“Run Joe Run!”

Villa Capri by the Sea
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Where do I start? When I am on vacation I want to relax and have a good time. Good luck with that at the Villa Capri! Right from the start I was met by John, the innkeeper, when I parked my vehicle. He met me with a disgusted "how long to you plan on parking that there" look. If I had not been there with my family and did not care about making a scene I would have left at that moment. This is an older outdated hotel on a very noisey street with a lot of traffic. I was disappointed when I saw the 70's ish room considering what I was paying for it, John is friendly and helpful but in a "stalker" kind of way. This reminded me of having to answer to your parents about your comings and goings. This made my whole family uncomfortable.

The continental breakfast had to of been a joke. It was a card table John took from his room and set outside his door. (he lives downstairs in the hotel) It was prepackaged mini donuts and a pump coffee container. This was alittle disturbing.

John made my family so uncomfortable that we left early and found another hotel.

I would only recommend this hotel to people I don't like!!

8  Thank TaskMaster1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 September 2011

I would certainly not recommend the Villa Capri Motel in Coronado, CA. We had booked for 5 days, but left after 3. We were made to feel uncomfortable the entire time we were there. Every time we left our rooms or came back to our rooms, John, the live-in manager, would pop out of the office and interrogate us, and remind us of ALL his rules and regulations. Our son picked us up from the airport in his pickup, and John had a fit when he parked his pickup in a Guest parking space long enough for us to get out and unload our luggage, and each time thereafter when he came to pick us up.

I guess the straw that broke the camel's back was one morning when our son and grandbaby came by to have coffee with us at a table beside the pool (this is the complimentary breakfast area – one thermos of regular coffee, no decaf and Hostess mini-donuts and muffins, and a carton of O.J. in an ice bucket.) Our son brought his own coffee and our granddaughter brought her own yogurt. He had his dog with him and tied her up under our table. John came running out and told him to get the dog out of the area. He had to tie his dog up on the sidewalk. IT WAS 7 AM AND THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE IN THE AREA, AND THERE WERE NOT EVEN ANY CHILDREN STAYING AT THE MOTEL AT THE TIME. Right down the street at the bagel shop, people bring their dogs with them and keep them right by their tables - IT'S CALIFORNIA!! Also, the baby dropped a napkin on the ground and John rushed over to pick it up while we were still sitting there. John has a NO SMOKING policy, but he has a small table and ashtray set up right there for his friend. When we questioned him about his selective enforcement of his rules, he said we could have said something if we objected to a smoker. No one had objected to the dog. Where is the good old-fashioned TEXAS common sense?

We moved next door to the Glorietta and there was a world of difference. It is a beautiful, private and relaxing place with a great variety of selections for the complimentary breakfast which is served on real china on a beautiful patio. The staff were friendly and helpful without being intrusive. The Glorietta also has a big parking area where even we Texans would be allowed to park our big SUV's. We REALLY enjoyed the last two days of our stay in CA.and will stay in the Glorietta again next time.

John did loan us some lawn chairs to take to the park to hear the music one night. But, all-in-all, we were uncomfortable, had no privacy and did not enjoy the stay.

Room Tip: Stay at another motel
5  Thank TEXASGRANNY55667
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Will never stay here again! For starters this hotel is outdated and musty, but the real issue is with John, the innkeeper, who lives in the hotel. He is extremely nosey and intruding. He wants to know your comings and goings at all times. You are interrogated each time you leave and upon your arrival back to the hotel. We were bombarded with rules and regulations from the minute we arrived. Although there is a “strict no smoking policy” it is not enforced, it is actually encouraged as there are ashtrays on all the small tables around the pool which have to go through to get to all the rooms.
We did not have hot water the first day we were there so we had to take cold showers after a long day of traveling. The parking is a joke-you practically need a Smart Car to fit into one of the few spaces provided. The continental breakfast is a card table with some store bought donuts and no decaf coffee. The “eat-in” kitchen is tiny and there is no way you can actually sit at the so called table. We left this hotel 2 days early because we were so uncomfortable even though we lost a great deal of money since you are required to pay in full upon check in and there is a 14 day cancellation policy regardless of how you are being treated. (This should tip you off) I will say the one thing this place does have going for it is the organic soap.
We went next door to the Glorietta and it was beautiful and the people were wonderful.
God Bless Texas!

6  Thank galveston65
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The on-site innkeeper is very nosey and does not make you feel comfortable to be there. When you wake up in the morning, you feel like you were just beat up from the beds. The property amenities are limited, besides the use of the beach equipment and location. Don't you dare bring anything that was once on the beach to this beachy motel, or else.

Room Tip: Clean with uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank kaam353
Reviewed 18 April 2011

This is a wonderful place to stay!! John, the Innkeeper is the absolute BEST! We stayed here 19 years ago with our two young sons and returned in April 2011 -- just my spouse and I! This is the cleanest place we have EVER stayed!! Honestly, do they repaint after every guest?!?!? We have stayed in 5 star resorts all over the world, and none have EVER been as clean as the Villa Capri by the Sea! Would not consider staying any place other than here. John (the Innkeeper) keeps the place in tip top shape and he is wonderful! I LOVE this place and can hardly wait to return!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple