“Great place for a family bike rides with views of the bridge”

Silver Strand State Beach
Ranked #8 of 29 things to do in Coronado
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the most beautiful beaches in the San Diego area, the Silver Strand Beach State Park is on the southern coast of Coronado.
Reviewed 13 July 2018

We traveled to the San Diego area and stayed at the Coronado Marriott. Our family loved renting bikes an riding the path to Silver Strand State Beach. We saw lots of local families and it was a kid friendly environment.

2  Thank 551RuthM
in 4 reviews
"bay"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed 2 July 2018

The staff was rude, and the spaces were too small. The beach is beautiful and the sand dollars are amazing. Be sure to read the rules. Don’t show up early because they’ll charge you $10 to park in addition to your camping fees. It’s not worth the hassle to camp here.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

First I have been going to this beach for as long as I can remember. Always loved it here for so many reasons, but mainly for its peaceful location and the great lifeguards. Yesterday though I had a totally different experience. We had moved away for the last decade and just recently moved back. We were so excited to visit our favorite beach where our extended family is camping. My children were enjoying the water with their cousins when my son was stung by a stingray and not just a quick sting ...the thing stuck in his ankle and he had to remove it. We went to the lifeguard for help. She couldnt be bothered to come down from her tower to even look at his ankle or really hear what we had to say. Just told us to put his foot in hot water as its only a stingray sting and dismissed us. We put his foot in a bucket of hot water and my sons foot continued to swell and he went into shock. I rushed him to the local urgent care where they stabilized him, xrayed his foot to be sure No barbs were left in it and treated him, bandaged his ankle and we left with antibiotics to prevent infection from all the sand inside the wound. The lifeguard stand was right behind where we were sitting as my son went into shock and she was too busy gossiping to care about what was happening right in front of her! I went to file a complaint and couldnt get in touch with the park ranger only the lifeguards supervisor who happened to be with her right before I talked to him. I doubt she will be reprimanded for not doing her job. I emailed the park ranger so hopefully I hear back soon. So thoroughly disappointed and disenchanted

Update.. heard back from the park ranger in charge. He was upset to hear what had taken place and will be making sure that his staff is not going to act as the one did yesterday again. We will be in further communication as my son recovers. He was very professional, kind and understanding. Maybe if we can get into the park later this summer we might give them another chance and hopefully not need a lifeguard again but if we did it would be nice to know they are willing and able to help the public. He seems to be a genuine person and good leader..

1  Thank kjkam
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Our family of 8 visited there today June 25, 2018. With 6 adults and 2 children 4 and almost 2 it was the perfect beach to visit in San Diego!! Beautiful gradual beach down to the water. We found shells, sand dollars, built sand castles and found a crab at the water’s edge! A great place to sit is right in front of the Silver Strand Grill...they have food, snacks for purchase and Haagen Daz ice cream bars!! Our favorite! Great bathroom facilities and nice picnic tables to bring your picnic lunch! At the Grill you can also rent umbrellas, chairs, bogey boards etc. The beach has such a beautiful glow to it...glistening with gold sparkles....wonderful!! Our grand daughters loved every moment as did we!! Only $10.00 to park for the day....well worth it!!

2  Thank Jayne L
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

If you are thinking of enjoying a day at the beach with some kind of interesting activity involved for yourself and perhaps for your kids, you should come here! Here you can add “collecting sand dollars” to your “things to do list” while at this beach, and should become a fun activity for the whole family. We lost track of time finding sand dollars, once we got the hang of it! Be sure to put a lot of sunscreen on to protect yourself from sunburn. We were able to find a lot more walking along the shore towards the del hotel, from about the point where the crowds tend to disappear. Being barefooted might be easier to walk so you can get closer to the waters without losing your flip flops every time the waves catches up to you.
If you don’t want to pay the state daily usage park fee of $10 per vehicle, you can find some sand dollars at nearby Imperial Beach as well.