See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 January 2015

My wife's family and myself stayed in three rooms at the hotel in mid January. Our room smelled really bad. Everything else was average at best. The worst part is that they were filming a movie while we stayed there, and it was impossible to sleep until about 2:00am. After they stopped filming, trucks were running around loading stuff. Constant loud beeping from trucks backing up kept us awake. We couldn't park in the lot because of the filming, so we were asked to park on the street in a questionable neighborhood. While it was sort of cool they were filming there, I wish that management would have advised us of the activities they had planned. We would have stayed elsewhere and gotten some sleep. Good internet though.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank BigToe S
Reviewed 31 December 2014 via mobile

The Capri looks bad from outside, rooms and cleaness is fine though. Ask the reception for a discount at the best breakfast place in Glendale, Foxys Diner. The guys at reception are okay if you ask them nicely... They have not taken a course in service or politeness.

• Stayed: December 2014
1  Thank MrPete67
Reviewed 8 October 2014

we were in Glendale because my elderly uncle was dying. it was very close to his home so we went for it. the sheets were stained or dirty. we requested clean sheets and they were brought to us. the restaurant next door served a good breakfast but weak coffee

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gatito4bsz
Reviewed 30 August 2014

This hotel rates fairly well on TripAdvisor. Probably because there are a lot of positive reviews mostly siting closeness to tourist attractions, cleanliness, and great value for your money. With some caveats, it is all these things but I hope my review will give you some context before you decide to stay there.

We needed to spend a couple weeks in Glendale settling our son at a local college and taking a vacation at the same time. We stayed at the Glen Capri based on the mostly positive reviews in TripAdvisor. If you are familiar with and are comfortable with a Holiday Inn or even a Motel 6, this hotel may not be the place for you. If you are from Canada, it may be a culture shock to stay there. We arrived to check-in to find the counter with a protective glass between us and the attendant. You must pass keys and credit cards through a small slot in the counter. I live in a big city in Canada and still found this to be a little unnerving. I am not trying to make a statement about America vs. Canada and certainly do not mean to offend anyone. I am just telling you our profile so that if you identify with it, you can make the best decision for you.

We booked two rooms for our stay - one for my wife and I, and one for our son. As soon as we opened the door to room 202, we were directly hit with a strong, unpleasant, ammonia like smell. If you are sensitive to perfumes and odors, you would not be able to stay here. We checked on our second room (201) and it was more acceptable. I tried to get our room switched but talking through the protective glass trying to explain the situation to the attendant was challenging. However, I did end up learning the hotel was fully booked and there were no other rooms available.

Being August, the weather was hot and the air conditioning unit in 202 did not function well. Some slightly cool air flowed but it was not enough to keep us cool and comfortable. I think it needs replacing. The air conditioning unit in 201 was newer and worked well. Maid service the next day was poor. They did not replenish the toilet paper or replace the sheets and I had to deal with the attendant behind the protective glass again. However, the next day the maid service was much better. We got toilet paper and the sheets were changed.

In summary, this was not the hotel for us but it seems popular with a lot of people on TripAdvisor. Although the maid service is inconsistent and some rooms may have a strong smell, the rooms were reasonably clean. The hotel could be a good base to visit Hollywood, Los Angeles County Museum of Art (where La Brea tar pits are), The Huntington Gallery and Library, Griffith Observatory, Universal Studios, and the LA Dodgers. At $71 per room a night (single double bed), it may be a good price point for some as hotels in Glendale seem to be more pricier than other areas. Oh, the Wi Fi was very good and free.

One interesting place across the Glen Capri parking lot is the Corner Bistro Cafe. It is a hookah cafe which becomes quite lively at night as a place for people to socialize, play cards, and smoke hookah. The people and waiting staff are friendly and welcoming. My wife and I ate breakfast and dinner there a few times and also had some beers while enjoying the interesting atmosphere. The waitress told us hookah is flavored tobacco but it was not offensive to non-smokers like us even though people were smoking near us. It is not like cigarette smoke.

After our 3 night stay, we moved on to another hotel....

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 202. Room 201 seemed okay.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank ba6x
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Arrived at midnight with my gf to what we thought was a safe area. We were given room 203, it was basic but acceptable. As we entered we could here violent screaming from a women next door. My girlfriend and I were extremely concerned for the women next door and out safety. We checked out immediately (within 10min) and reported the incident to the onsite manager and police. The next day we called for a refund through the company we booked the hotel through. They spoke with the manager of the hotel who denied any complaints were made. I phoned the manager directly who denied all claims I made to him in person the night before and hung up on me denial all interactions. He also lied to the booking agency! Extremely poor management

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family