All reviewsfree parkingbart trainminute walkstayed for nightswharf
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I was passing through SF and needed a hotel close to SFO for an early morning flight. There weren't any good finds around SFO, but I am not unhappy that I ended up staying here. It's a 2 block walk from the BART station, which can take you downtown or airport, so no need to rent a car if you can avoid it.

Once you get off 380, and head towards the Inn, you will pass through an area which is changing into suburbia; I sighed a Costco(!!), a mall,, and new apartment buildings on El Camino Real. I will recommend getting gas closer to the motel than to 380; there was almost a $0.25/gallon between gas stations.

The room was clean & small, but a bit stuffy for a warm summer day. Parking was not an issue & is free. The furnishings were simple, and my sleep was uneventful. My flight was early enough to have sampled their breakfast.

The motel is capitalizing on the pricing structure at other SFO hotels, and can charge a higher rate (in my opinion) than warranted. However, as the development wave moves towards the hotel, I am hopeful that it will be able to justify its rates with a make over itself.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2012

First the good news: friendly staff, very well located for the Colma BART station and for access to SFO, attractive enough room, a few restaurants and markets within walking distance (though maybe better not go too far at night), and a satisfactory continental breakfast in a room adjoining the lobby. Now the other news: something was very strange with the WiFi. In our other (many) motels on this trip, no special problem; but with WiFi here, I could receive but not send messages from my primary ISP. Being too far from home to sort that out, it became inconvenient as the WiFi slowed down due to apparently limited bandwidth. In summary, the WiFi was free but not too useful.

The other thing was potentially more serious, a dispute between two guests in nearby room(s) between 1-2AM, to the point that we tried to phone the front office to sort it out. There was no way we felt safe enough to go out to see, or even turn on our light. But nobody answered. It got to where we wanted to get police to investigate but we thought this would make things even worse. The next day I asked at the desk. The person said they did not answer their phone because "we have to sleep sometime" but that they had in fact called the police, who came and evicted one of the two offenders. The staff member explained all this politely, and said it was a "rare event," but I'm not 100% convinced of that, and think there should have been some safe way to get some action from the staff or owners directly.

So if you accept that this sort of thing happens sometime, and that we lost a night's sleep because of it, and that the WiFi was behaving strangely, then just focus on the good things and take your chances. Without the domestic disturbance, I would have rated this 4 stars.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed here for three nights at the start of our trip in the western USA. We found it to be a pleasant motel. From the hotel to the centre of SF is really convenient with BART. A short walk and in about 25 minutes you are on Union Square. The room was small, clean and have everything we needed. Don’t expect super luxury, it’s good value for what you pay. The breakfast was a bit disappointing. A cup of coffee, a piece of toast and an apple, that’s about it. We were in the hotel only to sleep after arriving late from SFO and then after two packed days visiting San Francisco. For us, it was good enough and much cheaper than anything I could find closer to downtown SF.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We booked this place to stay over four nights into a weekend including a friend's wedding in SF. Perhaps we've read way too many reviews before finalizing my decision, since I wished we actually booked elsewhere within minutes after stepping into our tiny room. My husband and I aren't high maintenance ppl, we typically don't book 5 star rooms for our trips. The bed was horribly small and almost impossible to sleep two full grown adults (husband being 6ft tall and I'm about 5'3" 100lbs..), the room had nowhere to put any of our luggage and the bathroom had no fan. The place overall was pretty clean though, and the staff were quite friendly-but the room was just too much for us to handle. The Inn offered an upgrade with a room with separate full beds for extra cost (haven't seen the actual room so can't comment on it) but the cost would've been similar if we stayed elsewhere that was more pricey. Unfortunately, the place had no vacancy throughout the entire week, so that option wasn't available for us afterall. After barely having any sleep the first night, we ended up staying anyway. The location isn't as convenient as other reviewers had mentioned. It is a bit away from everything else, (depending on what your plans are, I guess;;) and we did drive around in our own car so it was alright. I think we've spent way too much time trying to figure out where to park..and there's barely any place to eat nearby other than some odd Asian joints like JollyBee. My suggestion is, set your priorities before booking hotels/inns in the bay area. I'm not sure if other hotels offer much more, but know what to expect before booking a room at El Camino Inn.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2011

One of the cleanest showers we've ever seen! The rooms are clean, the people are friendly, breakfast is included and the wi-fi works really well. All this makes it an excellent value for the small price. Do not expect a 5-star resort here, this is an Americana motel. But it is very well maintained and you should have no worry. Perfect for people that are landing late in SFO!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple