“Best sushi in the area”

Gen Kai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 146 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2017

I dream about their Poke bowl - always fresh, tons of choices and a nice table seating area aside from the sushi bar. Reasonable prices and good service.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

This is a great little place for sushi. I have been here for dinner and lunch a few times. The food is wonderful. I have always eaten at the sushi bar. I am in the company of a friend who lives around the corner and is a regular. I love the spicy salmon sashimi over a ball of daikon radish. It's quite a presentation. They make a wonderful mixed sashimi salad. I cannot pass up the unagi. I am not a big roll person but the spicy tuna roll is pretty darn good. I ordered the special lunch platter once which was full of sushi and sashimi. The amazing thing is the price. This is great sushi and unbelievably reasonable prices. It allows me to have sushi more often. They do offer a full menu of cooked items and table seating.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

Been dining here for decades, ever since the move to Capo Beach. Totally enjoy the sushi/sashimi, although we always eat in the main dining room as opposed to the sushi bar. The food is consistently good and particularly like the sunset dinners or lunch menu which are great values. I've eaten at numerous Japanese restaurants and yes have been to Japan itself, but this place ranks at the top!

Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

In CA, we do sushi a bit differently... I'm a native Californian but now live in the U.K., and this place brought me back to my roots. I only ordered a Hungry Tiger roll -- a unique combo of tempura shrimp, crab meat, avocado and cucumber covered in tuna, presented on a plate with a delicious spicy sauce. This is typical California sushi ingredients and freshness that I fondly remember. The ambiance fills in the rest of the feeling -- a surf board on the wall, a popular set of stools at the sushi bar, and a waiting list for a table.

Reviewed 16 December 2016

I have been coming here since the 1980's and even though ownership has changed, the restaurant has stayed first rate. This is not a chichi sushi restaurant. It is about the food. The fish is always very, very fresh. We like sashimi. Their rolls are also very good and some quite interesting but not overly elaborate like some sushi restaurant The prices are very reasonable. If you have children, the dining room is child friendly. The sushi bar is sought after by sushi lovers. You can also order take out here.