“Basic, good value and friendly staff”

Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersSilver level
Woy Woy, Australia
“Basic, good value and friendly staff”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

On my regular visits to La Jolla, I always stay at the "Inn". Pleasantly surprised on this trip to find that major renovations are currently underway. After receiving the usual very friendly welcome from the reception staff I was fortunate to be upgraded to a newly renovated room on the second floor. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet with free wireless service and a view of the Pacific Ocean from the balcony. There is a large parking area behind the Inn providing ample free car parking. The Inn location is great with a 10 minute walk to Del Mar, the beach and a selection of fantastic restaurants. One of my favourite's being El Fuego Mexican, although a little more pricey than the average Mexican in the San Diego area, the food and atmosphere make it well worth the extra $s. A free breakfast is also provided by the Inn, although quite basic, consisting of pastries, cereals and fruits. In former visits yoghurt was also on the breakfast menu but this is no longer available (unfortunately). All in all the Inn is a delightful, reasonably priced hotel in a delightful location and well worth considering for any stay in North County San Diego.

Room Tip: Second and third floors on the western side of the building provide good views of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear Lain C: Just a brief note to “THANK YOU”, one our many valued guests who appreciate our Value, Location, Amenities & Great Staff.

You’re comments nearly sound like an advertisement.

Speaking for all of us here at The Clarion Del Mar Inn; we truly appreciate your very kind comments.

Hope to meet you during your next visit.
Clarion Del Mar Inn

PS: Great Picture of you surfing an awesome wave…
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We got our stay on a discount site but, as we have with other hotels, hoped to pay to upgrade upon arrival. Were checking in with the help of a lovely woman and asked if we could do so. Out of the blue, some other man (short with glasses) became quite rude with us. Slighted the fact we bought on a site the business chose to advertise on and then said there were no nicer rooms for us when clearly there were. I felt horrible for the nice woman. It was embarrassing for all involved.

The room was nice, location great and the breakfast good. But, if that is the quality of employees they have who have no issue humiliating clients publically, we will not be back.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear LosAngelesSparky: Thank you for the great location and good breakfast comments.

Unfortunately, we’re renovating and are very limited on rooms. I investigated your concerns and they have been concluded appropriately.

Please visit again after June 15th, we hope to have hotel completed for summer.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Great Location ! You can watch the pacific from the room itself. Room are well kept. Good decor. Breakfast selection is good.
My only complain is lack of dining option in the hotel itself. Nearby eateries are not that close by. Also, most of them are a bit expensive. If you want a quick bite, then it's a problem.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank nilotpalr
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear nilotpalr: Thank you for the great review! Having the incredible location to view the Beautiful Blue Pacific and Sunsets that take your breath away are one of our greatest attractions.
Regarding your comments of limited dining options at the hotel; yes, currently we do not have full service dining, but are planning to upgrade our breakfast room into the New Bistro C for casual dining within the immediate future.
Hopefully during your next visit; you’ll be able to enjoy our Bistro C food & beverage while visiting our Boutique Hotel in the beautiful Sea Side Village of Del Mar/La Jolla.
Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I had stayed here before and looked forward to an ocean view and all the ammenities I customarily enjoy, but while booking I reserved a room solely for the lowest price. Well, I soon found that there is bad luck and a few less than desirable rooms at this property.

There was a lot of noisy renovation going on which in itself can be overlooked. But then I landed in room 111, which is adjacent to the office and the main entrance where everyone stops to say their last heartfelt goodbyes, or in the morning, passes boisterously by on the path to the breakfast room. Add to that, the ice machine, the elevator and the housekeepers crossroads all converge outside a surprisingly thin door.
The cacophony of sounds, workmens' conversations echoing down air ducts, the skill saws, hammers on nails, housekeepers' vacuum cleaners, and traffic noise became almost humorous, and served to remind me in the future, to read Trip Advisor and keep my guard up. This is a really nice hotel, but one where an upgrade can really come in handy. Don't cheat yourself. Go for the ocean view.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MrWayne
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
My Dearest MrWayne: I can only offer my sincerest apologies for the noise and disruption you encountered during our “MINOR” renovations. There have been several days where guests like you have endured loud noises.

Please accept my heartfelt apology as I completely understand your concerns.

My only hope is you’ll offer us another chance to visit after renovations are completed so that you’ll enjoy our beautiful and luxurious accommodations & amenities that we have to offer.

I know I’m not allowed to offer any kind of a discount in my responses. But, a second chance would be greatly appreciated. I believe you’ll be more than just satisfied; you’ll be pleasantly surprised and appreciated.
Escondido, California
Reviewed 3 March 2012

What a great trip we had! My wife and I went for a weekend getaway last weekend and what a wonderful time we had. The newly remodeled room was gorgeous and the bathroom was beautiful. I am extremely bad at anything that has to do with romance and I asked Mike Chambers at the front desk for helpful ideas to wow the wife. He got me reservations at the Pacifica restaurant withocean view seats at sunset. It really made me look like I actually knew what I was doing. We had such a great time I can't wait until we get the chance to do it again. Thanks Del Mar Inn and thanks Mike.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ben B
Dear Ben B: Your TripAdvisor comments are greatly appreciated. Our new rooms have been the talk of the town. Guests have fallen in love with the Newly Renovated Rooms.

There are still some finishing touches that are required; but nearly complete for your next Staycation here in beautiful Del Mar/La Jolla to enjoy. And yes, Mike is one of our best when it comes to assisting guests with most every necessity.

Thank you for your time & effort to write comments to TripAdvisor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
3.7 km away
Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar

Been to Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK