Cedar Lodge Motel(Dunsmuir)(Great Value!)
US$ 90
US$ 84
Travelodge by Wyndham Dunsmuir(Dunsmuir)(Great Value!)
US$ 90
Dunsmuir Inn & Suites Hotel(Dunsmuir)(Great Value!)
US$ 111
Hotels.com
Dunsmuir Lodge(Dunsmuir)(Great Value!)
US$ 114
Swiss Holiday Lodge(Mount Shasta)(Great Value!)
US$ 99
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe riverthe ownergas stoveback porchbotanical gardensupstairs loftdog lovestrains rumblingfishing tripnice hot tubrelaxing placebeautiful treesreasonable ratesshort drivehomessoundcharm
Reviewed 20 April 2015

I see a lot of mixed reviews about this place, and I understand! My family has been coming here for literally decades. We all meet up in the area, spend the evenings trading off which family cooks for the rest, and during the day, we clammer down to swimming holes, rivers, lakes, basically a lot of time swimming.
Here's the deal about this place: The cabins are not fancy. If you want something a little more modern, get a hotel room or one of the houses, they're very nice. But the cabins are what I think could be called "rustic". Sure, there are a few things that could be updated, but look where you are, and how many of them you can sit outside and hear the river down below. There's a pool right near them, and a hot tub that's (to my experience) open all night! Honestly, the cabins have been a fond part of my memories for a while now, but I'm one of those people who are just happy to be there. If you can't stand more luxe-style accommodations, as I said: Rent a hotel room, or one of the houses, and you'll be very happy. The cabins are adorable and get the job done more than well-enough.
The family running Cave Springs is incredibly sweet and part of what makes the grounds fun. And-- Not to knock at the competition, but I've been told by a lot of people in my family that, for whatever reason, they've tried other hotels and couldn't wait to get back to Cave Springs.
So maybe, if you need AC and more updated fixtures like in the bathroom, just get a hotel room, and you'll be very happy. For the rest of us, especially the adventurous sorts, the cabins work great.

Room Tip: Try to get the cabins farther away from the main road, and you can hear the river and the trains all night long. :)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Elise A
Reviewed 20 March 2015

This was the absolute low-light of our Oregon trip. I still can't believe we stayed and slept there (on top of their comforters with our own blankets to cover us). Walking barefoot in the cabin wasn't even an option. We stayed in Cabin #14, and it looked as equally shabby as the other cabins scattered around the desolate site. I really don't want to go on and on about how terrible our stay was here, but please know this is a dirty, rundown place. I feel badly speaking so poorly of it, as the owner was a super nice person, just as others have stated.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LuckyChuckie
Reviewed 2 January 2015

If you are looking for or demand the Four Seasons, avoid this place. If you are okay with a 50's motor inn with a super friendly owner (who lives on property) and a warm, cozy bed then the price for what you get is great! Super dog friendly (key for us) with slightly scratchy sheets (nothing we couldn't survive but not a 400 thread count) we would be back and the price is right, especially if you are just looking for a place to land for a night.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nathaniel H
Reviewed 20 September 2014

We were planning a trip to Oregon and I didn't want to drive all the way in one day, so we looked for a place near Shasta, which is about halfway. I found this place on the internet and it sounded nice, so came here, read the reviews, and decided to try it. The website made it sound really great, the pictures were lovely, so I made a reservation for one night. At first, all that was available was a "rustic cabin", so I booked it. A week or two later it occurred to me that it may not have a/c, so called them, and was told the cabins don't have a/c. It was going to be very hot, so I asked if they had an opening with a/c. They did, so I changed my reservation to one of their manufactured homes (ie:trailers). They were very nice and friendly, and accommodating. When we arrived, our first thought was, "is this really a resort"? Our second thought was how is a resort located right next to the freeway? We checked in, the man at the front desk was again, very friendly and accommodating. As we drove to our trailer, we became more and more dismayed. It looked to us like a very old trailer park with a lot of long term residents who didn't take very good care of their trailers and surrounding areas. Directly across from our trailer were some old buildings in a shocking state of disrepair that really need to be torn down. The trailers on either side of us were poorly cared for, not a great vista, and likely occupied by long term residents from the look of them. The place has a swimming pool-we never went down there though, so I won't comment on that. The location was lovely in some areas-right next to a beautiful park on the river, etc. Now to the trailer itself. It was supposed to be one of their newest manufactured homes. It is, in reality, an older trailer that they use for rental. It was clean, but really needs some wall repairs, and there is a wood vent of some kind in the kitchen area that looks like it was kicked in and is sadly in need of repair. The bathroom was pretty clean-I just recommend they have the person who cleans close the bathroom door and sweep behind it-it looked like it hadn't been done in quite a while. The a/c worked okay, but was too noisy to leave on all night, so it was fairly warm inside even though it had cooled off a bit outside, and the ceiling fans were left on. I was thankful though, that if this was one of their newer rentals, not to have ended up in the "rustic cabins". I can't imagine how uncomfortable I'd have been then. All in all, IMO, this is just an old trailer park with some rentals, very nice owners and/or managers, but not worth going back to.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KimR_7
Reviewed 13 September 2014 via mobile

Old motor court cabins aren't for everyone but those of us who love this place are addicted. Relax.Talk. Listen to the river. This is a unique and beloved place. Some day it will fade away but generations of visitors will fondly cherish their memories.

• Stayed: September 2014