“Well worth your time”

Fort Ross State Historic Park Walking Tour
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Jenner
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: As of November 3rd, we are open only on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays (closed on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays) through March 15th. In addition we are open on state holidays: January 1 & 19, February 16, March 31, May 25, July 4th, September 7, November 11, Closed Thanksgiving & Christmas Day. Open December 22nd, 23rd, 24th and from December 26th to January 2nd. Because of Sacramento budget cuts, our days of operations vary with the season. Originally built by Russians in 1812, Fort Ross became a state park in 1909. Today the 3,400 acre park offers pristine natural landscapes as well as historic structures and exhibits that bring to life the former Imperial Russian settlement, early California Ranch era, and the Kashia territory. Our visitor center showcases a museum, bookshop, and an 18-minute video introducing the park's history. Some points of interest: Russian Orthodox chapel, replica Russian-style windmill, historic buildings and exhibits, cannons, historic cemetery and orchard, and a San Andreas Fault marker. You can also enjoy Sandy Cove Beach and numerous trails. Activities include hiking, swimming, marine mammal watching, and more.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This place was just awesome. Great to learn the history of the place, Building were fun to explore and being next to the ocean never a bad time.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"fur trade"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Clearly the Russians and the Alaskans knew a good spot when they found one. Great piece of history that most Americans are un aware of. An outpost in California that almost became Russian territory! Check out the awesome wood construction on the buildings. Plus the first wind mill in California. As a bonus we were able to see whales off the coast.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Over 50 years as a native Californian, I've spent many miles (and many dollars) exploring our wonderful State Parks. I know I'm so lucky to be living here, I just LOVE exploring our natural beauty!
So its almost with SADNESS that I have to say we were SO turned off by the Ranger at this park today (Sunday 3/4/2018), I've NEVER encountered such a rude, mean, cold park ranger, EVER!
We are on the road all the time. We often pull into campgrounds and parks we haven't been to before, pull up and ask if we can do a quick drive through, for future reference. We've found many of our favorite places this way, and we've ALWAYS had the nicest rangers, ALWAYS! Some tell us we have to be out in 10-15 minutes but say so nicely, and we understand, they must get a few jerks who are just trying to avoid the park fees. Often, there are no rangers at all and we still do a drive through, we've never parked and cheated the fees, ever.
As we pulled up today, no one was at the entrance booth, there was no "we'll be right back" or "wait here" or any other sign, so we proceeded to drive through. A few yards in, a car came towards us with a woman waving frantically for us to roll down our window, of course we stopped and did so. We were greeted by the red, Scowling, angry face of a woman who looked like she wanted to hit us----no hello, no "can I help you", no greeting at all, she barked at us that we had to pay the fee. We asked if we could just do a quick drive through? Her mean sour-puss face looked as if it was going to EXPLODE! I swear she started rolling up her window and ROLLING HER EYES as she said "5 minutes" and drove off. We were dumbfounded, did that just happen?? We were almost shocked-- and within seconds of driving decided, No Thanks. We left. Immediately.

Ok, is it fair for me to review this park that I barely stepped foot in? In a way, no, I'm sure its a great park...and I'm sure somewhere down the road, we'll be back to explore it. But for now, TODAY, I'm basing my rating on the HORRIBLE attitude and manner of the person working the front gate, the first person we encountered, the mood which it set for us. I can just imagine, I've talked many of our overseas family/visitors to going to many of our best parks; I shudder to think THIS WOMAN setting the tone for what is supposed to be a great visit. She should NOT be working if this is her attitude....she's basically representing our parks and she's giving it an ugly, nasty face.

Yes, we all can have a bad day. And I know, some people are super sticklers for the rules; go ahead and tell me we can't drive through, maybe say it with a smile and explain why? Or just say sorry, we can't let you do this at this time, offer us a brochure or suggest something else? Like I said, ALL the park rangers we deal with are nice people, why wouldn't they be? They get to work in the prettiest areas in the world! This person was beyond that, she looked like she hated us, there was NOTHING even slightly welcoming or helpful about her. You know the expression, "Mean People Suck"?? Well, SHE sucked. MEAN PEOPLE SUCK!!!

1  Thank JaySeaKay
Reviewed 3 March 2018

history, views ... everything but dining ;o). While the War of 1812 was happening on the east coast, the Russian American Company advanced south from Alaska to California. this historic park documents this period plus prior and later area history.

Bonus: great coastal views from the headland & a wonderful beach below.