All reviews river's end russian river the river shower room small mini fridge salmon chowder can't wait to come back goat rock great escape stayed for two nights incredible views on the rocks sea lions killer view fire pit watch the sunset wi fi
Reviewed 23 November 2015

Only room 5 and cabin 4 were available when we turned up one Thursday in November. We discarded the smaller room as it was situated beneath the bustling restaurant and opted for the cabin which is located the furthest from the restaurant down the steep road leading to the Russian River’s edge, and as such has the least good views though it still overlooks Goat’s Rock and the attractive Sonoma coast beyond.

The cabin is quite cozy with its wood walls and electric fire in a sombre, masculine way (carved deer head on the wall, rustic wood furniture and dark leather sofa). Large windows (with no bug netting and impossible to lock for one of the smaller ones) offer unobstructed views (at least when standing, they disappear behind the banister when you sit down). There’s a fridge and coffee maker, but no TV, or DVD and no internet or phone connection. A cold, dated but clean toilet/shower room (no bath) provides cheap toiletries but plenty of hot water. Cabin guests can park in one of the spaces directly below the balcony, next to the *garden” which is in dire need of tidying up, never mind landscaping.

The bed was comfortable, but the steep road directly behind the cabin’s front door meant we heard a number of vehicles struggling up it in the early hours of the morning. The electric fire was tiny and didn’t produce much heat (and seemed to be the only heating available).

After our all mod cons cottage at Mendocino’s Sea Rock Inn, River’s End Resort felt shabby and run down. I’m not sure what you would do here long term either. Jenner consists of a handful of houses and other than the unattractive (perhaps because the river was low) stretch of Russian River directly beneath the Resort which you can walk to, all other destinations (including the beach you can see in the distance) are accessible only by car. No entertainment is provided in-house expect for the restaurant/bar and without wifi or phone coverage we couldn’t really check out our options. Good job we only stayed one night and when we tried to drop off the key in the morning we found the reception locked.

Overpriced at $149, at least for the location and amenities provided.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wucie
Reviewed 2 November 2015

River's End is a lovely place to stay and dine. The cabins are quaint and located where the Russian River meets the ocean. Each cabin has a little deck and big sliding glass doors that offer an amazing view. We felt tha the cabins could use a little updating. The carpet was a little stiff and sticky and the bathroom was dark and outdated. Peeling cabinets, dark linoleum floor, and a little gloomy feeling.

Dinner at the restaurant was lovely, though that too could use a refresh - some new paint and a new carpet would really brighten the place.

The service was excellent though, and overall the experience was lovely.

Worth noting: there is literally ZERO cell service in this area. It's lovely to be unplugged, but if you have visions of planning your next day's activities from your room, think again!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leah W
Reviewed 24 October 2015

We had eaten at the restaurant on previous trips and always wanted to stay the night but were afraid of driving back to our hotel. This time we decided to spend a night in Jenner before heading to SFO to return home. I am so glad we did. My husband tried to downplay my expectations because he was afraid it might be too rustic of an experience and that I might not enjoy it. It was just fabulous. First of all, the cabin was immaculate and there was both a loveseat and a big comfy leather chair to sit in. The room was bigger than I expected and the view from the balcony (cabin 2) was just wonderful. We basically spent our time gazing and taking pictures. We opened a bottle of wine to watch the sun set and then went to the restaurant for a terrific meal. I loved seeing the stars at night from the bed. There is no need to pull the shades down as you face the water and it is private. If I had to improve the experience, I would have great coffee in the room or in walking distance. I am a coffee fiend and I don't love Maxwell House (which is the coffee one has in the room machine). However, that is a minor thing in the scheme of things and I would definitely stay here again. There is no phone service in the room, no cell phone service in the area (except Verizon which is intermittent) and no tv in the room. I didn't miss it at all. The solitude was wonderful. I gave the main number to my family for emergencies and loved disconnecting. We had a wonderful experience.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank leslielena
Reviewed 15 October 2015

One of our favorite places! Rustic cabins overlooking the Russian River where it meets the ocean. Great restaurant attached. No phones, no tv, no wifi, no cell phone service. Incredible views. Pelicans, ospreys, seals, hummingbirds, even a pair of bald eagles one winter.

Stayed: October 2015
1  Thank MartyCJr
Reviewed 14 September 2015

I'll start with what I liked, which isn't much. The cabin, #4, was clean and charming, with pine walls and ceiling and a deck facing the mouth of the river and the ocean beyond. The restaurant food was also very good. That's it.
Here is what will prevent us from returning. The property around the hotel is a mess, no landscaping and trash and weeds everywhere. There is nothing within walking distance and without cell service or wifi, you need to leave town to plan what to do with your day. We knew they'd be no service when we booked the place but thought nothing of it because we normally explore the towns we visit and don't need the internet. The problem here is that Jenner is just not a warm and welcoming coastal town. There is next to nothing to do within walking distance and the hotel provides no perks to keep you interested. Nearby towns upriver like Duncan Mills, Monte Rio, etc, provide far more charm and adventure. While the view from the deck was spectacular, that's all they got going for them and for the price they charge and the lack of any amenities, they really don't provide good value for your buck. We won't be returning here.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple