“Pizza and salad”

Christopher's at the City Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in Columbia
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 24
Description: Fine dining in an historic gold rush setting. New owners as of June 2015.
Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

This former biker bar has a lot of character. The menu consist of some salads and a variety of pizza and calzones. My husband and I and his brother and my sister-in-law have been there a couple of times. It's not a bad place for some character in Columbia. I don't drink so the bar part doesn't really pertain to me that my Brother and sister in law like having a beer with their pizza.

Date of visit: May 2017
George S, Owner at Christopher's at the City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

I'm afraid you are reviewing a different business other than the City Hotel Restaurant. The City Hotel is a restaurant of the gold rush era and does not serve any pizza's or calzones. There is another business in Columbia that serves pizza's.

Reviewed 26 April 2017

Its overall OK , appetizers truffle fries were good a little too much salt and I love salt. the pork chop was a little over done , the special rib eye was order medium and received RARE, like I took it home and cooked in the frying pan for breakfast and it was perfect. my wifes wine did not get brought until after we were done eating.
Although I do thing I might try it again this visit missed the mark

Date of visit: April 2017
George S, Owner at Christopher's at the City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

Very sorry for your dining experience the other day. Anytime there is a problem please let your server know and we will make it right. If you don't say anything we have no idea of these problems so we encourage you to speak up, good or bad. Hope your next experience will be much better.

Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for four star accommodations, go to Vegas. The City Hotel offers comfortable 1850s decorated rooms and a parlor. Wifi absolutely sucks, but we stay there to get away from 2017. Downstairs is one of the best restaurants in the Mother Lode, Christopher's. Adjacent to Christopher's is the atmospheric What Cheer Saloon, the oldest bar in the Sierra foothills. A great day at Columbia is to book a room at the City Hotel, wander through historic Columbia, dine at Christopher's, see a wonderful Sierra Repertory Theater stage show at the Fallon House and then have a night cap at the What Cheer before retiring.

Date of visit: January 2017
George S, Owner at Christopher's at the City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2017

Thanks Roman for the nice review. Sorry about the wifi in the State park, sometimes its good, other times not so good. Christopher at the City Hotel tries hard to provide a wonderful dining experience. Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 31 October 2016

The menu posted outside only told part of the story. I was making certain that this restaurant had enough choices to please everyone. Verifying that it had plenty, my friend and I decided to come back after picking up my wife. It was so worth the wait. While a duet played the perfect music to dine by, we ordered and enjoyed what feels like a big step back in time when a miner might have tallied his gold and moseyed on over to reward himself with a fine dinner. The servers are decked out in period gowns and it's a wonderful atmosphere. The buildup to the meal was well supported by what was delivered to the table. I can only describe three meals as perfection. Beautifully prepared, plentiful, absolutely delicious and fairly priced. I had the chicken marsala, and it was easily the best I've ever had. My wife and I had no room for dessert, but our friend (who lives in Europe) had to have the apple tart with the dollop of vanilla ice cream, and she swore it was the best dessert she's ever had. Bottom line: The City Hotel is a hidden jewel. Take a walk around an amazingly preserved Gold Rush town and work up an appetite. I feel confident that you'll be writing you own glowing review.

Date of visit: October 2016
2  Thank 415Mark650
Reviewed 11 October 2016

If you're planning to visit Columbia State Historic Park, City Hotel is an excellent historic building you can actually stay in and also dine in. The room is decorated as it might have been during the gold rush, and the wait-staff dress accordingly. The menu has a lot of choices, all of them look good, and everything we had was delicious; the service was exceptional. We have dined here several times before, and are very pleased with Cristopher, who is the new operator of this restaurant. In fact, we ate here both nights we were in Columbia, it was that good.

Date of visit: September 2016
3  Thank 00Bruce00
George S, Owner at Christopher's at the City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2016

Thank you for your review of the restaurant. Our service staff, Chef Christopher and cooks are dedicated to providing the highest possible wonderful dining experience.