The Lautner is an amazing gem of a place. It's a pristine modern masterpiece that is totally cozy and has everything you need for a short getaway or an extended stay. My wife and I stayed there this past week during a hiking trip in Palm Springs/Joshua Tree. Our contact Tracy was beyond accommodating and very responsive to anything we needed. The location is amazing, the space itself is special, and everything inside is more than sufficient. We loved the bed, the sitting area, kitchen and starry view from our pillows. Only suggestion I'd make is a couple pairs of spa slippers since the floor in the mornings can be a little chilly. All in all a lovely place and we can't wait to return to The Lautner.
So I read the most recent review before I booked and I can't speak for other people but I do find it "SUSPECT" that one person was entirely negative about this place. For me, my experience was completely heavenly.
It's 2016 and to expedite things like Checking In, this is EXACTLY how it went for me and the Mrs.
1. The website is very clear and the info provided lets you know exactly what you are booking.
2. Check in instructions come as stated morning of arrival.
3. The Manager Tracy is professional, very hospitable and provides clear communication by phone, email and text. Remember, it's 2016 CHECK YOUR TRASH AND SPAM FILTERS, JUST IN CASE!!!
4. The Property and room exceeded all expectations. Yeah, it's not new at all but you have to search high and wide for ICONIC architecture like this. John Lautner was a true genius architect. Couple that with the MCM furnishings and well...we thought we were like James Bond in Diamonds Are Forever.
5. Because of all this splendor, it's best to follow instructions and abide by hotel policies to ensure that one has excellent experience. We got our Bond on there and did mixed cocktails while repeat listening to Monty Norman James Bond Theme. It was so-so cool.
6. What we expected was a funky hybrid vacay rental/boutique hotel. What we got was even better. A relaxing jetaway getaway that was augmented by the soft bed with clean and pristine linens and fluffy pillows. If you take the time to watch the outdoor light from the windows as the sun moves across the sky, you'll be provided a nature show that needs to be seen. UNREAL.
7. Really close to our venue to watch Earth Wind and Fire. Yeah, we got our groove on...OH YEAH!
Again, I can't speak for others and I see that many other reviews are like mine. We all make the best of our experiences better by being an active participant. All I can say is simply this...MY WIFE AND I ENJOYED THE HELL OUT OF OUR LAUTNER EXPERIENCE.
This is a fine place..nicely refurbished. You will have a good time here and you will wake up happy. In addition to all that Desert Hot Springs can offer it is near Palm Springs. You have several hot springs, both public and private in town.
We spent my birthday weekend in the lovely Hotel Lautner in the Redwood Room. As my husband commented, it was like a dream The mid-century modern ambience from the beautiful architecture of this little 4 room jewel of a hotel, to the authentic period furnishings transported us back in time. But the bath and kitchenette have been updated to 21st century comfort. We lazed about drinking champagne and listening to 1960's LPs in between short trips to the local hot springs for a soak and massage. Ahh! Total relaxation!
I wonder what John Lautner would say these days, if he could see the neighbourhood around his amazing building. Hotel Lautner is a unique oasis in the desert. Forget about the rest of Desert Hot Springs and if you ever come here, just do as Tracy Beckmann and Ryan Trowbridge, the two designers who run the hotel, suggest:
Buy your dinner in one of the supermarkets in town and enjoy your stay in this impressive building with its matching, refurbished interior. Excellent.