our own and hurray! there was a bus...
Arriving in sihanoukville it was the totally chaos, the king was in town and thousands of people were there for celebrating new years eve.
Got screwed, tired, stressed. welcome to cambodia.
But then we arrived at "wish you were here, Otres Beach". We were late but Johnny welcomed us with the words: No worries! and showed us the room. We had our first (but not last) beer and finally arrived in cambodia like I want to remember.
The place is not a 5 Star Hilton, but that wasn't what we were looking for and these guys are so amazing friendly and helpfull. They trusted us by open a tab, we even added a night more. It was like family. Finally the holiday started!
On our trip further in Laos we met a girl we recomended this place because she wanted to visit sihanoukville and she doesn't regret it.

Thanks Aaron and Johnny, if we ever will be in sihanoukville again you will see us :)
Dirk and Dirk

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Hey guys!! Thank you so much for the amazing times and compliments, we will never forget our first online bookers!!! It was great to meet both of you, you definitely are part of the Wish family and i'm sure our paths will cross again in the future. All the best in your coming adventures and it would be great to see you both again for a drink or two!!
Safe travels guys!!!

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed there over Christmas 2011. Best hostel I have stayed in on my travels. Not only is the place well set out but it is the staff that make the place worth the stay. The boys who run this chilled out joint know how to look after their customers. They regulary went out of their way for me and my friend and I cannot wait to go back and have a beer with the boys in the bar. Top place!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

It was great to meet you Marcus! We're glad you had a ball mate and hope to see you again for a few more beers!!! Cheers, Az & Johnny

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed at Wish you were here over the christmas & new year 2011/2012. The owners Aaron & Johnny couldn't have been more helpful, constantly working and making sure everyone was looked after. The beds were nice and comfy and you had everything you need to enjoy everything that otres beach has to offer. all in all great atmosphere great owners and just a great place to stay!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I heard about Wish You Were Here before it opened and planned to stay at it for a long time before, and when I arrived I was not disappointed. It was exactly the atmosphere I was looking for in accomodation, firstly, the location on the beautiful Otres Beach is like no other, a paradise still a secret gem untoiuched by the loud, tourist effect spreading through many beaches of South East Asia. The owners and general staff were the best staff I encountered throughout my whole 3 month trip in Asia, always willing to help you, even when they were rushed off their fit, not only that, I made a new family at Wish You Were Here, and it felt as if when every set of new guests arrived they were welcomed into the little family spirit that they created. I had my christmas and my birthday at Wish You Were Here and it was more than I could have hoped for, I had the best festive season ever. I stayed at Wish You Were for almost a month, despite trying to leave to other places on several occasiosns, me and my friends couldnt bring ourselves to leave such a beautiful place and such wonderful people. The food only just started to get off the ground when we were there but it was superb and definitely had the edge compared to alot of the similar style menus in Sihanoukville.I stayed in the dorms for almost 4 weeks and found them really comfortable, affordable and safe, you have your all trunk style locker for stuff but alot of time I left my things unlocked or on my bed, kind of gives an idea of the safe, trusting atmosphere at this place. I still think about Wish You Were Here all the time and know I will visit these guys again, staying here is an amazing experience that everyone should try :)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo