See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 October 2015

This place looks lovely and might be fantastic but several calls and emails to make a reservation went unacknowledged. If they can't manage the courtesy of a return call/email it's hard to imagine they care about providing decent service.

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank wehrli0
Reviewed 8 October 2015

Six college girlfriends chose this historic cottage because it met our needs for separate sleeping areas amd location to shopping and dining. We rented the entire Main House with four bedroom and three bathrooms.
The cottage has been restored but has maintained its historical charm. The beds are comfortable and the cottage clean. We felt it was a step back in time in a period when Julian was a thriving mining town. With a new owner, it has been renamed The Painted Porch. Linda the owner is very accomodating. She made sure our stay at her cottage met our expectations.

Date of stay: October 2015
2  Thank 1travelwarrior
Reviewed 8 September 2015

This tree-shaded bed-and-breakfast built as a rental for gold miners in 1899 is a 4-minute walk from the Julian Pioneer Museum, and a 5-minute walk from the Eagle and High Point Gold Mine.

Quaint rooms with private baths and cable TV feature individual decor and antiques such as claw-foot tubs, stained-glass transoms and paintings from World Renown Linda Pierson' (The new owner). A cottage in the back garden has tin ceilings, a private deck and a Balinese wedding bed.

Amenities include a continental breakfast of coffee, tea, muffins, plus access to a full kitchen with a microwave and an old-fashioned gas stove. There's also a covered front porch with bench seating. New comfortable beds, T.V's. and refrigerators now added to the nostalgic suites. Hope to see you soon at the...

"The Painted Porch"

Address: 2603 C St, Julian, CA 92036

Phone:(760) 765-1931

Room tip: Quaint Inn, filled with antiques and paintings.
Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank piersonspaintedporch
Reviewed 10 November 2014

We booked the entire house for this weekend for a girls weekend for the family. We ranged from ages 17 to 84 and each and every one of us was charmed by this home. The age of the home and its little quirks added to the homey feel and humor filled weekend. Jody and Ed showed me the home and then left us alone to enjoy ourselves, which is a big plus when renting a home instead of hotel. I was confident they would be there in case of problems, but letting us feel the home was ours for the weekend. If you like a visit to the past, with the convenience of today, you should love this home. And Julian was a great little place to spend time. Be sure to get a chicken pie at Moms!

Room tip: Each room was charming and two baths have beautiful claw foot tubs.
Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Luckymomsocal
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We were looking for a pleasant Valentine's getaway for a reasonable price in Julian. The photos of Ed's Playhouse showed a quaint and cozy room which turned out to be creatively decorated but somewhat inconvenient for two people with regular luggage.

The person who took my reservation was very friendly and seemed to hear what I had to say. However, it turned out that my request to hold the reservation on my credit card and to be paid by my boyfriend upon arrival was not honored. In fact the charges for the two-night stay were posted on my credit card even before our arrival date. When I had arrived, I found out about the payment mix-up and the owner was very reluctant to rectify the mistake (saying that it would be very difficult to refund the amount and to put it on the proper credit card). So, I had to ask my boyfriend to reimburse me.

The lighting to get into the room from the parking space was very poor and actually dangerous at night time. If I had not read one of the previous reviews to know that I had to bring a strong flashlight, we would have been stumbling along the uneven and wet surfaces to the cabin. The lattice work above the bed was broken and my boyfriend scraped his forehead on it a few times before I stuffed napkins there to help alert him to the potential hazard.

One had to be fairly agile and strong to get out of bed in the middle of the night if one were sleeping closer to the wall. To avoid waking my partner and to dodge the broken woodwork, I had to do a partial push-up and employ some contortive moves. The mattress was not very comfortable. I was grateful to only be sleeping there for two nights.

The heat in the room was often too hot or lacking as there was no thermostat for the wood-burning stove that had been converted to gas burning. It looked nice but was not as comfortable as most folks are probably used to. There was a strong draft above the water closet and there was no heat in the bathroom unless one kept the door open.

Overall the room was fairly clean except for cobwebs in several corners and in the lattice work above the bed. There was some really cruddy stuff on the bed platform towards the head of the bed which my boyfriend advised me to not look at. We simply moved the mattress to block the debris from being close to our heads.

One could appreciate the artful touches throughout the cabin but I would be concerned about the safety and well being of guests in this particular room. I hope they'll provide adequate lighting from the parking space to the entry door to avoid any mishaps and to repair and/or warn guests about the hazardous lattice work above the bed. The best feature about this lodging was its quiet location, surrounded by trees and close to the center of town.

Date of stay: February 2014