“Feels like a home away from home”

Villa Capri by the Sea
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I found the Villa Capri about 10 years ago and have made a yearly visit ever since. Spotlessly clean rooms, friendly environment, superb location right across the street from the ocean and very convenient and inexpensive public transportation make this my idea of a perfect getaway spot. As a single traveler, safety is a concern to me, so I really appreciate the personal and caring atmosphere. John, the innkeeper, makes you feel very welcome and has become a friend over the years. He always has good suggestions for tours, restaurants and directions for anywhere you want to go. Thank you for always making it a great holiday!
Lois A., Alberta, Canada

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Lois A

Reviewed 13 November 2011

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Villa Capri for a few days. We had the most wonderful experience, the room we stayed in was immaculate and the service was excellent ! We had nothing we could have asked for, and the Inn Keeper, John Miller was very attentive to whatever our needs were, if we needed up dated information on anything around San Diego, we had to go no further than John.

Room Tip: Ask John the manager, he will suggest whats best for your specific needs !
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Tony S
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Life is grand for the infinite variety of choices it makes available. Choosing a hotel is always a challenge when I travel to anywhere other than the San Diego area. My hotel choice for those trips is easy. Located in Coronado, the Villa Capri by the Sea is an intimate set of rooms run skilfully by long-time innkeeper John Miller. Room choices include traditional one bed affairs and suites with separate bedrooms, kitchens and a living room. It's an easy walk to the beach, shopping, and numerous outstanding restaurants. Stay at the Villa Capri if you're looking for an intimate hotel with easy access to the delights of Coronado and a host who's genuinely interested in the quality of your stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Tim S
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I came to Coronado, from Texas, sixteen years ago to visit my son and daughter. My travel agent found this "gem" for me. From that day forward, Carl and I became frequent guests at the Villa Capri. We moved to San Diego seven years ago. When our family comes, they stay with John Miller at the Villa Capri. We've been to many cities and stayed at 5-star hotels. We've loved those at well. The personal service and the friendships we've established have only added to the richness of our lives. There is nothing that John Miller will not do for his guests. Some consider this to be intrusive and I consider it a plus. This hotel is always clean. It's proximity is perfect in every regard. I am also a "Texas Granny" who now resides in California. Our fourteen year old grandson learned to climb the stairs at the Villa Capri. All of our granchildren have been respectful of the rules as this is a small hotel and they respect the privacy of the other guests. Last weekend our family booked four rooms and a couple from Amarillo, Texas, friends of ours, were also there. They stay at the Villa Capri at least twice a year. We never had to worry about our belongings or our safety and that is beause John Miller is always there and does know every person that enters the property. Unlike many people, I don't depend on a free breakfast at a hotel. I'm on vacation and want to venture out and see all of my choices. John has become a very personal friend of ours and we consider him to be a part of our family. I will always recommend the Villa Capri.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms. John Miller will be honest in helping you make the correct choice for your nee...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Carl and Julie E
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Where do I start? When I am on vacation I want to relax and have a good time. Good luck with that at the Villa Capri! Right from the start I was met by John, the innkeeper, when I parked my vehicle. He met me with a disgusted "how long to you plan on parking that there" look. If I had not been there with my family and did not care about making a scene I would have left at that moment. This is an older outdated hotel on a very noisey street with a lot of traffic. I was disappointed when I saw the 70's ish room considering what I was paying for it, John is friendly and helpful but in a "stalker" kind of way. This reminded me of having to answer to your parents about your comings and goings. This made my whole family uncomfortable.

The continental breakfast had to of been a joke. It was a card table John took from his room and set outside his door. (he lives downstairs in the hotel) It was prepackaged mini donuts and a pump coffee container. This was alittle disturbing.

John made my family so uncomfortable that we left early and found another hotel.

I would only recommend this hotel to people I don't like!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family