“Very good food, interesting ambiance, healthy”

Rutabegorz Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 419 Restaurants in Fullerton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 3 March 2018

We went to this place when shopping in downtown Fullerton. I had the bigger cobb salad and it was excellent. The service was good, the place is decorated in an interesting manner and the price was reasonable.

Reviewed 28 February 2018

I think this would be considered a cool place for hipsters. It seems like you have to have piercings or be tattooed to work there. Everybody that I saw has this art house/hipster vibe to them. Being older I couldn't relate. I just went to get some good food, not to be unimpressed with their unconventionality.

One thing that Rutabegorz has is amazing food. Their salads are beyond good. They are stratospheres better than Soup Plantation. I always order an extra salad dressing, something different, so I can enjoy a different taste texture with my food. They have some great ones. The one I like the most is this Thai based sauce that I could probably drink if it came in a bottle. Super good.

Rutabegorz also has some amazing entrees. I've had most of the menu and can honestly say that I don't think they know how to make a bad dish. It's gotten a bit more expensive, but so far not to cause a tipping point not to go.

There are four of these restaurants I believe, and the Fullerton one tends to be my favorite, with the one by the Orange Circle a close second.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

We had lunch on a Tuesday in February. This was the second time we had eaten at this restaurant, the first having been at their Orange location, and our opinion then was reinforced by this visit.

We started with the 48-cent appetizer, chips with a jalapeno cream cheese spread. The chips were nicely crispy, not over oily or salty and the spread was delicious, without too much heat.

My partner ordered the veggie lasagna, which proved to be lasagna noodles with marinara sauce, a small amount of ricotta cheese, topped with cheese and baked, then broiled. There were no veggies. The flavor was bland and the portion was medium small.

I ordered the Mexican casserole, which proved to be a bowl of rice topped with slightly cooked chunks of zucchini, raw bits of purple onion, topped with cheese, broiled and then topped with chopped tomato. They served A pureed salsa on the side with two hot whole wheat tortillas. It arrived as a sloppy mess, overflowing with water, so much so that the waiter spilled about 2-3 tablespoons off the edge of the bowl in serving it but did not try to wipe up the overflow off the table. It was very bland, certainly not owing any heritage to Mexico. I had to use a spoon to get all the water out of the dish.

For this, the total bill was $27.00

A comment about their menu. It is a small booklet, running to about 26 pages. As I commented in my review of their Orange location, any restaurant featuring so many items would be extremely challenged to turn out quality food given their ambitious range of offerings. This kitchen was not up to such a task.

Overall, the food we received was mediocre at best. We cannot recommend this restaurant. Since we were of the same opinion about their Orange location, it defies understanding how they stay in business.

1  Thank Rexflash
Reviewed 22 January 2018

Meals are healthy. My favorite are the salads. The portions are large. All of the items I have tried have been tasty. Another favorite is the chicken Caesar wrap. After a healthy meal you can try one of their great cookies. Service is good.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Rutabegorz provides wonderfully creative, healthy dishes and all the ingredients are always fresh and served in large portions. I've never had anything there since it opened that I didn't like and enjoyed many lunches, dinners and events there.
The atmosphere is eclectic, fun and provides a wonderfully cozy and fun place to be while enjoying their fabulous food and beverages.
Definitely a thumbs up and proud to have one in the town I live in.