“Special Birthday” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
santa barbara,ca.
“Special Birthday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We were driving to Sonoma for a wedding, and had to travel a long way on my birthday. I wanted to stay somewhere different and special, so I booked a room here, knowing that it looked perfect!
I couldn't have chosen a better place. I felt excited and happy as soon as I saw it, amidst the redwoods. Just a spectacular setting, and the grounds were impeccable, as well.
We were cheerfully greeted by Ted, who escorted us to our cottage, and I felt like Queen for a Day. He was charming and helpful, and made us feel very comfortable and welcome.
We just loved the cottage. It was absolutely immaculate and everything was comfortable and worked. The bathtub was great, big fluffy white towels, dreamy bed, a place to sit outside and have our coffee. We drank cold beer and watched the Olympics as a way to celebrate my birthday, and it was one of the nicest birthdays I've ever had. Simple perfection.

We really hated to leave the next day, but we were well rested and refreshed, and ready to continue the celebration. I am already wondering when we might be able to get back to Guerneville. Thank you, Ted!

Room Tip: We were in Cottage 10 and it couldn't have been better.
1 Thank atmo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Nothing but great things to say about our stay here. When we were checking in the friendly staff (Dee Ann and I forget the other ladies name) took the time to ensure our room would be big enough to accommodate our family. Our kids are fairly young and they bunk on a mattress on the floor (they enjoy the we’re sleeping on the floor idea when traveling) so when we booked we reserved a studio. The ladies were concerned it wouldn’t be big enough. Since they were all booked up they gave us the biggest studio they had and it worked out perfectly.

The room was clean and airy. We could open the front door and have nice view of the common area. A table and chairs were provided on the little patio area. The common areas were clean and well maintained. The kids loved the pool and we enjoyed lounging around on the deck chairs. At night they did smores and we joined them on the first night we were there, again great service for their guests. It was a close drive to the town to get something to eat and drink or to play in the Russian River.

At check out, I met the owner and we made reservations for July 2013. Needless to say we’ll be back!

WHITEHORSE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

If you are looking for a place that lacks pretence but offers a clean and tranquil environment this is definitely for you. We loved the large cottage that had two bedrooms allowing kids to relax and parents to have some privacy. The evening campfire and smokes were great and gave us a chance to talk to others travelling the 101. Guerneville has a number of really great places to eat at fantastic prices so staying here was the perfect place for us - if you want high end food and accommodation you are not going to find much here but if you want good value for money with nice, respectful people then this will really fit the bill. The service was excellent with staff always offering a friendly smile and advice when you ask. The pool is very clean and my kids really enjoyed there afternoon swim as a break from the heat. You can hear noise off the road but it's no big deal - this is not a wilderness cabin after all. The grounds are kept spotless and the landscaping is beautiful. This represents great value for money - we'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the cottages that is further from the road.
1 Thank fruitio
Bay Area, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

If only there was no road noise, I would consider this place close-to-perfect!
Beautiful grounds, adorable and clean cottage, welcoming staff and situated close by to wineries, Armstrong Redwoods and the river.
We booked the “Garden Cottage” (#7) which had 2 bedrooms, a small kitchenette (mini fridge, microwave, sink and coffee pot) a bathroom off the kitchen (I guess some of the 2 bedrooms have the bathroom off one of the bedrooms), a nice sized family room with a flat screen TV and a little porch overlooking the gardens and lawn. The furniture all looked new and the décor was very cute.
We paid a AAA rate and were satisfied with the cost. Thursday and Friday averaged ~$200 per night.
The only issue with the cottage is that they don’t have double-pained windows! The cottages are very close to the main road through Guerneville and the road is noisy from about 6 am to 10 pm. I highly recommend they get double-pained windows because I noticed many people on Trip Advisor complained of the road noise.
Breakfast was great: Fresh Bagels, Fresh Apple Turnovers, fruit, yogurt, hot cocoa and coffee. S'mores were also fantastic at night! I was shocked to find out that they charge $20 a night to use their BBQ even though they do supply you with all the tools. Luckily, they said I could use my own mini-BBQ.
I do wish there was a beach closer to Cottages on RR, but it’s a short drive to Johnson’s Beach. Across the street from the hotel, there is a great Brewery/Restaurant called Stumptown. It looks beat-up from the outside, but once you get in, you realize they have lovely views of the river. Too bad there is a drop from the grass to the river, so I don’t think you could easily access the river from there.
There are so many wineries within 20 minutes of the hotel. Also, Armstong Redwoods is only about 10 minutes away and it’s a beautiful area to walk around.
I would stay here again if I came back to Russian River.

Room Tip: Cottage # 7 was 2 bedrooms and I believe it had one of the most ideal locations.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Shmalyson
Sacramento
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights mid week in July. Everything about the place was great. The room was very clean and very cute. Not the best or worst bed. The grounds are very pretty. We were in cabin 5 a studio away from the road and we had a shared deck. The pool looked nice but we went to the river. Stumptown Brewery in walking distance (even after too many beers). Drive to the Johnson's beach and downtown. The only bad thing is that you have to rent the BBQ for $25 per night. The people working there were very nice and the breakfast was nice (bagels, banana's, yogurt and coffee). Great place for a family or couples. The free s"mores were super good too. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: cabins away from the road seem to be quieter. 1 - 10 - i think.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guerneville
9.1 km away
1.9 km away
Applewood Inn
Applewood Inn
#3 of 13 in Guerneville

Been to Cottages on River Road? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK