All reviews the cottages tennis courts hot tub gas fireplace point reyes seashore dog run tomales bay nature trail redwood trees dog towels small kitchen new owners twin beds ceiling fan convenient location lots of natural light osprey's nest
Reviewed 10 October 2017

First of all, a bit about us: we're a family of four who visit Point Reyes pretty regularly (2-3 times a year). Usually we go the home rental route, but a friend recommended Cottages and we decided to give it a try for a quick overnight. It was terrific. Here are a few specifics:

1. The beds are totally comfortable. I will admit that I was a bit uncertain how they would be based on the photos on the website, but they are extremely comfortable, with nice, firm (bit not TOO firm) mattresses and clean, soft sheets. Even our normally fidgety ten-year-old said he had the "best sleep of his life."

2. The rooms are clean. If you are like us, at least one member of your family has a sensitive "ick" radar, that goes off if a hotel room feels even a little but funky. The Cottages are clean, and well-kept.

3. The space is perfect for a family - with a large king-sized bed in the main room and a separate bedroom with two twins, it was the ideal size for our family of four. The small kitchenette allowed us to make dinner and relax in the room.

4. The location is excellent for adventures into the Point Reyes National Seashore or Inverness Village, et al. Hiking trails, beaches, tule elk, kayaking, horseback riding -- they are all a few minutes' drive from your room. And if you are in the mood to go out to dinner (instead of cooking on the stovetop like we did), there are great choices a short drive in the other direction at Inverness, Point Reyes Station and other spots.

5. The on-site amenities are good for families, too. From the pool and hot tub to the tennis courts, the open fields for playing frisbee and the trails to the nearby beaches, the site itself is relaxing and perfect for active kids.

So we are obviously happy with our experience and would absolutely stay here again!

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Tim C
Reviewed 5 October 2017

Though a duplex among several, our room felt very private and nestled in among the trees. A short walk across the street is a beautiful beach with spectacular views of the hills beyond. And of course Pt Reyes offers spectacular walks and hikes The small kitchen area was all we needed to prepare simple meals. Though we were two adults, it seems like the perfect place to bring children, since there is a wide open field, a dog run and even a shed full of games. It was too cool to swim, but I enjoyed a long soak in the hot tub. The owners are friendly and helpful. I'm looking forward to returning.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2017

This is just a great place on a beautiful piece of property. I think a great place for folks who have the right set of expectations.

This is not a 5 star hotel and you aren't going to get a cookie cutter type place that could be anywhere else.

These are really tiny houses with a fairly comfortable bed (perhaps could use better mattresses, but it was fine for me); a mini kitchen (and what you might need to cook simple meals); etc. There is a game hut, a pool, etc. Would have been heaven for my dog, but she didn't go with me. There appeared to be nice walking/hiking trails. The couple running this place were warm and appeared to love their place and were helpful re: the area.

No big problems. But nothing distracting me from loving staying here. Wifi isn't great but I was able to get on and upload some photos. It's understandable in that this is really the middle of nowhere.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 20 August 2017

If you're looking for a 5-star hotel this is not for you but if you're looking for a peaceful setting with private bungalows and great access to Point Reyes and local restaurants (we highly recommend Saltwater) then this place is for you. I especially enjoyed the check-in, I said my name, he said they had my credit card info and handed me a key and pointed me to the cottage. No ID check, or running of the credit card for incidentals, or filling out car license plate info, or other nettlesome details required. It was a bit warm with no air conditioning but opening up the windows and running the fan worked fine. #oldschool

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2017

I'm so glad I found the Cottages. Seeing them online gave me the idea to bring my two Shelties for a mini-vacation in Inverness. The room was great, with a small kitchenette that worked well for making their meals and mine. There's a path in the woods on the property that's ideal for walking my dogs after meals, and it's a short walk to Chicken Ranch Beach, which allows on leash dogs. I loved that there wasn't phone service, though they do have Wi-Fi, so I could get online to text friends and watch Netflix. We walked North Beach and the Kehoe trail and beach, and spent some time in Point Reyes Station (where you can get phone service). I'm looking forward to returning.

Room tip: It seemed to me that any room would be okay. There are 7 dog-friendly rooms.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Andrew H, Owner at Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Thank you for your comments. Your dogs are truly sweet, and a pleasure to have around. We do have very local phone service, and those with Verizon can connect. With more and more smart phones that can make Wifi calls, even cell services are becoming less important. We look forward to your next visit.