“Great stay at the Grey Whale Inn, Fort Bragg” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grey Whale Inn

Grey Whale Inn
Ranked #7 of 13 Fort Bragg B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Great stay at the Grey Whale Inn, Fort Bragg”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

This is my second time back and this will always be the place I come back to when I stay in Fort Bragg. As a student of the Living Light Culinary School - it has been so perfect for me. I love it here so much because it feels like home away from home. The first time I stayed 5 weeks and this time only 10 days. Each room is totally different and special in it's own way. Last time i had a fabulous spacious room with a view to the skunk train. This time, I had a lovely ocean view from my room. My time here has always been special. The community is wonderful , and so is the owner. He is always friendly, helpful and concerned with making your stay as comfortable as possible. The Inn has a lot of character. It is a quirky, funky, "different", full-of-character, old building which used to be a hospital. If you are looking for luxury and new - this will not be the place for you! You must be the type of person who can appreciate the old and eccentric features of this Inn and to be open to meeting some amazing people as you pass through! As a Living Light student i was really able to appreciate the fact that Mike (the owner) has set up a rawfood kitchen upstairs for those of us that don't eat meat and who would like to prepare their own food. I also love the fact that i was able to go into his organic garden, pick what i wanted and prepare myself a juice or a salad whenever i wanted... or to sit in the middle of it on a chair and just appreciate the wild garden all around me. I was always excited to come back to the Inn after class, and was always comfortable. The kind of people that it attracts to also live and stay there (in general) is really unique and special and I have met many wonderful people who have since become friends. I would recommend the Inn to anyone who wants to have a relaxing vacation, and who does not need the luxuries of a fancy, new, spick and span up scale hotel. I would suggest that anyone who is planning to be a student at the Living Light Institute to stay here. It is only 2 blocks from the school and 2 blocks to the ocean. Just perfect!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pipcheza
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Jose, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in mid-August. We were very disappointed. Upon arrival, we found the outside of the "inn" extremely unkept... plants totally overgrown, weeds everywhere. We'd traveled all day, we were exausted,so decided to go inside and give it a try. Huge mistake. Our disappointment continued. The room was VERY overpriced, no heating in the rooms and the windows are very drafty and don't close all the way. The carpets are old and smell awful and the paint around the windows is old and peeling. The owner was very unfriendly and not helpful at all. We had a tiny television (maybe 12 inches) in the room and got very fuzzy, static reception. The breakfast was basically cold granola, fruit and toast. There were a few poached eggs and juice, but you served yourself and catered your own table. Although the "staff" (husband and wife) came in several times, no one spoke. I would never stay here again and would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank philtim7881
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the "Grey Whale". Our room was quiet, comfortable and spacious! The Inn has so much character! Sweet Pea, the resident feline, kept us company in the evening while playing pool and relaxing in our room. We cannot wait to visit again soon. We loved being within walking distance to Glass Beach. the shops, restaurants etc.
The "Grey Whale Innkeeper" was very gracious!

• Stayed June 2010
Sonora, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

I've been to Fort Bragg before and love the town, but this was the first time I've stayed at the Grey Whale. What a very cool place it is!! Its history as a former hospital gives it a lot of character. It was a quiet night and we were the only guests, so we kind of toured the place informally and looked into some of the vacant rooms. All of them were very spacious and had their own individual personalities. The innkeeper, Michael, was extremely considerate and accommodating and made us one of the best breakfasts I've ever had at a B&B. Simple and delicious, flavored with herbs fresh from the garden. I'll definitely stay there on my next Fort Bragg trip and will recommend the place to all of my friends for their next coastal vacation!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Clayton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

I drove through town trying to decide where to stay, it is warm weekend and palces were pretty full and pricey. I stumble onto this driving by, not much to look at from outside but walking distance to town shops/restaurants, so stopped on side of road and called, What a delightful Innkeeper, said he had just the rooom for me /with private bath, at reasonalbe price (less than $100) on Sat evening and include sbreakfast. They have common rooms to sit and read or relax It was so nice, clean and awesome atmosphere and the others there were a delight and longtime return guest. I WILL BE NOW TOO.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo