“Second time around was better. Nice improvement!”

Little Italian Deli
Ranked #159 of 296 Restaurants in Elk Grove
Cuisines: Deli, Italian
Reviewed 25 June 2015

Nothing's changed here accept the staff, but what a difference in the quality of the sandwich. This time I ordered the Californian with turkey because I figured anything with avacodo has to be good, right? I was waited on by a very nice young lady, helping out her " grandma" who was handling the shop today. Such nice people.

They were down to the last French roll, it had been baked that morning, but Grandma insisted she bake a fresh one for my sandwich which she said would take just about 7 min. Who am I to argue with grandma wanting to bake me a fresh roll!

So, about 10 min later I'm walking out with my sammy and a small potato salad.
Good sandwiich with tomato, lettuce, little bit of onion, chipotle spread and pickles on the side. Very good! Not crazy about the potato salad tho, only because I prefer the potatoes softer rather than very hard.

See you next time!

Reviewed 20 April 2015

It looks like this Deli/sandwich shop just recently opened. They're located inside the Acura car dealership in this auto Auto Mall here in Elk Grove.

It's basically just a small alcove near the customer service area. Plenty of room to make paninis, sandwiches and sell chips, drinks and a couple of prepackaged salads though.

I figured I would try them out and see if I had found another hidden gem (see previous deli reviews) . I started by asking for a sourdough roll but that was a no go. The guy making the sandwiches said they do bake their ownFrench roll though, so I was expecting some good bread.
Since the place is named The Little Italian, I ordered their "Italian Deli sandwich " (Meats and provolone) with everything. While waiting, I asked where their meats come from but the guy didn't know (at leaset he didn't day Costco), but the eatery was opened and is run by someplace in the area called Brickhouse.
So, upon first bite, the sandwich is just ok. Definitely nothing special. The fresh bread? kind. Of dry, kind of under baked and maybe been in the open air a bit too long. Barely any mustard/mayo or produce either. Although I did ask for the sliced pickles and shredded peperochini to be on the side (both pulled from huge jars of already prepared stuff).

Finishing the sandwich, the words that came to mind were salty, dry and skimpy. No hidden gem here, just an OK sandwich that's marginally better than the food trucks that roam most auto malls around lunchtime.

Easy to find, lots of parking (especially for big-rigs), good prices, friendly staff, nice air conditioned cafe area to sit and enjoy a snack.

1  Thank Danny_OI812