“Questionable in many regards”
Review of Farmhouse Inn

Farmhouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Forestville
Reviewed 17 October 2017

It all started with me trying to make a reservation via their local phone number. I was in a bind to find housing as I just returned from Europe to Santa Rosa on the first day the wildfires ravaged through the Santa Rosa area. I was surprised to find my house in the mandatory evacuation zone. So, helas, I had to look for a room for the night. I was in kind of a hurry as the curfew set in at 6:45pm. The lady who answered the call said she did not know about availability, but promised to call back. About 30-45 minutes later, not having received a call back, I called again. This time the 800 number. Low and behold the same lady answered. She sad that I was second in line and that the would call me back right away. I waited for about an other 20 minutes. No call back. So, I decided to book on line. I got through and received a confirmation number. When I checked in I was told where to find my room. Nobody was there to take me and my possessions to the room which was confusing to find. The door to the room was the same as to the restaurant which happened to be closed. Go figure. I had to go back to the reception, only to receive the same information again. The lady finally opened the locked up door to the restaurant and to my room for me. The next morning the restaurant was open (I could tell from above that something loud was moving). I decided to have breakfast only to receive a breakfast bill at check-out for over $ 40.00. I had breakfast by myself. This is the last I heard from the place. I think the also sent me an automatic satisfaction survey which I decided to give on this platform instead. I am sure there will be all kinds of excuses. Just know that the next day as I checked, out of curiosity for an available room, the on-line price had already gone up by close to 10% even though upon check-out I was assured that there was enough availability for the upcoming night. Is this price gouging? Should I have reported this incident to the D.A.? I am sure they'll have an answer. Better to stay away from this place.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
MeilaniN, Manager at Farmhouse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear BSH California,

We are very disheartened by your post. One of the owners is reaching out – we would like every much to discuss this post. Tuesday night was a very hard night for many due to the devastation caused by the wildfires in the state of California– we had close to a full house and we were very short staffed as several of our employees had lost their homes or were also evacuated. We were trying to manage our limited inventory with people deciding to depart early, people canceling and also the need of housing some of the team who had no other place to go.

We obviously regret that you feel like we didn’t care for you. We know that this was not the easiest night all the way around but I assure you Farmhouse did not price gouge – we are a family business that had been in Forestville for 5 generations. Our families, friends, employees and community were under crisis and we tried to act as best we could under the circumstances and admittedly we are sure it was not perfect.

We prefer to have you speak to us in person rather than address all of the detail you laid out. I do want to address the pricing and breakfast charges. Tuesday night we had no internet and the reason we had a problem with availability as our property management system is web based so we had to manually track who was in house and who was out. You booked on Expedia that we couldn’t actually see at the hotel with no internet nor know that the reservations was made. Someone off property accessed the systems and advised the front desk at the last minute of your reservation. You booked the mid-week rate. We offered breakfast as a complimentary added amenity to your stay at arrival. The credit is for breakfast (food & beverage), that does not include tax and tip and that is what you were charged for $9.47. As far as the rates changing – our pricing has been the same and has not changed so I am not able to address what that was.

We all extend our sincere apologies for any added stress. We send our thoughts and wishes that you and yours are now safe and sound.

Farmhouse Inn

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

My wife and I decided to take a trip to Sonoma for our 25th wedding anniversary, and decided to splurge a little. I can't say more about the Farmhouse Inn, they were fantastic and accommodating. We worked in advance with the staff to develop an itinerary for wine tasting at 6 or 7 wineries over 4 days. They called and made appointments for us, and even got the tasting fee waived at a few of them, or an included cheese tray to go with our tastings. The nightly (4:30pm) onsite free tastings were a nice unexpected surprise, we even ended up buying a few bottles from places we would never have even heard of if it hadn't been for that. This was a trip to remember, and Farmhouse Inn was a big part of it. Great rooms, massive space. Amazing dry saunas in the Cottages, and a fantastic steam shower in the suites (we moved from a cottage to a suite the 2nd night). Love the indoor/outdoor fireplace and relaxing outside with a glass of wine in front of the fire, both at our site and by the pool (they even have 'smores kits!).

Room Tip: suites further back in the property are much quieter. We stayed in room 25.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Farmhouse Guest... S, Manager at Farmhouse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Hello David,
We sure enjoyed having you and your wife with us for such a special occasion. Again, Happy Anniversary! It was a pleasure meeting you and getting to know you a bit during our wine hour. We hope that you will return often as you now realize the beauty of Sonoma County; so much to do and see (and taste...). Let us know when you might be returning as we'd love the opportunity to welcome you back.

Keep in touch-

Reviewed 29 September 2017

The rooms were amazing. The staff was attentive to all our needs and more.
The grounds were breathtaking and we couldn't of asked for more.
I highly recomend using their concierge services for unique adventures, restuarants and
tours.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Lynne,
Thank you for your kind words! We appreciate you staying with us here at the Farmhouse Inn and are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. We've shared your comments with our team and congratulated our grounds and concierge staff on a job well done; thank you! We sincerely hope that you might make your "Trip of a Lifetime" a more regular occasion. We'll hope to see you back again soon.

Best,

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Situated in rural Sonoma with farmland surrounding property. Tranquil surroundings with lush country gardens and fountains. Centrally located with short drive to quaint villages, wineries and the coast. Stayed in newer suite that was relaxed and charming. Misses in room were small (dorm-sized) refrigerator in room, tiny coffee maker, open closet to living space and very loud blower to HVAC in hallway outside entrance door. Agree with other reviews that there should be dedicated pool service in a property at this price point. While the restaurant is lovely and special, there is no bar or cocktail lounge. The spa is equally great but no gym. Staff and concierge were all accommodating although would have enjoyed at checkin a welcoming tour of property and explanation of services offered. Most of these comments would have been overlooked, but at a price point of over $1,000 per night, the expectations are equally elevated.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Farmhouse Guest... S, Manager at Farmhouse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Dear Leisureboy,

Thank you for your recent stay with us! We appreciate you taking the time to offer such constructive feedback.
As we continue to look for ways to provide our guests an unparalleled wine country experience, your welcomed suggestions are being considered.
We just received a custom built food truck that will open shortly with dedicated food service for our pool and eventually enhance our in room dining options. There are plans this winter to redesign some space to allow a small work out facility and multi-use indoor public space perfect for wine tasting, board games on a rainy day or even a small business meeting.
We sincerely hope that you will keep in touch and return one day soon to see your suggestions come to fruition.

With gratitude,

Reviewed 2 September 2017

Last year, I rewarded myself for a trudging through a year-long work project in the middle of Ohio by taking a mini-vacation to Wine Country. For 5 days I meandered through Napa and Sonoma with no agenda; on the 2nd day I discovered The Farmhouse Inn on Tripadvisor and once I was there...I never wanted to leave! My standouts:
- Impeccably appointed without being pretentious, with beautiful, zenlike ambiance
- Lovely setting: carefully raked paths and lush landscaping
- Great selection of wines in the minibar (in case you haven't yet exhausted your budget in the tasting rooms!)
- Genuinely friendly staff with whom I had some great, in-depth conversations about careers, sustainable agriculture, and art
- Upon checkin, I was offered a selection of handmade bath salts - how fun is that!
- Great breakfast in the restaurant, and very sweet about making a yummy, all-veg meal for me
- Beautiful spa

Room Tip: King Deluxe has an indoor/outdoor fireplace and gorgeous deck
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Farmhouse Guest... S, Manager at Farmhouse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Thank you BerksterCA!

What an incredible review you have shared; music to our ears! We appreciate you making the Farmhouse Inn part of your well deserved Wine Country mini-vacation. Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Our aim is for your delight! It appears that on this occasion we have succeeded!

Now that you've found us, we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Farmhouse Inn again one day. Thank you!

With gratitude,
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Forestville
14.5 km away
Fountaingrove Inn
#4 of 24 in Santa Rosa
13.6 km away
Hotel Les Mars, Relais & Chateaux

Been to Farmhouse Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK