“Best restaurant EVER - ANYWHERE!”
Review of Cyrus Restaurant - CLOSED

Cyrus Restaurant
Price range: US$ 50 - US$ 65
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Celebrated our anniversary at lunch on a Saturday afternoon in May. Superb! We've dined in all the major US cities, and this little gem in Sonoma county beats them all. We're not sure which is best - the food, the staff, or the ambiance and decor. First the food: we did the tasting menu and every morsel was exquisite. They know their wines and the pairings were perfect. The staff moved around seamlessly, and professionally, almost like a ballet. There was what seemed to be a 1:1 ratio of guest to server, yet none were ever intrusive. Always there, but somehow invisible. We still cannot figure out how they do it. We dined at Gary Danko in San Francisco the following night, and although phenomenal, we both agreed that Cyrus was the winner, if we were asked to chose. Although certainly a big splurge, put this restaurant on your "bucket list."

Reviewed 12 May 2012

Enjoyed a special occasion meal at Cyrus -- the occasion being both my and my bro'-in-law's birthday. The wives were treating, so the guys went for the 7-course wine and food pairing and the wives (to keep their girlish figures) went for the more diminuative 5-course pairing.
Both the service and food were flawless -- plate-setting reminded me of a ballet (or maybe synchronized swimming).

Quite enjoyable, quite expensive, and quite worth it! (but see my review of Madrona Manor for perspective).

Reviewed 10 May 2012

This was so much fun. So much more than just a restaurant—it was an experience! The service was impeccable. The food was unique and different. And just when you think you are done, the chef is bringing you out things to try...they are rolling out a whole dessert cart for you to pick and choose from...they are bringing you a treat for the next day complete with a personalized menu of everything you ordered that evening...if you are in Healdsburg, you should definitely spend an evening at Cyrus!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

What a great experience! Is it Per Se or French Laundry? Not quit . . . but it is half the price. Cyrus is not inexpensive, however there are great wine finds on the wine list. The 8 courses turned into 12 really quickly. The servers were all very knowledgeable. The captain was interactive, yet not over the top. Bread - six different choices along with two butters and two salts. Great tastes to start before the menus even arrived. We were at Per Se in January and Cyrus in April. Both are great! If you put price into the equation . . . Cyrus gets the nod. Enjoy a great dining experience and ask for the corner booth that is rounded for two.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Our meal started out with 4 hors d'oeuvres. A little puff pastry filled with parmesan cheese, followed by a ball filled with grape puree topped with crystalized ginger, a little spoonful of grapefruit jelly with yuzu, and finally a small serve of dashi. It was a pleasant introduction to our dining journey for the evening! The ball filled with puree was especially unusual and once you popped it in your mouth it burst with tart flavour.

There was an endless supply of fantastic artisan bread. Oh the bread. Now really, bread is just a filler at dinner time, but Cyrus really had some lovely choices. My favourites where the pretzel croissant and the brioche. The bread was accompanied with both fresh cow and goat butter, and salt from Scotland as well as Hawaii (a shame they didn't have any Fleur de Sol).

For my first course, I ordered the chestnut and sherry soup. It had a smooth and creamy consistency, however if I am honest, the flavour was forgettable.

My second course consisted of roasted lobster with cauliflower cream and uni emulsion. The lobster serve was generous and perfectly cooked, and the cauliflower cream was very creamy and smooth with a good balance of flavour. The uni emulsion was slightly sweet, but it was more the novelty of the foam that interested me. I really enjoyed this dish.

For my third course, I enjoyed a little portion of john dory with braised romaine and yuzu butter. Now I'm not a fan of cooked lettuce of any kind, but the braised romaine was actually quite nice. The dory was very fresh and just cooked so it retained its bouncy texture and moisture. The yuzu butter went excellently with the fish - the yuzu flavour there, but not over powering.

My main course consisted of crispy skin chicken thigh with truffled risotto, sauteed celery and parmesan froth. The chicken was not marinated with anything but a light spray of salt, however the punch of the truffled risotto offset that. The parmesan froth was true in flavour and I enjoyed the texture of the froth with the chicken. However if I am honest, I preferred the lobster dish to this one.

For dessert I was served a flat plate with a glass of vanilla bean fontainebleau - a lightly sweet cream cheese, which was topped with apple ice. The ice had the natural sweetness of the apple, however retained some tartness. To the side of the glass was a little concave filled with sauteed apples and farina fritters (little dough fritters) - the dish was very enjoyable.

Not part of the menu, but part of the service, we finally was served a selection of petit fours. We were also given a little pastry to take home with us.

Considering the price you are paying, I believe we were served well and overall we enjoyed our dishes. I was happy with our dining experience and will recommend it to friends.

One negative is that the tables are too close for my liking - I do not like being able to hear the next table's conversation. I expect better in a 2 star michelin restaurant.