“Poor Service”

On the Border
Ranked #34 of 298 Restaurants in Elk Grove
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Food is decent but very heavy and service sucks. My husband and I came here for our date night because 1) there was no wait on a Saturday evening (now I know why) and 2) it used to be a favorite of ours back in High School so we have lots of memories here (I remember it being a lot better back then...10+ years ago).

First of all, I hate when waiters/waitresses pressure me to buy an overpriced drink. It happens all the time and it's annoying. I rarely drink soda or any of those other high sugar drinks and would rather wash down all this greasy food with water. Stop asking me if I'm sure I don't want anything else to drink... I'm pretty darn sure!

We decided to take advantage of the free cup of queso with our yelp check-in. When I ordered the queso, I showed the waitress the yelp deal so she knew about it. When the bill came, we were charged for the queso. I politely asked her to remove it and gave her cash to cover our bill. She comes back with change but it's for what I would have gotten back if I paid for the queso. I again politely asked her to remove the queso. She finally figures it out and gives me the rest of my change.

The queso was pretty good or we were really hungry. We got full off the queso so we didn't really eat much of our entrees, which is probably a good thing.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 31 October 2017

Some Mexican food chains are routine in their food tastes, but On the Border is well above those types. With a comfortable fall temperature, my wife and I ate outdoors for a late lunch, and found it was near-perfect for both a setting and for the food. My wife has a very good Spinach & Mushroom Quesadilla, while I had a superb Chile Relleno combo plus a cup of Queso. Margaritas were excellent, and my wife also found a fresh Line Skinny drink as perfect to sip during a pleasant afternoon. Service was great, with Jen knowledged, entertaining and quick in serving whatever we wanted.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

We had not been able to get back to eating at this restaurant in over 6 months, but today it shows the mark of a great place to visit regardless of the time between stops.

We were greeted at the door and seated immediately in a booth. Drinks and appetizer were quickly ordered and delivered. Faster than expected.

We had delicious meals of shrimp fajitas and combo plate of empanadas. The service was attentive and friendly, an added plus.

The service and food was as good as we remembered and happy that we came back.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Food is fresh and service is consistently great. I love their chili rellenos and their guacamole live!

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 6 September 2017

OTB is becoming our go-to place to stop for lunch/dinner while on a return trip home. We were on our way back to the Central Valley from a stay in Sacramento. OTB continues to be a cozy place to have a good meal in peace. For lunch I ordered a two item combo plate with a carnitas soft taco and a chicken enchilada with green sauce, white cilantro rice and black beans. The sides and the enchilada were excellent. In hindsight, I should have specified corn tortillas. The taco was good but not what I had envisioned. The meat was on the dry side but not terrible. Next time I'll go with the street tacos or the fish tacos, which is what wifey had. It was a good visit, good meal. We had a nice waitress and attentive, but unfortunately she wasn't Alicia. We will definitely return and try something different on the menu.

Date of visit: September 2017

Been to On the Border? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK