“Just spectacular!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Palm Springs, California, United States
“Just spectacular!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I was looking for the consumate wine country experience, and here it is. Innkeepers could not have been nicer or more accommodating. Great room and a simply unbelievable breakfast. This was first class all the way.

The restaurant is very nice in so many ways. Decor is a bit plain, service was first class, and the food was wonderfully special. Pricey, but as a special occasion, it was so perfect.

I can't believe we found such a unique and quality establishment. Compared to our typical workaholic life, this was such a divine experience!

Room Tip: Talk to the Innkeeper, they upgraded ours because it was available. But even the basic room should...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Santa Rosa, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

I went here this weekend for an overnight and I can't say enough good things about it. We were greeted with champagne and a very warm welcome by the staff. The room was darling and "homey" and was lovely to be in. The grounds are gorgeous in the midst of all these beautiful redwood trees and blossoming trees and fountains.

The dinner was the best I have ever had- out of anywhere I have ever been to in the Sonoma County area. It was absolutely to die for and the whole experience was nice because it was "high end" but without the pretentious guests or staff.

Owners are so sweet and happy to give you personal recommendations for wineries to visit in the area!

Highly recommend the Applewood Inn!

Room Tip: Stayed in the Chianti and it was really nice. Quaint. Had a fireplace and a little patio in the fron...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Orange County
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I was in Sonoma for the 1st week of March barrel wine tasting. I brought a group of us up and we stayed at the Applewood Inn. I had previously made my reservations with Sylvia, whom I later found out was one of the owners of the property. We checked in that Friday with Elizabeth. What a wonderful and warm person. Just awesome! She showed me the room and what I found was a nicely decorated room with one of the best beds I have ever slept in. There were plenty of towels, a beautiful down comforter and soaps/shampoos. Since part of my group had not gotten in, I met up with other friends and went wine barrel tasting for the afternoon. We got back around 4:45pm and fortunately Elizabeth had told me what rooms my friends were staying in. As I went past their rooms I called out to them. Apparently I must of called out too loudly as Sylvia scolded me for being too loud! It could have ruined the weekend for me as I was fuming but I decided not to let it. Please be aware that you can’t be social in the room bldg since other people are there. So if you are looking for a place that you can socialize with you friends, this is not the place. This is a more sanctuary atmosphere, almost church like.
We also ate at the Applewood Inn Restaurant both the dinner and breakfast. We absolutely loved the breakfasts and the pleasant waiter, Louis. He was great and so genuine. The dinner servers were different, very perfunctory. They only talked to you if you talked to them. The dinner was fine; my meal was nothing to write home about. I had the special fixed price dinner which was a piece of sea bass floating in a crab mixture. It was Luke warm and not very tasty. The beets that I had first were absolutely delicious. Others in my group had the lamb and other dishes and seemed quite pleased. The desserts were delicious. All in all, it was a nice evening. Bottom line, it is a nice place to stay but please be aware of some of the owner’s idiosyncrasies. There is always Boon Hotel and other places to stay in Guerneville.

Room Tip: Be aware that the bottom floor rooms can hear creakiness of the floor above
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank CAEastBayDude
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Lovely stay here. The inn is in a beautiful area, surrounded by trees, quiet and romantic. The restaurant on the grounds is fabulous - try the Chef's 5-course menu - I don't eat meat but the chef were very accommodating to substitute meat with seafood dishes. Everything was SUPERB!! Room was very nice, I recommend picking yours out online to tailor your taste (they are all decorate differently). The rooms are super cozy, come with a fireplace which is much needed in this time of year. Definitely get a massage while you are here, it's the perfect way to end your stay before leaving the retreat.

Room Tip: Go on the web site and check out the decor that meets your style.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Erica J
Truckee, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

If I had to summarize my stay at Applewood in one sentence, I'd say the following: 'Lovely stay, quaint & charming Inn, nice location; however, I would not likely stay again until there is a bit of updating'.
We stayed in Room 16/Siena. It was a top-floor room, not facing the road so it was quiet (which I'd requested & appreciated, being a light sleeper). The room had a queen bed & double shower head, private terrace with a table & chair (it was raining, however, so outdoor dining wasn't an option), Vizio flat screen TV & gas fireplace; all good stuff. However, the decor is just.... dated, like 1980's dated. The walls are a peachy mauve & there was a peachy, mint-green floral, tired-feeling bedspread & the bed jiggled a lot (not in a good way :) & was lumpy. There are partial-brass fixtures in the bathroom & these kind of cheesy "shell" plastic soap holders in the shower. NOTHING was wrong with the room, it just felt older which made it feel a little cheaper.
I'd suggest they paint the walls a soft white since they have all dark-wood accents & that would give it in more of a true Tuscan look/feel & put thick down comforters with neutral duvets on. Upgrade the bathroom fixtures to a brushed silver - available at Home Depot - just refresh the look & I bet it would be feel more sumptuous to the visitor.
Anyhow, more good stuff: Applewood Inn is in a superb location; central Russian River Valley & within 10 minutes of some of the BEST wineries (we went to Sonoma-Cutrer & Deloach, but Chalk Hill & Rodney Strong are close by as are hosts of other excellent wineries). We took the long way home & visited Healdsburg & Calistoga via these gorgeous back roads. Worth the extra drive-time & the easiest way to continue the wine-tasting fun!
The service is great. Front desk gal was tremendously helpful & walked us to our room, a nice touch. I met Syliva briefly & she, also, was warm & courteous.
We went to the Applewood Inn Restaurant for dinner & this is NOT to be missed-- I repeat, NOT to be missed. It ranks in the Top 10 BEST dinners my husband & I have ever had (we chose the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings & we'd highly recommend this). Applewood Inn's Restaurant deserves every star & accolade it has received.
Finally, we did a couple's massage & my rub down was quite mediocre (Phil) & my husband's was very good (Sandra?). Phil had some bizarre technique of putting a finger somewhere in my back (not a muscle) & jiggling the massage table. Huh?? Perhaps it was just me, but I didn't care for his style.
Applewood Inn has a great location, phenomenal food, wonderful staff; the only small item missing is up-to-date decor, which certainly is not a deal-breaker.

Room Tip: Call & speak to Sylvia & explain what you hope for (quiet room, tub, whatever) & she'...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nicole R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guerneville
9.3 km away
1.2 km away
West Sonoma Inn & Spa
West Sonoma Inn & Spa
#7 of 13 in Guerneville

Been to Applewood Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK