“Quintessential Escape”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Julian
Artists Loft Julian
Reviewed 10 January 2012

The perfect place for a quiet escape. Chuck and Nan were perfect hosts and made sure we were comfortable before leaving us alone. We stayed at the Cabin on Strawberry Hill. The fireplace kept us very toasty on the cool nights, plus added a wonderful ambiance. The kitchenette was just the right size. The fridge came stocked with farm fresh eggs, juice, and a few staples.

The wild turkeys were fun to watch (who knew?) and the deer added a peaceful, calming tone. During the winter, you can see the sunrise and sunset from the same seat on the porch. That with the deer and a glass of wine...relaxation.

If you're looking for a quiet getaway, with a phenomenal view, this is the place.

Room Tip: The Cabin at Strawberry Hill was a perfect romantic getaway.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheParrothead
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

I desperately needed a vacation. I got to the point of trying to open my front door with the car alarm and change the channel with my cell phone.

I chose The Artist's Loft based primarily on their website. It's not fancy, but they had nice quotes towards the bottom of the home page. When in doubt, I usually choose a book by it's cover. Plus, they had several positive on-line reviews. I had no idea the experience would exceed our expectations!

From the time I reserved the room by e-mail, the service was exemplary. The owners were polite, friendly and extremely helpful. They e-mailed me back right away and even answer the phone themselves.

The tour of the Loft turned into an unexpected but welcome, guided history of the adventerous lives of the proprietors, as told by Chuck. When my boyfriend is Chuck's age, I hope he stays as hot as this guy! Although he qualifies for the Early Bird Special, this guy is definetely the early bird who gets the worm!

That interaction marked the start of a wonderfully creative, fun experience in Julian.

The accomodations were first-class. They make "staying in a cabin" like a 5-star hotel.

They have the best mattress. We were told we could drop a bowling ball on it and our partner wouldn't feel a thing. We didn't try it, but I can vouch for the pain-free sleep and waking up without the aches and pains from sleeping a cheap bed.

I'm always cold, but here, the heating rises from the soft, hardwood floors to create a perfect temperature. We didn't need to use the wood-burning stove, but it would be great in the winter.

There is plenty of comfortable seating. We were so impressed by the Artist's Loft, we invited my boyfriend's mom up to see it one of the days we stayed there. I know, we're weird, but we love family and we just had to show someone!

The kitchen is built for a chef and thank God my boyfriend cooks. The owners provided fresh juice, farm-fresh eggs, specialty bread and local jams for breakfast. The fridge is big enough to hold a gallon of fruit punch and the biggest jug of Malibu Rum they sell (in case someone were to bring those things with them).

The entire stay, we felt like we were being treated to something special. Hand-made soap, organic juice, specially-selected music and water bottles on the bedside tables are just a few of the amenities that make a simple stay feel like a gift from a good friend.

Room Tip: Stay mid-week to miss the crowds in Julian.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jenireyes
Reviewed 22 March 2011

We stayed in the Cabin at Stawberry Hill for two nights while in the Julian area for the Oriflamme 50k trail race. It was lovely. The cabin is very private, peaceful, comfortable and spacious. It is beautifully built from natural materials, has a high ceiling, open floor plan and wonderful, whimsical furnishings. From the front porch, we enjoyed expansive views of the surrounding landscape, while inside the cabin, sunlight streams through the upper windows and the others are shaded by the beautiful old oak trees that surround the cabin. Wild turkeys come by periodically, making their gobble-gobble calls. This is a very special place with a great deal of character and charm. We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LJEBishop_CA
Reviewed 25 January 2011

Amazing cabin that is warm, inviting, clean and relaxing. Beautiful views, gorgeous home to spend some time in. Would come back in a heartbeat. The owners are wonderful, peaceful people who take great care of this cabin. We are lucky they share it with us! Stayed in Big Cat and LOVED it. Especially the fireplace.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bcinsd15
Reviewed 25 October 2010

First of all I have over 100 yelp reviews and would like to note that this will be my favorite review out of all the 100 reviews on yelp. My boy friend and I just got back yesterday from Julian and we stayed at the Strawberry Hill Cabin. I can honestly say I am not sure how to write this review because I had such a magical time and have so much to say!!! First of all I would like to start off by clearing all the negative remarks on this cabin (Which there are not many) To all of you that are offended that the owners wouldn't let you stay because you are a smoker.... I completely understand. Chuck and Nan (The owners) take great pride in their cabins which THEY built. I don't blame them for wanting their cabins to be CLEAN, beautiful, and smelly free :) Chuck and Nan are very inspirational people and have done many inspirational things in their life time. If you ever decide to stay in their cabins take some time to get to know them! Second of all these cabins are ALL amazing. Chuck showed us all of the cabins and gave us a lot of awesome information about each and every one of them. Let me start off by saying, The artist loft is the biggest and best for 2 couples. This cabin has superb architecture and a beautiful view. This cabin has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and a bed in the loft. AMAZING!! The big cat cabin is the second biggest and was built in the 1900's. This cabin is best for a couple and the room is separate from the living room. This cabin has a wonderful stone fire place and great views of LOTS of deer and trees :) Last but not least The strawberry hill cabin (Where my boy friend and I stayed) is a small but extremely COZY cabin. This cabin is a studio but a very large studio. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who wants to be very close to their partner or is traveling alone. This cabin in my opinion has the best view and in my opinion is the most romantic!! In the end no matter what cabin you stay in you will be VERY HAPPY!! Like I said Chuck and Nan make sure you are very pleased and do everything they can to tell you about the town and all of the awesome places to stay. I looked at other bed in breakfast places but NONE were THIS amazing. I would choose these cabins over anywhere else in Julian by FAR!! :) My boy friend and I will be going back in a few months because we had such an amazing time. Please take note and take care of the cabins if you stay in them!! The owners take so much pride in their cabins and I can totally see why!!!!! xoxo

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple