Open today: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Review Highlights
Fantastic day of adventure, fun and lots of smiles

Marcello was a fantastic guide, we had a blast so fun! Great lunch! Easy to book the front... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Julie T
Napa, California
So much fun!!! OUTSTANDING staff!

Reviewed 28 August 2023
Amanda H

All reviews middle fork american river rafting trip white water rafting bathrooms and showers thrilling experience super fun water level fantastic trip raft guide rapids awe rafted helmets safety company blast
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 August 2023

Highly recommend American Whitewater Expeditions! This was my first time rafting and the trip was very organized and well-run. The staff were friendly, funny, informative, and highly skilled. Everything felt under control and as safe as an extreme water sport can be! They did a great job answering questions and letting me know what to expect as we went.

My experience: I went solo but still had such a wonderful time with the people I met that day and was teamed up with. Our river guide, Pablo, did an outstanding job making sure we knew how to navigate each rapid and follow his directions. He also made sure we were okay and having fun all along the way. You're one of the lucky ones if you get him for a guide!

Recommendations: I rafted the Middle Fork and definitely recommend good shoes that will STAY PUT on your feet! There is one particularly rough rapid where you will have to walk a short way on the very rocky shoreline, so you want shoes that won't slip around on your feet. And bring plenty of sunscreen!!

Nice to know: The only detail I wasn't clear on until the 'day of' was what to do with the gear I didn't want to take on the raft. They allowed me to leave my cinch-pack (wallet, phone, keys, etc.) and towel in the shuttle van and assured me that the driver would be with the van the entire time I was rafting, so I felt safe leaving that all behind.

Also, I want to say I was highly impressed with the camaraderie between the river guides, including those from other companies, who shared the river. You can tell these guys really love what they're all doing and they treated each other with such respect. I saw only teamwork among them all, never any one-upping or inappropriate competitiveness (splashing each other with paddles was as crazy as it got!). That was wonderful to see and gave an extra sense of safety. I can't say enough how much I enjoyed the staff and their work - thank you Pablo, Ben, and Howie!

Don't forget to bring cash for a tip - these guys definitely deserve it!

Reviewed 22 August 2023

Six of us did full-day Middle Fork ride and had a FABULOUS time! The amount of #3 and #4 rapids was about right - enough to keep it exciting but with plenty of float time in between to dry off and warm up a bit. Our guide was Ben, and he was everthing you could ever want in a raft guide. Incredibly fun, knowledable, and a very skilled boat handler. He kept us all safe (out of the river), and added some extra adventures along with way if we wanted them. We felt like we had the absolute best possible guide and best rafting company available. Would really reccommend AWE if you're looking for a company - they clearly had the best looking (newer) boats and just seemed to be a bit elevated compared to some of the others that were around us. Great staff all around - van driver Heather and all of the other guides were professional and very friendly. They seemed to be a very experienced bunch.

Reviewed 14 August 2023

This was super fun and exciting! Our guide Cecelia was skilled and making sure we were having a great time and staying safe. We did the half day Chili Bar trip and the timing was perfect. Loved jumping off rocks into the water at our break stop! The whole operation seemed organized and well done. Would definitely do this again!

Reviewed 10 August 2023 via mobile

We did a 21 mile whole day South Fork trip. Everything with American Whitewater is first class. We have a fairly adventurous 16 and 13 year old and this trip was the perfect blend of challenge and excitement without overly worrying about safety. Every employee demonstrates a level of enthusiasm as if it were their first trip down the river. Our family had an absolute blast! Our guide Prescott was outstanding. He was safety conscious yet adventurous and informative about the area and led us through some very fun rapids. Do not be reluctant to do the 21 mile trip. It is well worth it and the lunch provided on the river was also great. This is a first class operation with so many great people working there. When choosing an outfitter on the American River I would look no further than this company. Thanks for such wonderful memories!!!

Date of experience: July 2023
Reviewed 3 August 2023

Wow! My second time on the American River with this company this summer and it was even better than the last!
Friendly and helpful staff, great camping accommodations, delicious food, and most importantly, professional and experienced guides!
Highly recommend booking a multiple-day visit on both the middle and lower forks of the river.