Fern Grove Cottages(Guerneville)
Sonoma Orchid Inn(Guerneville)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe cottagesfire pitcontinental breakfastbagelsevening campfiremake smorespet areabedroom cottagecream cheesewine glassesnice breakfastmini fridgebusy roadaway from the roadboiled eggswine countryshort drive
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Once you enter through one of the gates, this sweet little oasis is oh so welcoming. I am in one of the larger, 2 bedroom cottages. Spotless and very nice. Super comfy bed. Massive flat screen t.v., microwave, fridge. Beautiful gardens. Nice large outside front porch. I can't find a single flaw! DeeAnn is very welcoming. I could live here!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We were excited after reading reviews of this property on Tripadvisor. We weren't disappointed. The staff is very eager to help and are proud of their property.

We arrived very late and very tired. But, we were greeted with a smile and were efficiently checked in a escorted to our cabin. The room was small, but well appointed. There are not closets so be prepared to find a place to hang anything you don't want wrinkled. There is no ice machine available, so if you use ice, grab some at the store just down the street for your in-room mini fridge. The room was clean and decorated in a very simple rustic country style, very soothing.

The grounds are lovely and well worth exploring. The pool looked inviting, but we never had time to enjoy it. S'Mores by the fire in the evening sounded great, but the night we were there to attend was pretty well taken over by three familys with multiple children so there wasn't really room for us and it was a bit boistrous for our style.

We would recommend a stay at this property and we will consider it for our next visit.

Room Tip: Cabins are small so be prepared for tight quarters.
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We loved our stay at the Cottages! The proprietors were all very nice and helpful. The "cottage" was clean, modern and comfortable. We even went to the evening campfire and had s'mores! Only the noise from the road (no one at the cottages' fault) kept me from giving it an Excellent, and that quiets down in the evening.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

I never write reviews. One simple reason – I’ve never cared enough to. But alas, a beautiful town hidden away by majestic trees (think Twilight…..no really…think Twilight and the soft lighting effects those smart techies created around those trees) and rushing rapids (homeward bound anyone?) has managed to get these fingers typing to share with the world an opinion I feel the world MUST HEAR.

To preface this review: I’m a city girl through and through….it’s hard to let my mind stop its incessant overdrive focused on banalities such as…my job and meager existence, for instance and breathe for a second to appreciate my surroundings. I hope this gives you an idea of Guerneville and Cottages on River Road’s effects on me.

Before even heading to our inn (which we had chosen because there was not a single bad review – nay, not a single mediocre review; each was a glowing commendation of the innkeepers and all that Guerneville had to offer), we decided to go for a canoe ride. Once we got going, I swear it was like being a child again through the eyes of Pocahontas when she’s singing about…I’m assuming… nature. Every turn and bend had an even more majestic and awe-inspiring view. I just stopped rowing. I mean…one could sit there for hours just soaking in the smells, the sounds, the views, the feel of something far more beautiful than man could ever hope to create. The best part of this was, while there were definitely other tourists around, there was just enough privacy to feel like it was just you in a perfect bubble of nature’s little secret – a hidden gem, quite undiscovered by the majority of the world.

The same could be said of our inn (except….this place is blowing UP on trip advisor and I’m about to add ammo to that). Our stay at the Cottages on River Road turned out to be a delight! When you walk in, you immediately feel at ease (the scent of lavender drifting through the air really does have a relaxing effect), and once you’re through the main entrance you see rows of adorable cottages surrounding a GORGEOUS garden. I’m no expert but I can appreciate the talent and care it takes to cultivate a garden to look as natural and wildly perfect as theirs.

That kind of talent and care could be found in every minor and major detail of this inn. Our rooms were spotless with a modern décor, yet homey with a sense of rustic, country-like finish. The inn, square feet/acre/whatever measurement you prefer, is by no means small but there is a definite sense of coziness, attributable not only to design but also the ambience created by the ever accommodating, friendly, and helpful innkeepers.

THE BEST PART –-they have a S’MORES pit going in the garden every night. Every night!! Needless to stay, ecstatic does not suffice as a word to describe our feeling. It was the perfect way to end the night. Cottages on River Road offers all the fine amenities one prefers as an adult but also all the joys one wishes to rekindle from childhood memories.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2011

The room was spacious, quiet, and well-equipped, the property was quaint and well tended, the s'mores were awesome! It was just very easy to relax and enjoy our time here. Very family and pet-friendly. (One couple had a dog, and kids from the other various families had a grand time throwing a ball for her.) The rooms are either stand-alone cottages or attached to one other room in a cottage. We were in one that was attached to another room, but never had a problem with noise. Ted is attentive and ready to give local recommendations. He runs a great, comfortable place!